Linux.. A Toy For Geeks

I'm kinda pro linux, but currently using Win7 on most of my machines. Games is the reason why.

I'm not pro enough to bother with dual boot, I can do everything I want in windows and everything I want except games in linux. Fix that last bit and I'll happily stop paying the M$ tax.

I have no real axe to grind either way though, win7 is a huge improvement on vista.

If games is your main reason to not switch, download Sabayon which has 'World of Goo' demo - yes a demo you have to pay for the full game - it's a thinking game not an action game and quite cute. There are plenty of decent first person perspective shooters free on Linux and even racing games; if none meets the bill have you ever considered transgaming.org's Cedega (their Apple version deal with Electronic Arts is called Cider), Cross-over office is another option.

Edited by swarfendor43

I use both Linux and Windows. I guess I am a bit of a geek also but I wouldn't recomment Linux as a desktop os for someone who isn't of a technical nature. There are a lot of Microsoft haters out there who want to throw mud at them at any oppertunity. The truth is that Microsoft have been building the best operarting systems and office solutions out there for some time now and I don't see that changing in the near future.

The one interesting area of development is web based software and cloud computing where all our apps are starting to be hosted in the browser. There is potential here ( a fair way off in the future) for users just to need a very small OS which is nothing more than an internet browser. The problem with this and any other thin terminal solution is that it requires on constant connectivity. What happens when your on a flight and you don't have access to the net?

Linux really does have a place and is a fantastic peice of software and just proves what communities of people can do when they come together but it is not an ideal desktop os for a non technical user. We use great open source projects such as Asterisk which run on Linux simply because we beleive they are the best solution in that perticular area. We develop software using Microsoft.NET because we think it is a fantastic language which gives us easy access to the Windows platform which most of our clients are using.

Bottom line is different OS's are the most suitable solution in differnt areas, however, I think it is very hard to find a situation where Linux is the best desktop OS for your average user unless you have absolutely no money to spend.

Your argument is just supporting the patents office and closed source systems - you haven't browsed enough for some very simple Linux systems out there for newbies. I think there are solutions out there that haven't been patented and if you have to stick with windows there are open source applications that work on windows (sourceforge.net), and there is OpenEducation CD - Open source software for families that can't afford Microsoft Office Products. Cross-over office might get that Windows software working for you!

Go see http://www.gnu.org/fry on my arguments - Stephen Fry for GNU/Linux ambassador!

and to do this I would have to find a file and add a bit of code on the end....now you think I understand this....because I don't :hihi:

Pretty trivial, when compared to the messing about I've had in the past with M$ products (having to write full mouse drivers/floppy + HD controllers for M$ Dos 4/5/6).

In this case, it was Ventrillo that had me over a barrel, and I can't see that ever changing as the developers have said they will never allow a Linux port.

Did you not give it a go under WINE?

Did you not give it a go under WINE?

It was under WINE :) I can't remember the exact issues, of which there was a few, but basically the whole push-to-talk mechanism wouldn't work, nor would it share sound with any other running apps under WINE.

I junked it anyway; I don't like dual booting, and it still doesn't run the applications I need to use at home. In this case, it was Ventrillo that had me over a barrel, and I can't see that ever changing as the developers have said they will never allow a Linux port.

That is the problem with proprietary software, the developers have you over a barrel. If you think you need it now, what's going to happen when they stop developing it (It looks almost dead now)? What's going to happen when it doesn't work in the latest version of Windows?

Does it really offer much more than a standard SIP phone?

Open source, open protocols & open file formats are an insurance policy. If the original developer stops producing the software, somebody can take over, or alternatives can be produced. You can even pay a developer to keep it up to date, if you're the only person using the software.

Those things aren't possible if everything is a trade secret.

You can always run XP in a virtual machine on a linux box if something just won't work any other way.

And Windows 7 too! but display and sound a bit rough!

swarfendor43

Ubuntu 10.04 is now out!

Ubuntu includes Mozilla Firefox – for fast, safe web browsing. You can also choose alternative open-source browsers from the Ubuntu Software Centre, like Google Chrome and Opera.

Create professional documents and presentations

OpenOffice.org is fully compatible with Microsoft Office and has everything you need to create professional documents, spreadsheets and presentations. OpenOffice.org is easy to use, packed with the features you need and completely free.

Get free software

The Ubuntu Software Centre gives you instant access to thousands of free open-source applications. Browse software in categories including: education, games, sound and video, graphics, programming and office. Software is easy to find, easy to install and easy to remove.

Email and chat

Get chatting with Empathy. Quickly integrate your chat accounts from Yahoo, Gmail, MSN, Jabber, AOL, QQ and many more. Evolution Mail provides easy, intuitive email.

Social from the start

New in 10.04. Read and update your social networks instantly. Ubuntu's new Me Menu lets you access your Facebook and Twitter accounts (and more) straight away. Connect to your chat channels and make updates through a single window. Being sociable has never been so easy.

Buy music while you listen

New in 10.04. Ubuntu's new music player includes an integrated store, so you can buy and download new tracks with just a few clicks. And thanks to Ubuntu One's file-sharing magic you can store your music online and listen to it from other computers and music players. Ubuntu works with most music and media players.

View, store and edit photos

Ubuntu is ready for all your gadgets. Connect your phones and cameras to download your pictures. You can organise your photos with F-Spot and use popular tools like Picasa, Facebook and Flickr. For advanced photo editing, find a free application from the Ubuntu Software Centre.

Mobilise your digital life!

All Ubuntu users get a free Ubuntu One account. Ubuntu One allows you to store all kinds of files online so you can access them anywhere. Store bookmarks, contacts, music and pictures. Take everything everywhere with Ubuntu One.

Make, play and edit video

Watch all your favourite content from YouTube, iPlayer, and MSN Player. Play your own videos with Movie Player or use Pitivi to edit your videos.

Start fast with Ubuntu

Ubuntu loads quickly on any computer, but it's super-fast on newer machines. After loading, opening a browser takes seconds, unlike other operating systems that leave you staring at the screen, waiting to get online.

Choose from hundreds of free games

The Ubuntu Software Centre offers hundreds of games, including puzzles, adventures, tactical challenges and more. All free to choose and free to use.

Accessibility

At the core of the Ubuntu philosophy is the belief that computing is for everyone and access should be free and complete whatever your economic or physical circumstances. Ubuntu is one of the most accessible desktop operating systems around.

Learn more about Ubuntu

Just a little update - just when you thought the guy behind Ultimate Edition would be taking a breather, 2.7 is coming soon!

regards,

swarfendor43