How can I Increase my web traffic?

Hi There

First thing SEO is not a quick fix, no company can have you on page 1 of Google within a "day or so" as was mentioned earlier it takes a few months before you see movement in Google. MSN and Yahoo are quicker to pick up sites and move them in the rankings but Google is much harder to crack. You can get quick results with Black hat techniques but when Google finds out itwill remove you completely from the listings for a while if not for good! If you do too much all at once Google will jump on your site like a lion on a wildebeast! It will scrutinise it heavily and may not like what it finds.

OP i would possibly suggest using a slightly different keyword to "door alarm" simply because the competition will be high on that, adding another word can make the world of difference. Use the Google Keyword tool to find keywords. look for those with a decent search volume but only mid range competition as these offer good value.

Get yourself a decent SEO book. For a relatively small outlay £15-£25 quid you can get some good basic info from it and lay some good foundations for your site...search wise. PM me for my opinions on decent books. Once you have some cash coming in invest in a good SEO company, it is becoming harder and harder to rank well in the search engines, just because of the time it takes each month.

Be very wary of reciprocal links, Google hates them and if it finds them it will frown on your site and penalise you. Reciprocal links with relevance are however excellent and Google will like them.

Hi,

Here is my suggestion for you.

Join some good forums so that you can leave your website link in them. This will increase traffic in two ways. Firstly people who read your posts are likely to click the link to checkout your site. secondly search engines will generally accept the link which adds up to your link popularity.

Most popular forums software have archiving built in them and so your links are lost after a certain length of time because links are stripped out when they are archived. I've see cases of threads being archived within a couple of months on Sheffield forum.

Beside the point, there are 50+ other links on a page that dilute the link juice you are chasing after to practically worthless. Of couse excessive link back to your site via your post and signature do increase your % share but it becomes a lot of work for short lived gain.

The only positive for doing link back, like you said, is that someone might happened to be interested in a particular service you offer.

Has anyone got any suggestions for articles? Im struggling a bit here. I want to write plenty of articles for my site and also include articles from other websites and relevant links but im struggling with what to do...

I want the articles to be fairly interesting and not 100% focused around security or door alarms but to not stray to far from security, if anyone follows..?

That way, on my homepage, I can have different news articles of my own and from other sites and also submit my articles to blog sites and article submission sites.

Any one have any idea about where I can start and what to write about?

It is not legal to have a business website without a geographical location being presence. By law you MUST also state whether your price(s) displayed includes or excludes VAT amount.

Until you implement these changes no matter how well you write your articles I can guarrentee that you are losing customers by not supplying the above information.

At least you are compilance with providing your business address on the WHOIS database.

and if you are vat registered you should also display your vat number.

and if you're ltd - full details as required by CH....

the list is endless of what people should do but you're right, certain missing data looks suss to a potential buyer.

okey fair enough, will sort that out asap.

At the moment im still learning about VAT etc, so how do I go about it? Do I simply just state "VAT included". What steps do I have to take. The VAT is included as Im not adding anything onto the price...

Also when you say I need to state my geographical location, would I simply just put this information in the "About Us" page?

Is there a site or a check list of any kind I could use to make sure Im doing everything correctly as it isnt my intention to miss these things out, im just new to it. No matter how obvious these mistakes may be :s

Edited by royb121

Check list here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=366842

When you've done that you might want to read this useful article: http://mashable.com/2009/10/28/small-business-marketing/

Then consider in adding your product for free here: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=%22door%20alarm%22&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

im on it, Cheers John

Also how do you add your product to google products?

Edited by royb121

are you actually vat registered? Or have you bought these products and paid the vat on them? Cos thats not the same thing as being vat registered.

I am defiantly not VAT registered...

The sign up page is here: http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/products/submit.html

There are other sites out there offering similar services - Some are free, others aren't like Yahoo shopping.

Amazon charge £0.86p per item sold through their site as long as you sell less than 40 per month. see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200314070

It just a matter of discovering what out there as I don't have a comprehensive list on these.

Indizine might have one on her site?