The End of an Era - Silversmiths chef Richie sacked.

The Italian restaurant on Peace Garden must be the one called Piccolino which is next to Caffe Nero. It's a chain that this Rich Russell won't be able to create his inovative menus, sadly, I think. Whatever really happened between the Silversmith & this cook, all the best for this very talented cook.

If they made him redundant they couldn't replace him with another chef (you can't fill a redundant role within 3... or 6? months), so that's why they would have replaced him with a 'cook', so it's not like for like.

Richie is a great chef. It's their loss not his. Not been back since Richie left.

we never went to Silversmiths as we thought the owner was an idiot on kitchen nightmares which is a shame because I love to have tried the food the chef produced so I think this might be the demise of silversmiths

we never went to Silversmiths as we thought the owner was an idiot on kitchen nightmares which is a shame because I love to have tried the food the chef produced so I think this might be the demise of silversmiths

I went to Silversmith a few time whilst this cook was working as the Chef de Cuisine & whatever I had were superb in quality and were alos beautifully presneted in a rustic and provincial way (rather than a fine dining sort of the Ivy, Nobu, the Connaught in London etc or the Old Vicarage in Sheffield & the Fischer's @ the Baslow Hall etc).

A few friends of mine who are accustomed to the standard of Nobu, the SAVOY etc went back post the departure of this Richie but their feedback was "no change" and their dining was as pleasant as before.

So, I must re-visit this Silversmith and see what I think of it.

I understand that their previous Chef de Cuisine (Richie as he is called here) was not a formally trained cook but a self-taught one. Some people have such innate talent, do they not ? Whatever he produced was very good indeed.

Some people are discussing the difference between the term a 'chef' & a 'cook' but I understand all the cooking staff are cooks and only the head of the cooking team is called Chef as in "head" in French (like le Duc d'Anjou, Chef de la Masion de Bourbon - the Duke of Anjou, the Head of the House of Bourbon) and s/he has his comi et al below him/her rank.

I was just searching for an old thread, when I came across this and realised what a reaction there had been to the news about Richie leaving.

Rich is my brother, and if anybody is interested in checking out what he's up to these days, then get yourself to Remo's at Broomhill.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/food-review-remo-s-259-fulwood-road-broomhill-sheffield-s10-3bd-no-telephone-number-open-mon-sat-8-30am-6pm-1-6322917

I was just searching for an old thread, when I came across this and realised what a reaction there had been to the news about Richie leaving.

Rich is my brother, and if anybody is interested in checking out what he's up to these days, then get yourself to Remo's at Broomhill.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/food-review-remo-s-259-fulwood-road-broomhill-sheffield-s10-3bd-no-telephone-number-open-mon-sat-8-30am-6pm-1-6322917

The food at Remo's is superb, addicted to the pasta dishes and very tempted by the bisro night.