Digital Region - Work has already started in Sheffield.

For those that are interested - the Digital Region Project has already started laying cables in Sheffield.

Today I was walking along Tinsley Park Road and noticed that the footpath had recently been dug up. A little further along the road (under Greenland Rd bridge) there were some roadwork barriers and a sign on one of them said the work was on behalf of Digital Region. It appears to be cable laying looking at the size of the trench that has been dug. These works continue along Tinsley Park Road and end near it's junction with Shepcote Lane.

Does anyone else know of any other Digital Region cable laying works in Sheffield?

Does anyone on here work on the Digital Region project and can give me an update as to how the rollout is progressing? I've looked on the website but it doesn't appear to have been updated recently.

http://www.digitalregion.co.uk

Thanks.

I cant believe that this whole project is out of date already.

I have just found out that the main connection will still be copper wiring so the full capacity of the BDSL lines for Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster will be 25Mb making it old hat compared to Bournemouth which is running at 100Mb now.

This needs to be a full future proof fibre optic system so we can build on the speeds as the technology becomes available. Sheffield council and the others need to look at the fibre city example of Bournemouth to make Sheffield a place that will encourage business and not drive it away.

Another thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=528648

Edited by kipper

its all pointless now BT is going live wih 21CN

21CN will be unusable anyway. They are capping it at 20gb a month; the download rate at full speeds the transfer is 18GB PER HOUR. So the internet service will be totally useless. (No ones going to download something that much, but considering that you can get that amount per hour, it really makes the whole thing useless)

That's why you go for an LLU supplier.

I download over 18gb a week and no problems on O2.

As Kipper says, H2O Networks and FibreCity holdings have laid fibre to the home in Bournemouth and are planning to in Dundee. They are also looking to do this in a number of other cities and towns around the country. Once installed then people will get up to 100Mbs guaranteed (i.e. if you order a 10Mbs or a 50Mbs or a 100Mbs service the speed will be guaranteed) and it is synchronous... same speed upload and download!

More at the web site: Google: H2O Networks, Dark Fibre.

Thanks.

I cant believe that this whole project is out of date already.

I have just found out that the main connection will still be copper wiring so the full capacity of the BDSL lines for Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster will be 25Mb making it old hat compared to Bournemouth which is running at 100Mb now.

This needs to be a full future proof fibre optic system so we can build on the speeds as the technology becomes available. Sheffield council and the others need to look at the fibre city example of Bournemouth to make Sheffield a place that will encourage business and not drive it away.

Mine says it’s coming June 2010.

@ Paddy I have spotted in my area (burngreave) that they are laying fibre optic and a new cabinet.

Exciting times, but hope the prices are good! :huh:

genkville, did you manage to get the name of the people that are laying the fibre and putting the cabinets in? Is it SCD?

Cheers!

genkville, did you manage to get the name of the people that are laying the fibre and putting the cabinets in? Is it SCD?

Cheers!

Hi Firbe

I'm not sure to be honest they did not have any van logo's or badges just workmen digging roads.

This is how it panned out, I was walking down my street and noticed some builders fiddling with "BT" green exchange box and thought what are they up to :confused: after i come home from work I noticed they have started digging up main roads and I looked down sneakily and noticed some tape labelled "Fibre Optics" I then asked the builders "Is this virgin media's work? (I cant get VM on my street) They replied looking clueless :confused::loopy: "Ermmm we don’t know to be honest" I thought typical builders lol.

I then came to work this morning and noticed they had patched the roads up and cornered of an area off, had a quick sneak at that area and I could see this square patch with big pipes sticking out and I knew straight away that they are going to be putting an exchange their so when the golly good builders come by again I will try and get more answers from them.

They should have a sign on their barriers and one of the names/logos on there will be "Thales". If you see that, they are laying the ducts (not sure if they have laid the fiber at the same time, I never hung around long enough to see) for the Digital Region fiber network.

They have just finished laying them around here and I am so excited I almost wee myself when I see the new cabinet. ;)

gribz - I am so excited I almost wee myself when I see the new cabinet. ;)

Thats exaxtly how i feel! :hihi:

Just the thought of being able to download @ 25MB (I know estimate) is fookin crazy! no more waiting hours and hours.

One thing that might put me off is the price! they have to be very careful, I would pay £19.99 for a 25mb connection with unlimted downloads.

and it is synchronous... same speed upload and download!

That will be worth having (Virgin Media are very stingy with their upload speeds).