Whats the best alternative to an iPhone?

Tell me something that the I Phone can do that the Satio can't?

Don't say "ooh app store" by the way, because 90% of the apps that aren't pointless rubbish ("ooh it's a lightsaber!") are available on other platforms too.

Better camera

Changeable battery

Memory card slot

Bluetooth (admittedly now fixed in the 3gS)

Video recording (as above)

Free on contracts other than £85 a month monsters

Your turn.

Just had to google this phone I'm afraid as I hadn't heard of it.

- Don't really care about the battery, last long enough for me, car charges it as does my laptop while i'm working.

- 16/32gb of onboard memory, no need for a memory card slot, plus i plug it into any computer and it acts like a memory stick would for photos etc.

- Not bothered about the camera, if I want to take a nice shot i'll use my "camera" if I want to take photos of the cat being stupid then the 3.2mp camera it has is perfectly adequate.

- Bluetooth links up fine to my car and that's all i need it for.

- It has Video recording.

- 3GS was free as an upgrade due to the amount of airtime i use and contract is £44.05p a month.

To be perfectly honest, I agree with you on the app thing. I'm not massively bothered about them, some are useful, some of the games are good but there is so much useless tripe that I rarely bother.

I like the iPhone as I use a mac and mobileMe already. I used to have a Blackberry 8820 and loved it.

I'll go back to my previous point about camera phones, just because it has 12.1mp doesn't make it a digital SLR.

EDIT: Sorry not to answer the question:

Its not about what more it can do, which as far as I can tell is probably nothing more, its how it does it and in what manner.

I've never been a fan of Symbian OS, I like the iPhone OS it works nicely.

Edited by JoeS

I've never been a fan of Symbian OS, I like the iPhone OS it works nicely.

That is Apple's greatest strength, their UI engineers, and their understanding of not only form, but feel.

That is Apple's greatest strength, their UI engineers, and their understanding of not only form, but feel.

Agreed. There may be phones with much better technical specs, but I have seen no competition to the iPhone for sheer useability and intuition.

Many engineers could, and should, learn from Apple's success here. Products need to go beyond function to present a complete package.

This is why products such as Linux will never be successful, barring huge changes in design philosophy. Sure, you could probably use it to do what you want to, more or less, but you'd have to be completely masochistic to enjoy doing so.

This is why products such as Linux will never be successful,

No, I think it's why Apple computers do so well. Linux is successful enough, and isn't competing with Apple in a meaningful sense. Both can succeed.

I'm unsure about shelling out a fair bit of cash for an iPhone, anyone know whats a nice priced alternative to it?

How about a few coins in your pocket to use a public pay-phone?

Or if you want to be a bit more modern, a cheap mobile phone and a cheap MP3 player? :hihi:

I don't get this obsession with phone cameras? Sony ericsson still seem to think that adding more megapixels to a pretty terrible lens will sell phones...

Have a phone and have a camera too.

The point is for taking impromptu shots or photos when you didn't want to carry around multiple devices.

I don't normally leave the house carrying a camera, I do normally carry my phone.

It's exactly the same argument for convergence of mp3 players (although I do have a separate one as my phone is too large to jog with it in a pocket).

The quality of phone photos isn't as good as even a basic camera, but it's more than sufficient to display on a monitor or upload to facebook.

This is so true.

Mobiles have had touch screens and browsers for years, but they were so badly designed and executed that they were unusable gimmicks. The iphone changed all that by offering an amazing easy to use screen and a fantastic browser.

This is why mobile internet usage by iphone users far exceeds that of any other mobile OS.

Apple knows that people have to not only want the product, but once they have it they want to USE it.

Maybe the OP just holds the iphone as an example of a device to:

a) make calls

b) use facebook

c) listen to music

If thats the case, there a lot of phones out there that will do that for less $. No need to start arguing amongst yourselves..

I bought the nokia 5800, because it was cheaper than an iphone. Had no reason to complain as yet, apart from the supplied headphones being rubbish. Simply couldn't justify the extra expense when all I do is a), b) and c)..

Maybe we should be asking the OP what they want from the phone, then advise from there... if they just want calls and a camera for a quick snap, then a C902 or older K800i would be more than enough, but if they specifically want touch screen, then something like a Samsung Jet, or Tocco would be the key...

If they want more advanced options like video (which the Jet can do) other 'none standard' things then something like the N98, or 5800 (even though I hate nokia)

But you can't have an 'alternative' to an iPhone, none compare, while there are similarities between some phones and the iPhone (wether it be features, size, usablility etc) where some beat the iPhone in some aspects, they fall short in others...

Tell me something that the I Phone can do that the Satio can't?

Play GTA CTW?

http://www.rockstargames.com/news/2009/08/31/381/grand_theft_auto_chinatown_wars_also_coming_to_iphone%E2%84%A2_and_ipod%C2%AE_touch

Don't say "ooh app store" by the way, because 90% of the apps that aren't pointless rubbish ("ooh it's a lightsaber!") are available on other platforms too.

No, they're not. No other phone is supported with applications approaching anywhere near the quality or range.

When you consider the publisher support, iPhone is unbeatable at the moment.

Edited by Magilla

The Nokia N900 out in October 23rd will be good alternative from the iPhone

Yet another Nokia with ANOTHER different OS.... don't bother