How can I Increase my web traffic?

Ive just started my own business placement at Sheffield Hallam and im running a domestic security business. I only have one product at the moment and have it advertised in several free classified ad sites on the internet and also have my own website www.outhousesecurity.co.uk

The only problem is getting the word out. I wondered if anyone has any ideas about making the website a bit (a lot) more interesting as it is an extremily sad looking website at the moment...

I cant increase my product range at the moment as i cant afford to but i need to have a USP... anything to make people come to my site.

Help!

There are ways to make a one-product website look good and work at the same time (ie convert from visitor to customer).

Take a look at this site done by a business associate of mine (another web designer no less ;))

http://www.pencilpal.co.uk/

the site was done really quick, and started getting orders pretty much straight away.

ps It says it's wireless but that looks like a wire cominh from the unit to the door sensor to me :confused:

Edited by indizine

what a great simple idea!

I understand I need to add more content to the site to "beef" it up a bit. I just dont know what else to add?

Also how did pencilpal get orders straight away? How did he advertise the product?

The site was optimised and resubmitted to the search engines which generated the traffic.

It looked very much like yours before Daren produced the new one, as the guy had done just like you - come to a forum (where i'm a mod) asked pretty much the same thing, how to get it to market, Daren made suggestions and the OP approached him to do the job even though that's not what the guy had come to the forum to ask.

Edited by indizine

OP?

So do you suggest I research more into google and "optimise" it?

OP - original poster

yes, you should always optimise any website that needs to generate search engine traffic otherwise it won't get found, not least, for keywords that have a decent amount of daily searches.

Ive just started my own business placement at Sheffield Hallam and im running a domestic security business. I only have one product at the moment and have it advertised in several free classified ad sites on the internet and also have my own website www.outhousesecurity.co.uk

The only problem is getting the word out. I wondered if anyone has any ideas about making the website a bit (a lot) more interesting as it is an extremily sad looking website at the moment...

I cant increase my product range at the moment as i cant afford to but i need to have a USP... anything to make people come to my site.

Help!

Hi, your site looks ok! Theres just a few things you could try.

I agree with indizine. My skills arnt really SEO but heres some advice on how to get a better response from your traffic.

Like I say your site isnt to bad at all, however have you looked into backlinks? They can seriously improve your search engine position. Backlinks are great but you have to make sure your sites relivant if it goes on articles... i realise you operate a local business so you must get that right.

A few good ways of turning browsers into customers are:

1. Opt in's. Have you considered this on your home page. Its a good way of building a steady customer list? It will allow you to communicate with your customers on a regular basis. I realise your products arnt like selling "consumer products" such as handbags etc, but if you get a steady flow of traffic... having their details could be worth its weight in gold. There are certain ways of getting them to opt in.

2. I like your fact at the top of your own page... really good... I could give you free examples of how to communicate with your reader. Just let me know, its so important you talk to them, not at them... not that you are doing that, its just that getting this right, could be the difference. You have lots of space at the bottom of your page, get your customers to write a few sentences of how good your product are. Or... have a video of you, your company or exsisting customers... get that trust factor and more importantly PROOF that your product is as good as you say!

3. Offer a really good deal and a strong guarantee and call to action.

These are just a few things to get you started.

PS also trying getting your url link on other sites... that compliments your product.

Hope this helps, like i said... if you want i could send you some examples of writing a killer advertising advert and all my other points.

Hope ive helped a little... good luck :)

wow. Brilliant, thanks for that, im taking everything in. When it comes to running your own business and marketing it correctly, I realised it's a lot harder than i thought. Thanks for all that I'll be in touch

wow. Brilliant, thanks for that, im taking everything in. When it comes to running your own business and marketing it correctly, I realised it's a lot harder than i thought. Thanks for all that I'll be in touch

No Probs! :)

Rob would you be interested on having a link on our site an vice versa? Also great thread taken on board a lot of those tips JC for our site too!

yes absolutely, I dont know if you noticed but I have a links bit at the bottom of every page, but erm... no links :| so the more the merrier!

make sure links are relevant. Linking back and forth (reciprocal links) have no value if a)the site you link to has no or low PageRank value and b) is not relevant to your product or service. Don't swap for swappings sake.