The Army-Why do we call them OUR LADS/OUR BOYS ?

Because they are mainly young men 18/19/20 risking their lives hence lads/boys, and they are British, ie ours.

If you mean why do certain tabloids capitalise the phrase ie Our Boys in the middle of a sentance..I have no idea either.

BECAUSE THEY ARE OUR BOYS/OUR LADS. THEY ARE ALL SOMEBODYS SONS AND DAUGHTERS RISKING THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No apologies for shouting, stupid question did'nt need to be asked anyway.

Please make sure brain is engaged before operating mouth.!!

Because they are mainly young men 18/19/20 risking their lives hence lads/boys, and they are British, ie ours.

Well why don't we call firemen,police,oil rig workers etc "our boys"?

Incidentally a couple of men I work with who WERE in the army don't really understand it either.If someone KNOWS the person or is a relative of some kind then I can understand it but for a complete STRANGER to refer someone they haven't met as their lad or their boy I find quite weird.One of them at my work finds it rather embarrasing.As HE puts it he's just doing a job and expects to get paid for it.

Well why don't we call firemen,police,oil rig workers etc "our boys"?

Incidentally a couple of men I work with who WERE in the army don't really understand it either.If someone KNOWS the person or is a relative of some kind then I can understand it but for a complete STRANGER to refer someone they haven't met as their lad or their boy I find quite weird.One of them at my work finds it rather embarrasing.As HE puts it he's just doing a job and expects to get paid for it.

Anyone who classes fighting the taliban in Helmand province in Afghanistan as 'just a job' should go and have a go himself. OR DOES HE HAVE THE BOTTLE ??????

I doubt it.

BECAUSE THEY ARE OUR BOYS/OUR LADS. THEY ARE ALL SOMEBODYS SONS AND DAUGHTERS RISKING THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No apologies for shouting, stupid question did'nt need to be asked anyway.

Please make sure brain is engaged before operating mouth.!!

No,they are their PARENTS boys.

Anyone who classes fighting the taliban in Helmand province in Afghanistan as 'just a job' should go and have a go himself. OR DOES HE HAVE THE BOTTLE ??????

I doubt it.

You don't get it do you.:loopy:

I'm NOT questioning the job they do.

Why not call fisherman OUR BOYS (most dangerous occupation apparently)

I doubt it.

I don't get what 'having the bottle' has to this.

Someone who joins the army (during non conflict) knows that they have a possibililty of action, whether they agree or not with the reason for the action.

You don't get it do you.:loopy:

I'm NOT questioning the job they do.

Why not call fisherman OUR BOYS (most dangerous occupation apparently)

Fishermen dont do what they do 'in the name of our country'.

And they get paid a darned site more than a squaddie. Our armed forces are there to defend US and by calling them 'our boys' is just showing a little appreciation for a job well done.

I don't get what 'having the bottle' has to this.

Someone who joins the army knows that they have a possibililty of action, whether they agree or not with the reason for the action.

A fool can ask qustions a wise man cannot answer [ or can't be bothered to ]

If we called our fighting women..."Our girls" I'm sure women would tell most men to ***k off and stop being such a sexist patronising ***t!

Men are men, women are women.

Boys n girls play in the playground...not on a battlefield.