Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

that is why they should use the cycle lanes the councils dont construct them for nothing ! they are there for cyclists and their safety !!! why do so many cyclists slag them down ?

Yeah but wouldn't it be nice if they were free of obstruction and sufficiently distanced from the road and available on all roads.

Yeah but wouldn't it be nice if they were free of obstruction and sufficiently distanced from the road and available on all roads.

agree with you and having said that cyclists still keep going on about pothles and obstacles on the roads which they have to avoid ! i still believe it is safer for them to use the cycle lanes that are there for them though they probably dont want to hear

that is why they should use the cycle lanes the councils dont construct them for nothing ! they are there for cyclists and their safety !!! why do so many cyclists slag them down ?

Because the vast majority of them are utterly pointless. The one on Penistone Road just randomly stops in places and then suddenly re-appears further down the road. It's easier and quicker just to cycle on the road.

To be honest, the only reason why have much reason to be surprised to see a bike on Penistone Road is if they are going reasonably fast. Considering the speed limit is 30mph there, I suspect that the driver is in the wrong in this scenario.

This collision should act as a reminder to all drivers that we need to be more vigilant particularly when pulling out of entrances and turning at junctions.

With autumnal weather and darker evenings it is essential to check and double check for cyclists, pedestrians and indeed other road users before pulling out.

We need to break down the 'two tribe' mentality on the roads and co-exist in harmony.

– AA PRESIDENT EDMUND KING

Would be good if cyclists ensured that they had working front and rear lights before going on the road especially at this time of the year.

I have recently including this morning at 5.45am witnessed a cyclist without a working front light.

Yes you do get cars driving around with perhaps one headlight or brakelight ot but when a bike has usually just one light at the front and one at the back it is most important that both are working before setting off.

I also think that if we as tax payers have paid for a cycle lane to be installed along Penistone Road then the cyclists should do the decent thing and use it.

Yes I know it is disjointed in places but as a car driver driving through say hillsborough I would love to drive straight through the traffic lights at Hillsborough Corner at all times but I cant so I have to make a disjointed detour to get me where I want to be so why cant cyclists also put up with a similar inconvienience?

Do you think that Bradley Wiggins didn't have working lights?

I was behind a car the other day with no working brake lights, exciting, how long before she gets rear ended.

If you think that then you've clearly never ridden on it.

To compare it to a tram/bus gate is foolish, using a cycle lane is not compulsory so they have no need to put up with using it since it's so badly implemented.

Would be good if cyclists ensured that they had working front and rear lights before going on the road especially at this time of the year.

The picture of Wiggo's broken bike that the Sun is running as an exclusive clearly shows both lights still turned on.

His front light looks impressively bright to me.

Do you think that Bradley Wiggins didn't have working lights?

I was behind a car the other day with no working brake lights, exciting, how long before she gets rear ended.

If you think that then you've clearly never ridden on it.

To compare it to a tram/bus gate is foolish, using a cycle lane is not compulsory so they have no need to put up with using it since it's so badly implemented.

No I dissagree the reason that some/most cyclists dont use the cycle lane on Penistone Road is because as you say it is perhaps badly laid out and is not compulsory.

However avoiding the tram/bus gates during certain times is compulsory so I have to make a detour out of my way to get round them as I have no choice.

The purpose built cycle lane on Penistone road should be complusory then cyclists also would have to make slight detours to get where you want to be.

Yes I agree a car with no brake lights is a hazard but as a bike is somewhat smaller than a car or van etc its a lot harder to see when it has no working lights.

have a look at

http://sheffield.mybikelane.com/

then see if you can work out why so many cyclists prefer to stick to the road that their hard earned taxes have paid for.

In fact if you go through that site you'll find pictures of the Penistone Road bike route blocked by parked cars.

eg

http://sheffield.mybikelane.com/post/index/23157

No I dissagree the reason that some/most cyclists dont use the cycle lane on Penistone Road is because as you say it is perhaps badly laid out and is not compulsory.

However avoiding the tram/bus gates during certain times is compulsory so I have to make a detour out of my way to get round them as I have no choice.

That is a difference you are correct. Bus gates are compulsory and cycle lanes are not.

The purpose built cycle lane on Penistone road should be complusory then cyclists also would have to make slight detours to get where you want to be.

No, it should not. Cycle lanes are never compulsory, they are an optional extra that a cyclist can choose to use. They don't choose to use the one in question because it's very badly implemented.

Yes I agree a car with no brake lights is a hazard but as a bike is somewhat smaller than a car or van etc its a lot harder to see when it has no working lights.

I agree, as a cyclist I wouldn't cycle without multiple lights, some car drivers are a danger to everything around them, away in their own little world. Even with multiple lights they sometimes can't "see" you apparently.