Hardworking people get nothing!!

I think what people tend to forget is that if you work you're likely to improve your position and be able to aspire to things like foreign holidays, better living conditions and the trappings of modern day consumerism. It's not easy, I'm not saying it is, but with the application of hard work and ambition just about anything is achievable.

However, living on benefits as a lifestyle choice means that these dreams can only ever be that, dreams.

Watching a documentary or travel show depicting exotic places can mean different things to those in work to those who choose not to work. To the first, it could mean a holiday destination some time in the future. To the latter, it will always remain a TV program.

I can see where the OP is coming from, I know it's an age old argument and to be truthful I'm not sure how I would feel about it if I myself were on benefits but occasionally I get annoyed that people who receive benefits can then get extra "benefits" as a result.

Recently, my son brought home a letter from school (comprehensive). It was advertising a new type of scheme or such like where, if your children are eligable for free school meals then the child qualifies to attend extra activities through the school. These activities included rock climbing, day trips out, sports activities etc etc.

Now my problem is, my son's friends were able to enrole for theses activities but because my fella is a hard working bloke and doesn't claim benefits, my lad can't join in the fun with his mates.

I know there are people in receipt of benefits who don't think that it's much fun (I'm sure it's not, I wouldn't want to be in that position), and there are many parents who don't chose to be in that position (as there are people who do!), but I know (and I do know) of people that are claiming benefits (some of them no intentions of going into work) and have much more expendable money at the end of the week than hard working families have.

So my point is, don't have the luxury of being able to afford to take our kids out and for the same kind of activities as this scheme offers as after we have paid out our rent for the house, council tax, dinner monies, bills etc etc, we are barely keeping our heads above water, so why don't we qualify for schemes like this, we are just as hard up as a person on benefits its, if not worse.

my bold - I do hear what you are saying although one argument that was put to me recently was that if you are claiming benefits you are not allowed to have any savings, so they spend all their money on TVs etc (mass sweeping generalisation, sorry about that) because if they opened a bank savings account they would lose their benefits. Not sure how much truth is in this though to be honest.

Recently, my son brought home a letter from school (comprehensive). It was advertising a new type of scheme or such like where, if your children are eligable for free school meals then the child qualifies to attend extra activities through the school. These activities included rock climbing, day trips out, sports activities etc etc.

Did you know that there is now a scheme to give a Netbook and accessories to the value of £500 to kids who are on free school meals?

Did you know that there is now a scheme to give a Netbook and accessories to the value of £500 to kids who are on free school meals?

Your point being?

Thanx for that :) I feel much better :(

I still feel really strongly on how unfair it all is, this is one of the things that has really gotten to me, I can't tell you how appalled I am with these type of schemes.

I know there will be people on benefits reading this who think I'm just a whining so an so, as like I say there are people who hate being on benefits, infact a friend of mine is a single parent with 3 kids (not through her own choice) and she is so ashamed (I'm not saying for one minute that there should be any shame in it) of being on benefits that she pays for the kids school dinners rather than claim free ones, so yeah there are people who hate it but there are also others who make a career out of it, and enjoy flaunting their new tv's etc.

why are their children different to mine, why do their children deserve days out and activities but mine don't? A family of 5 say, on benefits receive "more" than a family of 5 not on benefits, if you take into consideration the rent/mortgage payments and council tax etc, this I know as fact as yes I know people who receive them and how much they receive.

We all want the best for our kids but these two examples only tell me that kids such as mine and others like them are missing out on things because their parents choose to work or indeed are lucky enough to work but now I am starting to wonder who the lucky ones actually are!

Edited by muckynees

A single parent with 3 kids ( not her own choice) who`s is it then?. did the pixies

bring them.

A few years ago I had to register myself as homeless, aged 20. I was working full time in a very secure job, could pay the rent, bills, council tax, however was told that cos I don't abuse drugs or alcohol, haven't a criminal record, and don't have children, I didn't have a leg to stand on. The council officer asked me "do you have a boyfriend?" When I replied no, and asked for the reason that question was asked, her response was "I was just wondering if you wanted a baby, as you'd get top priority if you are pregnant". I couldn't believe my ears!! Yes, I was irresponsible enough to have got on the wrong side of my mother and get thrown out of home :hihi:, but I wasn't irresponsible enough to just decide to have a baby to get somewhere to live!!

Needless to say, I ended up taking on a private rented flat, the only thing I could afford, that was vile, but it was a roof over my head.

A single parent with 3 kids ( not her own choice) who`s is it then?. did the pixies

bring them.

funny aren't ya?

Just to re-iterate for the cheap seats, she is single "not through her own choice"

Could you type this again with some punctuation? We might understand better what you're trying to say.

Well i can understand it no probs must be you whoos the one thats thick!

I think thats a great idea!

Whats the criteria for selecting the beneficieries..?:)

its no good being on benifits belive me ..ive been workin 20 years i get nothing sorry 64 pound a week then they made me stand 3 days

Gosh you must have been tired after that lol

Its not the only scheme in place though, my son got a PC with a years free broadband last year for being on the Gifted and Talented register :D