Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

What yzf600r described is bad cycling. And as a lorry driver he's almost certainly doing something useful.

The real problem is that people who are lazy and selfish commute in single-occupancy cars when they could use an alternative (including carpooling) --- those are the people who are holding everyone up, including themselves. (To be clear, I know that a few people have a legitimate reason to drive cars by themselves.)

I have never, and I currently don't know of anyone, who works with anyone at/near the same place, who lives anywhere near anyone else who is starting and finishing work at around the same time.

I work in Leeds at the moment and sometime have the selfish pleasure of crawling past a Multiple Occupancy lane that apart from the odd car (50% with just the driver in), is as empty as a Sheffield Cycle lane.

My dream job would be where I can get on a tram or bus to work, but like most people in the real world, that's not an option.

I have never, and I currently don't know of anyone, who works with anyone at/near the same place, who lives anywhere near anyone else who is starting and finishing work at around the same time.

I work in Leeds at the moment and sometime have the selfish pleasure of crawling past a Multiple Occupancy lane that apart from the odd car (50% with just the driver in), is as empty as a Sheffield Cycle lane.

My dream job would be where I can get on a tram or bus to work, but like most people in the real world, that's not an option.

https://liftshare.com/uk

There must be thousands of people commute everyday to Leeds from Sheffield.

Some of them will work near you, live near you and travel at a similar time.

The fact is that we simply don't make much of an effort to share.

I've managed to car share in the past, working at Eckington, two of us lived in Crookes/Walkley, and it wasn't that difficult to arrange similar start/finish times.

Superb, but you can't do that on the £5 per meter Sheffield seem to spend on cyclists safety and getting the city fitter.

Exactly. It's just not practical to share in most cases.

if they want to use the road instead of cycle lanes scrap the cycle lanes and all cyclists to have insurance like all other road users and yes i use both a car and bike on the road bike insurance should be made compulsory end of

if they want to use the road instead of cycle lanes scrap the cycle lanes and all cyclists to have insurance like all other road users and yes i use both a car and bike on the road bike insurance should be made compulsory end of

How would it be policed though? Some people have bicycles but don't ride on the road (by that I mean off road tracks and trails) or mostly don't ride on the road.

The administrative costs would be huge compared with the actual risk. How much damage can a flimsy bicycle really do to a vehicle designed to protect the occupants in the event of a collision?

Do you have third party liability insurance to cover your road cycling?

Many dutch cyclists have liability insurance. The risk to cyclists is much smaller than Sheffield but cyclists in Sheffield are not accepted as equals by many UK drivers who falsely believe the tax they pay is for the roads. They don't realise the tax is for the polluting qualities of the vehicle, not for the road. Cyclists have nothing to do with polluting, that's why they don't pollution tax.

Edited by dutch

if they want to use the road instead of cycle lanes scrap the cycle lanes

For the one on Penistone Road, I'd agree. You mean "path" not "lane" by the way.

For the one on Sheaf Street...well, using your logic since drivers want to drive and park on the cycle path instead of the road, scrap the road. Fair?

display a disc like a motorcycle use to display a tax disc a cyclist caused over 100 poundsworth damage to my car new electric wing mirror plus deep scratches to my door and front wing while i was legally parked in a pay and display bay i actually saw him do it confronted him gave me all false details later reported it to police even have it on cctv but they told me it was a cival matter so there is nothing i can do thats why i say make it compulsory for all road users

display a disc like a motorcycle use to display a tax disc a cyclist caused over 100 poundsworth damage to my car new electric wing mirror plus deep scratches to my door and front wing while i was legally parked in a pay and display bay i actually saw him do it confronted him gave me all false details later reported it to police even have it on cctv but they told me it was a cival matter so there is nothing i can do thats why i say make it compulsory for all road users

~

Where do pedestrians display this?

They are road users, of which you demand ALL must be insured. They can pull carts / push shopping trolleys near to your car. Some scratch cars with keys when the car is parked on the pavement. I suspect more damage is caused by pedestrians overall so where do they display their disc and how much is their insurance?

I can 100% guarantee that the cycle lane on Clarkehouse road will start to fill with parked cars from about 9.10 tomorrow morning as it does every working day. The commuters then sit reading or listening to the radio till the parking restriction ends at 9.30am (because clearly no one cycles after 9.30am) . They will then walk to their jobs. In the unlikely event that parking services do drop by they will simply drive off and come back 5 mins later. The lane really isn't worth the paint they put down for it unless its policed.