Night Walk 30th October - Now Cancelled

But Lohtse, I thought you would be making us all some hot chocolate on your magic stove in the middle of the night! :)

You take care and hopefully we'll see you soon.

:wave::wave:

So no answer as to why it was cancelled. ?

Since i posted my question i've read the infighting posts from the previous walk, is this to do with that. ?

Forgive me if i've missed something but my initial reaction to all this was "how petty."

Will prospective new members be welcomed at the "clear the air" meeting, just so we know the rules mind. ?

What a shamebles.

This is the fourth such incident that I'm aware of (so there may be more)

We went out with the group in its infancy, but when it became evident that the rules any normal group of walkers would adhere to weren't present in this group, we chose to return to our own walks

This internet group was set up such that ANYBODY could do their own walks and report and post pics afterwards, discuss walking topics etc, but the emphasis shifted to one specific group of people posting only on walks arranged on the forum boards - so it's no longer the internet space it once was

Some of us make our own arrangements with other forumers these days ;)

Too the two posters above.... Firstly...... Am not always able to get online as soon as someone posts as I actually have a life and a job and both are somewhat more important than posting replies at someones whim........ So stand down and give people time to do so, just take a look at the time this reply has been placed (04.38)and this is due to actaully find time during my DUTY PERIOD.. As too the second posters comments DON'T hijack someone else post to air your concerns or grievances.... Keep them for a threat that is for that purpose.....

Regards

Lohtse

Now as to why the night walk has been cancelled this is due to myself having to now be on DUTY on the date of the night walk and has NOTHING to do with any current problems with other groups. SO DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS TILL YOU KNOW THE FACTS.......

So no answer as to why it was cancelled. ?

Since i posted my question i've read the infighting posts from the previous walk, is this to do with that. ?

Forgive me if i've missed something but my initial reaction to all this was "how petty."

Will prospective new members be welcomed at the "clear the air" meeting, just so we know the rules mind. ?

What a shamebles.

Hi Megalithic,

Sorry your question wasn't answered sooner, but as this was a walk organised by an individual, not the Shamblers group, I personally did not have the answer to give you.

As for being welcomed to the meeting on Monday, as I and fellow walkers have said, anyone who is interested in the future of the group who has anything constructive to say, are most welcome. Bruno who will be chairing the meeting is a relative newcomer to the group and is not involved in its organisation, to ensure a degree of impartiality.

To an outsider the previous posts regarding the last walk may come across as petty, but the safety of a group of people on a walk has to be paramount. Whether the group that were on the walk on Sunday were actually in danger or not was not really the issue. The issue was that there are certain rules put in place to minimise the risk of potential dangers on a walk as far as possible. If people on a walk disregard these rules, then there is a serious problem that needs addressing to ensure that future walks are as risk free as possible. At the same time, if people perceive that the rules that are in place are fundamentally wrong, then this needs addressing too - hence the meeting.

As for it being a 'shambles', I think if you look at the wider picture, it is far from it. There was a problem on a walk, this was noted, and as soon as was humanly possible a meeting was set up to try to re-look at the rules and safety measures we do have in place to ensure we enjoy our walks in as safe a manner as we can.

This is a group in its infancy that is evolving, & as with any group or organisation, there will be problems that need addressing. It would be a 'shambles' if we ignored these problems & pretended everything was hunky dory. We haven't done that, we have acknowledged this, hence the meeting.

I am also positive that the outcome will make the group a much stronger and better group than it was before. Then we can get back to what we do best - enjoying the social aspect of being on a walk with a group of friends & having a jolly good laugh. This is what the Shamblers is supposed to be about - the emphasis being on the social side of things. Although we try to arrange the odd challenging walk, anyone wanting regular physically challenging fast-paced walks would be better either joining another group or organising their own.

I hope this helps to put everything into perspective for you, and I look forward to eventually meeting you at last! :D

Edited by Hemlock
spelling

This is the fourth such incident that I'm aware of (so there may be more)

We went out with the group in its infancy, but when it became evident that the rules any normal group of walkers would adhere to weren't present in this group, we chose to return to our own walks

This internet group was set up such that ANYBODY could do their own walks and report and post pics afterwards, discuss walking topics etc, but the emphasis shifted to one specific group of people posting only on walks arranged on the forum boards - so it's no longer the internet space it once was

Some of us make our own arrangements with other forumers these days ;)

Hi Strix,

I think your first point is very valid, when you went walking with the group, (pre my time) this is what it was - a group in its infancy without any rules.

It was acknowledged that this needed addressing, hence the birth of the Shamblers, who have tried to put some common-sense rules in place to make the walks as safe as we can, without taking away the essential fun side of things. It was because these common-sense rules that were put in place for everyone's safety did not seem to be adhered to, that we are re-addressing these rules again so we can evolve as a group.

There will be at least 2 very experienced walkers at our meeting who will be offering us their expert advice, & this advice will hopefully help to ensure that all future walks are as safe as possible.

Also, this internet group is still used for anyone to set up & discuss their own walks - this thread being a perfect example of that. Anyone is free to post anything walk related they want. Giving our group a name was an attempt to distinguish this group from anyone else who wishes to post on here - making it clearer for people flicking through which are our organised walks & which are not.

I'm glad you have found a group of friends that you are happy walking with, enjoying walking with a group of friends is what its all about:thumbsup:

Too the two posters above.... Firstly...... Am not always able to get online as soon as someone posts as I actually have a life and a job and both are somewhat more important than posting replies at someones whim........ So stand down and give people time to do so, just take a look at the time this reply has been placed (04.38)and this is due to actaully find time during my DUTY PERIOD.. As too the second posters comments DON'T hijack someone else post to air your concerns or grievances.... Keep them for a threat that is for that purpose.....

Regards

Lohtse

So sorry to hijack your thread Lohtse with the above 2 long-winded posts - I hope you will forgive me:D

So sorry to hijack your thread Lohtse with the above 2 long-winded posts - I hope you will forgive me:D

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!! I'm DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.I SAY I'm DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

(private joke between me and Hemlock)

Edited by Hemlock
Size of font problems

Now as to why the night walk has been cancelled this is due to myself having to now be on DUTY on the date of the night walk and has NOTHING to do with any current problems with other groups. SO DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS TILL YOU KNOW THE FACTS.......

where did i assume ?

If you read my post i asked the question "is this to do with the in fighting".

As for the other post, i didn't call it a shambles, if you re-read it it actually says shamebles referring to it being a shame the walk was called off.

Btw, thanks for the reply Hemlock, should have said that first but wanted to clear up the 2 points posted above first.

Btw, thanks for the reply Hemlock, should have said that first but wanted to clear up the 2 points posted above first.

Hi just wanna say welcome to this section of the forum, yes please feel free to come along to the meetingm it will give you an insight to how we are and how it all runs, AND if you have any questions or points to make they are very much welcome........ As for me Chairing the meeting, I don't mind at all as long as it's been cleared with the the committee of walk co-ordinators.

feel free to join it the current thread for the meeting Quick link here