First Bus Strikes - The rights and wrongs of the strikes

My biggest gripe will be the fact that us regular stagecoach users will have difficulty getting a bus.

I never get a first bus to and from work and must admit I will feel a bit miffed if I can't get my bus because first passengers have already filled it.:(

if this happens then i cant get to college monday or my placement thursday or friday

...in which case remove their routes and give them to stagecoach who seem to be able to keep their drivers happy and charge lower fares.

:loopy: And why do you think Stagecoach have lower fares? *ahem* Smaller network, perhaps?

theres no such thing as time and half at First!!

Sssshhhh, she knows EVERYTHING dont'ya know....!

So if you strike for the right reasons you might actually get support. Unfair dismissals dont wash as people can take the company to a tribunal!

Unfortunately unions like Unite are becoming increasingly militant and using strikes as the first option rather than using all the employment laws that the unions fought for in the first place.

Magic carpet? :hihi: Take no notice Miss S, I understand completely where you are coming from, and as for the quality of the Uni you attend-what a load of crap! A degree is a degree, and good on you for pursuing a worthwhile career path. Good luck! x

If I can't get to Uni on these days I will explain why-my lecture notes are posted on the internet anyway, but it's not the same as actually being there. I don't blame the drivers, they have as much right to strike as anyone, but it is making life very difficult for lots of people.

Hahaaaaaa!! I did do as I said, and remove my subs. to the thread but have popped on for a little nosey and am appreciative of your reply.

I think some people on this forum need to get a grip on themselves and maybe spend a little less time trying to correct people/ pull people up/ bring them down and generally be pains in the backside jumping onto the smallest, simplest of comments and turning them into something they're not. Unfortunately, some people are indeed that sad.

Same here, everything we do is on the SHU website and lectures, well, unless they add a whole loads of stuff into the lecture, are not that bad to miss, although it still goes against you in attendence (the Nursing and Midwifery Council require that to register as a nurse, you have completed so many hours in uni and so many on placement). Seminars are a bugger to miss- especially when you will miss a seminar for the same module 3 weeks on the trot, as they are smaller groups of people doing more hands on work, more thinking involved etc. And practicals- well they are essential to set you up with basic skills for you to perform your nurse duties on placement. So missing those, especially mandatory ones, can be a pain in the arse.

But no worry, I'll strap mi kids to mi back and hike to uni, in the rags that I wear for clothes..... Because after all... that's what they did.. back in the day.

Sssshhhh, she knows EVERYTHING dont'ya know....!

'Scuse me, ;) but those of us who DO know everything are getting mighty browned off by those who think they do! ;) (* removes tongue from cheek*)

theres no such thing as time and half at First!!

I have close links with First, as I helped them set up their disability awareness training modules. Why do you think I put the " ;) " smilie in my comment? :hihi:

I have close links with First, as I helped them set up their disability awareness training modules. Why do you think I put the " ;) " smilie in my comment? :hihi:
so does doddicus he has close links with them too.

I have never known a company strike as often as they do!

They disgust me. The conditions arent that bad for godsake.

What abotu jobs such as nursery nurses or teaching assistants where people have actually gone to college for a year or 2 to learn this and still get less pay than bus drivers for a physically and mentally tiring job.

I think a bus drivers pay could be slightly more for the abuse they get from the public yes. However its swings and round abouts cos alot of drivers have a massive chip on their shoulder and their attitude causes people to kick off. My uncle has only ever had 2 people abuse him in over 30 years of working on public transport, but he doesnt have an attitude like alot of drivers I witness do. Some bring it on themselves.

There are lots of job out there that could have better pay, but we dont all strike to inconvenince the public do we? The drivers who want to strike are a complete set of wasters!

I will generally support strikers, but something about First drivers fails to get me fired up in support of them. Maybe it's because so many of them behave appallingly at work, abusing customers, driving badly, generally being aggressive and arrogant. Of course there are some good ones, but there's a horrible culture among a lot of their drivers.