Weighing an unborn baby?

My friends daughter-in-law has had a scan recently, and they were told the baby weighed 4lb something.. quite intrigued how they do this?!

Is it something to do with the measurements, or can they somehow work out with the weight of the mother from one scan to the next?

Something to do with the scanning machine features i think - i'm not too sure.

I had a scan at 25+4 and they estimated her at 1lb 10ozs - however, i have been told these aren't always correct. Just a rough guideline.

It's an estimate based on the measurement of the length of the baby, diameter of the head and similar measurements, but it's only an estimate and it's frequently hugely inaccurate.

A friend was told that her baby weighed 7lb when she was scanned at 36 weeks, but when she had the baby at 37 weeks she weighed a little under 5lb. That's a huge margin of error.

yes i know a few people that have been told the babys 'weight' a few weeks before birth and they were very out. think its something to do with circumference of babys tummy along with length. not sure how they do it but from my experience its not very reliable.

When I was pregnant they never did this but the MW would feel around my tummy and when I was a few days before my due date said 'Ooooh its a big un this one.. be prepared' like I wasnt scared enough, she later 'measured' me and said 'oooh atleast 9lb, very big boy youve got in there' Everyone said it, 8lb-9lb.. He was 7lb exact. Its a scare factor IMHO!

If you search through the threads, theres my thread of forummers guessing my babys weight! It'll be from January 2008.. if its still around. :hihi:

My little one was scanned when i was 42weeks and was estimated at 8lb12oz!

2 days later he was evicted and was 8lb 11oz!! sometimes they get it right!

We were told our daughter was 7lbs at 36 weeks and she was born a week later weighing 5lbs8oz

i was told my 1st would weigh in at 7lbish and he was 9lb 3oz. my 2nd i was told would be bigger around 9lb and he was 10lb and during my last pregnancy they kept saying she would be no more than 8lb even 2 days before she was born they said she would be around 7lb 7oz- 8lb and she weighed in at 9lb 14oz at birth! so i wouldnt really go along with there weight but after all it is only an estimation.

I was told to expect my baby being 8lb 10oz- 9lb. I was induced at a week overdue and my son was 7lb 2oz so it was way out!