Digital Region - Work has already started in Sheffield.

With the country billions in debt, it seems an utter waste of money to spend millions of public money just so that geeks can illegally download movies and play computer games faster.

This project should be scrapped and the money saved put towards paying off the national debt.

With the country billions in debt, it seems an utter waste of money to spend millions of public money just so that geeks can illegally download movies and play computer games faster.

This project should be scrapped and the money saved put towards paying off the national debt.

This project should create jobs for the young & old. And I think better broadband is a must for everyone unless you like waiting hours for your downloads.

For those that are interested - the Digital Region Project has already started laying cables in Sheffield.

Today I was walking along Tinsley Park Road and noticed that the footpath had recently been dug up. A little further along the road (under Greenland Rd bridge) there were some roadwork barriers and a sign on one of them said the work was on behalf of Digital Region. It appears to be cable laying looking at the size of the trench that has been dug. These works continue along Tinsley Park Road and end near it's junction with Shepcote Lane.

Does anyone else know of any other Digital Region cable laying works in Sheffield?

Does anyone on here work on the Digital Region project and can give me an update as to how the rollout is progressing? I've looked on the website but it doesn't appear to have been updated recently.

http://www.digitalregion.co.uk

Thanks.

Yes Digital region have been laying cables on Greystones road, will investigate more tonight.

One silly question :loopy: ........

Will this fibre optic cable run down our main telephone sockets? Cos I dont have a VM line? :huh::roll:

I believe it is a FTTC (Fiber To The Cabinet) solution, so the fiber cabling runs to a green cabinet near you and then the final connection to your house is the usual copper phone line.

So yes, it will come in via the normal phone line (I believe, if I am wrong please feel free to correct me!) as this network has nothing at all to do with VM (thankfully).

If it runs in the same way as the BT fiber rollout then you will need a new router, my feeling is that first adopters will be offered an engineer install much like the ye olde days of ADSL.

Whatever happens it is a very exciting development for South Yorkshire, despite the ever present whining of Mr G Bennet.

Right...

Saw the builders this morning and this is how it went down.

Me - Morning

DR - Morning

Me - Is this Digital Regions work?

DR - Yes mate

Me - Fibre optic?

DR - Yes

Me - When will you finish up?

DR - Well the work is nearly finished but the fibre wont go live until about 6 months

Me - Ok, will you be using BT lines?

DR - Yes as we are nearly finishing linking the lines as we have a contract with BT

So theyre you have it, and I'ts good to know theyre working with BT!

For those that are interested - the Digital Region Project has already started laying cables in Sheffield.

Does anyone else know of any other Digital Region cable laying works in Sheffield?

Thanks.

They were working on Greystones Road near the school the last couple of days.