The End of an Era - Silversmiths chef Richie sacked.

Last night me and the OH Yog Sothoth were on our way home from a pre-release screening of the new film, Le Donk and Scor-Zay-Zee, by Shane Meadows (This is England, Dead Man's Shoes), which looks to be a huge success on its release on the 9th October (and DVD release on the 16th October) so were in a fantastic mood, laughing and joking about what a great night we'd had, meeting Shane and actor Paddy Considine as well which was great! But whilst waiting for the number 20 outside the Peace Gardens we bumped into Richie, the chef at Silversmiths, someone for whom I've got a huge amount of respect and so did Gordon Ramsey because he told him so on camera several times during Ramsey's Great British Nightmare.

Richie told us that out of the blue he'd been made redundant from his position as chef at Silversmiths, in favour of a cheaper replacement, not a chef I understand but a cook (and there is a HUGE difference.) If I'm wrong please correct me. Apparently since Richie leaving, 11 pies were sent back on one Tuesday night pie night alone.

I've supported Silversmiths on here since its inception, but it was no secret that Richie's supreme skills as a chef were the main lynchpin of its popularity, and now, unbelievably, he's gone! A nicer, more honest bloke you couldn't hope to meet, I am absolutely gutted for him. He's now working at the Italian restaurant in The Peace Gardens (does anyone know its name?) which I'm sure will now be reaping the rewards of his skills and wonderful personality.

Gobsmacked. :shakes:

Edited by the white rose

I know of another chef there who was 'let go' in favour of a cheaper replacement. Haven't been since, so don't know how it's affected the food, but I doubt favourably!

Would have thought this place would have been raking in the money to be honest, and would not need to cut chef costs....quite shocked, its a fine establishment and apparently always busy

Last night me and the OH Yog Sothoth were on our way home from a pre-release screening of the new film, Le Donk and Scor-Zay-Zee, by Shane Meadows (This is England, Dead Man's Shoes), which looks to be a huge success on its release on the 9th October (and DVD release on the 16th October) so were in a fantastic mood, laughing and joking about what a great night we'd had, meeting Shane and actor Paddy Considine as well which was great! But whilst waiting for the number 20 outside the Peace Gardens we bumped into Richie, the chef at Silversmiths, someone for whom I've got a huge amount of respect and so did Gordon Ramsey because he told him so on camera several times during Ramsey's Great British Nightmare.

Richie told us that out of the blue he'd been sacked from his position as chef at Silversmiths, in favour of a cheaper replacement, not a chef I understand but a cook (and there is a HUGE difference.) If I'm wrong please correct me. Apparently since Richie's sacking 11 pies were sent back on one Tuesday night pie night alone.

I've supported Silversmiths on here since its inception, but it was no secret that Richie's supreme skills as a chef were the main lynchpin of its popularity, and now, unbelievably, he's been sacked! A nicer, more honest bloke you couldn't hope to meet, I am absolutely gutted for him. He's now working at the Italian restaurant in The Peace Gardens (does anyone know its name?) which I'm sure will now be reaping the rewards of his skills and wonderful personality.

Gobsmacked. :shakes:

To be sacked there would have to be disciplinary procedure, verbal warning/written warning/final warning. Unless there was gross misconduct. Was he actually sacked or made redundant? Either way if he has been treated unfairly he should go to citizens advice and find out what recourse he has.

Oh yeah someone posted a MASSIVE rant about this on the Silversmiths thread a while back, which I received in a 'reply to thread' Email, but by the time I clicked on the thread it had been removed (well, toned down A LOT)

I missed what happened and why (on the thread, that is)

He was saying that Richie had been 'made redundant' but then straight away they replaced him with someone else (err... how does that work :confused:)

Found it.

The thread: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=378080&page=9&highlight=silversmiths

The extremely toned down version of the ranty-post: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=5356739&postcount=165

I wonder why chuntymalone retracted what he said?

Libellous??

To be sacked there would have to be disciplinary procedure, verbal warning/written warning/final warning. Unless there was gross misconduct. Was he actually sacked or made redundant? Either way if he has been treated unfairly he should go to citizens advice and find out what recourse he has.

My understanding has always been, and correct me if I'm wrong, that redundancy can only occur if the business closes or the job no longer exists. In this case there was an immediate replacement.

Whatever, the plain fact that one of Sheffield's best chefs has been booted out is miserable in my opinion.

surely given how he came across in ramseys programme it wont be long till he's out there putting out quality food again.. come on, theres loads of restaurants in sheffield should be beating a path to his door...

My understanding has always been, and correct me if I'm wrong, that redundancy can only occur if the business closes or the job no longer exists. In this case there was an immediate replacement.

Whatever, the plain fact that one of Sheffield's best chefs has been booted out is miserable in my opinion.

Redundancy can occur for any number of reasons - financials being one of them i'm afraid. Restructuring is the term i think.

(Trying not to detract froim the thread in general)

A person can't be made redundant. A post can. If someone is made redundant, then the post he/she was doing can't be filled, as it's been deemed to be surplus to requirements. I think Silversmith's have got round this by not appointing a chef, but a cook. Presumably with a different job description from that of a chef.

If this is the case, it's a shabby, mean and unscrupulous way of cutting costs. I hope they get their just desserts. Pun intended.

I think you should not believe what you always read on this forum.

Silversmiths is a great restaurant, and i am sure it will continue to be successful regardless of what head chef it has.

The head chef of a restaurant is only one one of the factors of it's success.

Silversmiths is a quality Sheffield born restaurant, so please eat there then judge if it has gone down hill.

:hihi::hihi: Sorry, have to laugh at that one. The head chef of a restaurant is THE factor of it's success.

Do you work in the trade as well?