Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

If us motorists have to put up with lunatic cyclists getting in our way then they should have to put up with us using cycle lanes.

As a pedestrian I find that I have to put up with vehicles parked on the pavement; perhaps we should just not bother with cycle lanes and pavements, just have a free for all? Get rid of the highway code, its only advisory.

So you dont want motorists driving in cycle lanes ,but its okay for cyclists to ride outside the cycle lanes with motorists ?

Yes

If you have a problem with the laws of the road, perhaps you shouldn't be using them.

Just to clarify, this is a shared use footpath/cycle path, not a wheel straddling a white line

Just think of it as I don't want cars in the cycle path and I don't want pedal cycles on the motorway. See, no-one is "having it both ways", motor-powered and human-powered transport both have OPTIONAL routes that are prohibited to the other

Edited by Squiggs

Has anyone seen the cyclist around Middlewood who has his dog strapped onto a rack on the side of his bike? The dogs head is just visible, poking out of some special holdall type bag...ideally placed at exhaust height so he gets to breath in all the fumes from the passing cars & busses. :gag:

I've seen him a few times now and it's amazing how many people spot the dog and then give him an extra-wide berth...but then they're so busy gawping at the dog they forget to look what's coming the other way!

If its good for cyclists then its good for motorists. if cyclists want to ride outside the cycle lanes ,then they cant moan when motorists drive in the cycle lanes. cyclists cant have it both ways.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 14:14 ----------

If us motorists have to put up with lunatic cyclists getting in our way then they should have to put up with us using cycle lanes.

Oh dear...

You know you're incorrect, so I don't know why you post stuff like this.

There was a chap this morning by Catch Bar Lane coming out of Butterworths who tapped on an Audi drivers window to say what I can only imagine to be that he was so close to the curb the guy couldn't put his bike there.

To me this was the cyclist just being a idiot.

He walked out of the shop with said bike, and his intention was to place it in the road so he could ride off. Fair enough, but when traffic has already arrived without the cyclist being in the road, but inside the building, how are they meant to cater for such occurrences? The driver couldn't exactly get out, pick his car up and place it down a foot away from the curb could he.

Furthermore, the cyclist then decided he would place his bike right behind the Audi, lights turned green and he wasn't ready to set off, so the car in front of me had to navigate around him. It was then my turn to set off and the cyclist veered out into the middle of my lane (going left on to Catch Bar Lane) with no warning, and then proceeded to cross the junction going straight on, again with no indication of intent. Had I of been an impatient person in morning rush hour I could have quite easily taken him off his bike and put him in hospital for a number of weeks through no intentional fault of my own.

If he is reading this then please, think your actions through before committing to them.

I don't advocate a Cars VS Cyclist approach, but there needs to be a degree of common sense involved in being in control of a vehicle. This was just to highlight a point that cyclists are as prone to stupidity as car drivers.

I do both and have seen equally stupid maneuvers from both the cyclist point of view and a drivers.

I don't advocate a Cars VS Cyclist approach.

Yet you post about the incident, hoping said cyclist reads it, when in reality you've more chance of plaiting fog and you only serve to add fuel to the fire.

Ignore it, shrug your shoulders, carry on with life.

A quote taken out of context does not mean I am adding fuel to the fire.

Quote the whole statement without modifying it with a full stop and that would become apparent.

I won't be losing sleep over the incident, however it might serve as a gentle reminder should the person concerned read this topic to look over their shoulder and consider the environment they are in before committing to any action. That was all that was intended, If I had put that without a back story the request would be simply meaningless, and non substantiated.

There was a chap this morning by Catch Bar Lane coming out of Butterworths who tapped on an Audi drivers window to say what I can only imagine to be that he was so close to the curb the guy couldn't put his bike there.

To me this was the cyclist just being a idiot.

He walked out of the shop with said bike, and his intention was to place it in the road so he could ride off. Fair enough, but when traffic has already arrived without the cyclist being in the road, but inside the building, how are they meant to cater for such occurrences? The driver couldn't exactly get out, pick his car up and place it down a foot away from the curb could he.

Furthermore, the cyclist then decided he would place his bike right behind the Audi, lights turned green and he wasn't ready to set off, so the car in front of me had to navigate around him. It was then my turn to set off and the cyclist veered out into the middle of my lane (going left on to Catch Bar Lane) with no warning, and then proceeded to cross the junction going straight on, again with no indication of intent. Had I of been an impatient person in morning rush hour I could have quite easily taken him off his bike and put him in hospital for a number of weeks through no intentional fault of my own.

If he is reading this then please, think your actions through before committing to them.

I don't advocate a Cars VS Cyclist approach, but there needs to be a degree of common sense involved in being in control of a vehicle. This was just to highlight a point that cyclists are as prone to stupidity as car drivers.

I do both and have seen equally stupid maneuvers from both the cyclist point of view and a drivers.

A bloke tapped on a car window to tell the driver to move his car so as he could mount his bike .

As a cyclist myself I find this a very strange behaviour some one is having a laugh.

There was a chap this morning by Catch Bar Lane coming out of Butterworths who tapped on an Audi drivers window to say what I can only imagine....

or perhaps he said "Ey up Jeff, not seen you for a while, how's you and the missus"

Since everything else was based on your imagination....

I commute down penistone road each morning and i have put all this in to perspective, and say a massive thank you to all the decent, skilled courteous, law abiding road users out there. I pass or come across hundreds of road users, both on bike and in car without incident each day, the vast majority of the time, but there are a small group of clueless, skill-less ignorant and therefore dangerous idiots out there. Why do you think your car insurance is so high and climbing each year? It's absolutely terrifying to see people just on this forum alone happily admitting to not knowing the highway code, then whining that its not fair when the error of thier ways are explained to them and then...

That's your opinion. Fortunately the law disagrees and cyclists are not legally obliged to use the cycle lanes.

The road is not your lane- it's for everyone, including cyclists.

Fine, I'll **** you off if the law isn't around, I don't care if it humours you, if you don't play fair, I won't either.

Why do think its funny, lacking commons sense or unfair to not put other peoples live in danger?

I watch the insults and threats against me, as a cyclists, on just this thread alone pile up, all without facts or evidence. I ride, and drive for that matter, perfectly within the law and common sense, if your now thinking "yeah, sure" and getting ready your next fact-less insult and false accusation against me, then i set this challenge in attempt to put an end to all this hatred of innocent law abiding members of the public as this...PROVE IT OR SHUT UP! ...Yeah, i know its a long shot, but why don't you actually do something about it apart from whining and firing insults at the good cyclists on this forum? Imagine if the effort that's gone in to 17 pages of abuse and cut'n'pasting in the highway code went in to a campaign of Highway code awareness? Of course I don't know if it'll work, you may never see those idiots again but its something. I can also back this up by saying I'm also sick of those idiots on bikes who jump red lights, ride on the pavement as well motorist who don't respect cyclists . I can assure you all the good cyclists hate those idiot cyclists far more than any motorist ever could as we're far, far more likely to get injured by them and we have to deal with all the hatred they build.

Please, Please put forward your suggestions on how we can actually deal with problem, that's logical and within the law...

How about getting a little video camera and fitting it to your windscreen/helmet safely and fully within the law. If your accusing me of being a

lunatic cyclists
PROVE IT!, build a case against all those dangerous road users, submit it to the police, get these dangerous road users off the road, prosecuted. Get the police to take note and watch Penistone Road or other trouble areas! Also if you see a cyclist with a camera on his helmet he has to be obeying the Highway code in case of an incident to prove it wasn't cyclist fault. Its a win, win for both motorists and cyclists if you see a cyclist with a helmet camera. I've just ordered mine. I assure you, I will be reporting both cyclists and motorist who are reckless on the roads. No idea what response i'll get from the police but i found that helmet camera footage has resulted in prosecution. Anyone got any experience of this? Or possibly get the council to put up those temporary plastic boards/signs on posts at junctions and such to explain the basic points of the Highway code for those who've 'forgotten'?

I've waffled on far too much already but i just thought i'd put one of the many wrong stereo types/insults to bed that's really bugging me.

Why I'm being accused of being a hippy and attempting to force car users of the road because i ride a bike?

Again, another clueless statement. I love cars and i love my bikes. Because i love machines and speed (always within the law and common sense). I throw that insult straight back in your face! Have you/do you own car that's been in the Topgears top 20 cars, Evo magazines top 20 drivers cars of all time, a car capable of getting to 60 in less than 6 secs ( never on public roads, always within the law). Have you shown a car at a show, taken it on a track, mastered heal-toe and left foot braking?

I have, have you...Hippy? (Petty, i know, but that ones been getting at me)

Oh and a perfectly clean driving license, 15 years full no-claims?

I take it you didn't see Sir Chris Hoy's recent documentary on his hero, Colin Mcrae? It's possible for people to like/use both cars and bikes.

All of this can be answered by two things , You see a road user on Penistone road, or any other acting reckless , film them, report them, and...OBEY THE HIGHWAY CODE. If you don't know the highway code GET OF THE ROAD UNTIL YOU DO, BEFORE YOU KILL SOME ONES SON, DAUGHTER, MOTHER, FATHER, FRIEND OR ...YOURSELF.

It's idiot road users versus good road users, never, ever bikes versus cars...ever!

....and relax...

Edited by martinj_77

Why would getting to 60 within 6 seconds be a problem on a public road?

I occasionally get the chance to nail it, when setting off on a NSL A road from a junction or a lay-by, nothing illegal about putting your foot down, so long as you stop at 60.

I was thinking about the (fairly) recent adverts for motorbike awareness which made people think about the person, not the bike, I think the same should also apply with cyclists.