Planning ..neighbours extensions

neighbours in our row of 5 terraced houses have just annouced a plan for a 2 storey extension to the rear of the house. :(

we are in the middle. our neighbours on left have a single storey extension and that blocks light out. our near neighbours, two on the right, have a single storey extension. the right of way round we all have to access our properties round the back has already been diverted once.

i have no real problem with creating more space but can 'lack of light' be cited as an objection to planning? our garden and back of house will be really very dark if this goes ahead. no one else on street has a 2 storey extension.

also, we are thinking of moving soon. will their planning application be noted on all the searches of possible buyers/ and /or on the new documents you now have to provide when selling a house?

SCC planning section wil not advise until plannng application is in...!!:loopy:

cheers for any advice / help

Lack of light most certainly is a planning consideration! Usually it's called 'loss of amenity', but it amounts to the same thing. However if there has been a precident set for extensions it may not help your case, although it probably would help you extend!

Have they applied for planning permission? I think there has been a change in the rules as a extension not going out no more than 3 meters only requires building regs

This website gives details about right to light: http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/righttolight.htm

You can stop your neighbours extension if it breaches your right to light, even if they have planning permission granted. This is a legal procedure, but most planning departments do use the 45 degree rule when deciding whether or not to grant permission. This is only for habitable rooms, however. A window for a bathroom or staircase does not count as a habitable room.

Check to see if the extension would breach the 45 degree line from the windows of your habitable rooms. You should then make an objection on the planning application once it has been submitted, stating that the extension will breach the rule. If planning is still granted then talk to a solicitor about taking out an injunction against the build.

Perhaps talking to your neighbour to make sure they know about the right to light rule may cause them to alter the plans to avoid this issue... making changes after planning has been submitted can be a lengthy process so it is in their best interests to do so! This is also a much better way of resolving the issue and avoiding neighbour disputes.

Good luck with it all.

cheers everyone for the above suggestions. i am going to look into things and will check out the buildings regs thing about the 3m rule. no one else on the street has a 2 storey extn so that will help. i already have to put the lights on in the kitchen now and thats before another bloomin exten is built.

i will certainly talk to my neighbour / their family. they want to get the planning in before we move as they told me to my face ' that i wont object will i?' hahahaha!!

if Plan permish is granted it will stay on the house searches for 2 years apaprently.

ta people, much obliged. xgx

i already have to put the lights on in the kitchen now and thats before another bloomin exten is built.
Put in an application for a two storey ext yourself ... then your windows will be on the same line of light as theirs ... having permission might even make your house more saleable.

You could even use the same builder and save money having them both done at the same time.