Hardworking people get nothing!!

Tory Blair and labours policy of hiking up council rents, then putting council homes into hands of housing associations means that only the unemployed can afford to rent social housing. These days its a lot cheaper buying then renting.

Its a sad fact but private shareholders are taking social rent money and that income is guaranteed when only people on benefits can afford to rent.

I hope the people who can't read or understand without punctuation get help.

Utter rubbish. Good grief, you're dim.

Because that would put me on the same bottom feeding line as the benefit cheats.

Now don't get me wrong, not everyone on benefits are bottom feeders, its a decent thing if your stuck for work while you look for more.

Its the scumbags who think its their right to have benefits, without trying to get any jobs or earn a living I have the problem with.

Its not as if they have traveled half way round the world to get here, is it.. ? Some people are unemployable , and you should be ashamed of yourself, '' bottom feeders'' . Is this the only way you can feel significant , slagging off the most unfortunate in society ? Poor you!

That is typical of the Labour government. They foolishly believe that the way to get people out of poverty is to give them handouts!. Hard work is the only way to get better off. Children should be rewarded for woking hard at school not for getting free school meals but they won't do that because it is not politically correct.

A4e, gets the handouts not the unemployed. Get real , astonishing. People like this exists!

Buying is more expensive than renting.

Nope not under right to buy, rents are 90pound a week in some housing associations... People Realy want to wake up,. Corruption is every where....... And idiots just don't know, where do you get your views from? Nazis weekly ?

That is typical of the Labour government. They foolishly believe that the way to get people out of poverty is to give them handouts!. Hard work is the only way to get better off. Children should be rewarded for woking hard at school not for getting free school meals but they won't do that because it is not politically correct.

If children are on FSMs, (Free School Meals) then it stands to reason that they are going to be disadvantaged, when compared to their peers who come from a more affluent family.

A more affluent family is going to be more likely to be able to afford a PC/ internet, whereas a family on FSMs, even if they have a gifted child, is not going to be able to provide that for them.

Why should the "poor-but-bright" child be disadvantaged?

Why not give the child the opportunity to achieve within its potential? Isn't that the whole point of things like the "every child matters" philosophy?

Nope not under right to buy, rents are 90pound a week in some housing associations...

For £90 pw you could get a £55000 mortgage which would allow you to buy a 2 bedroom flat or a semi on the Cross.

Not really much of a difference is there?

For £90 pw you could get a £55000 mortgage which would allow you to buy a 2 bedroom flat or a semi on the Cross.

Not really much of a difference is there?

more like 80grand, how can people on the minimum wage afford 90pound a week? They can't ,so they don't. And its not as if there is well paid jobs in Sheffield anyway . So the landlords profit because the poor can afford to work and rent. Brilliant don't you think?

Buying is more expensive than renting.

When interest rates are at an all time low and when renting equates to 100% loss of equity?

Don't lie.

PlainTalker i agree with your last post, I can understand that some people can and will get frustrated but what you have to realise is that most of the people you are talking about have children, and you cant blame the kids for what a parent chooses to do in life!

The Goverment has to help by giving away free things to disadvantaged kids because who else is going to give it them? Computers,days out,free meals,better housing and other things.

Infact there is some old guys(millionaires) who have a sports company in Barnsley and they pay for young kids who cant afford £2 - £3 a week for subs to play football because mum and dad cant afford it, is that a bad thing because working families have to pay? NO

I have been made redundant and yes i have to sign on but i dont get any benefit, my wifes pay covers us both but i sign for my stamp, at the moment we have no money, we cant afford holidays and we dont have any spare money after we payed the mortgage and bills, i am not annoyed or bitter towards anyone else because i cant give my kids everything they want! i know that once i back in work things will be fine.

Please people dont forget the kids that are involved in this.

Why is it that if you work you have not much help, but when on benefits(and no not everyone on benefits is a scrounger) you get the best council houses?

The reason I'm moaning is a couple of family members who work cannot get anything suitable from Sheffield City Housing and they would be paying full rent. What a joke! Why not give priority to people who will pay full rent(not inc the elderly)?

OK. First of all, people who receive benefits also pay full rent. Even though the rent is paid by Housing Benefit, it is still paid in full to Sheffield Homes, so they experience no drop in revenue by letting to people on benefits.

Secondly and far more importantly, you have fallen sucker to the nonsense argument that the shortage of social housing is the fault of benefits claimants. Benefits claimants do not decide how many council homes are available in the region, that's the responsibility of Sheffield Council under guidance from the Government.

There are far too few council homes in Sheffield. Even homeless people, whom society naturally regards as being amongst the most vulnerable, do not get the immediate right to a council home. To be assessed as "high priority" and shunted to the top of the waiting list (which is measured in years), you must be homeless *and* vulnerable. Sheffield Homes does not consider homelessness inherently vulnerable enough to warrant priority allocation. By "vulnerable", they mean above a particular age (which figure escapes me), suffering with ill health, or having children.

The fact of the matter is that the Right To Buy scheme and demolition and clearance of outdated housing, combined with almost no real replacement policy, has ravaged the social housing stock across the country.

Instead of in-fighting with other people who are dependant on social housing, ask; Why has the Government taken the money earned from Right To Buy, and from selling off former housing land to private developers, and not used it to restock social housing to sufficient levels to meet the needs of the people?

-------

"Only 9% of the 15,670 homes built in the [Yorkshire and Humber] region last year were social homes. The Regional Spatial Strategy suggests 30-40% of all homes built should be for social and affordable housing."

source: http://www.housing.org.uk/Uploads/File/North%20regions/Home%20Truths/Yorks%20HT%2009.pdf

Edited by Max Power