Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Does anyone remember the "Pete Lloyd Four"...."Pete Lloyd and the Strangers" or the "Ryall Brothers"......

As seen at the "Mailcoach" in Rotherham late fifties and the "Blue Bell" in Hackenthorpe early sixties along with a few other places.?

My dad was a coach painter and sign writer and put The Strangers name on the side of their van. They used to practise at Bramley Welfare Hall every week and my sister and I used to go and watch them. I believe they came from Rawmarsh.

I knew the boys out of New Jersey Turnpike there was Bob Holt, Pete, Ivor, and someone else and I am sure that they changed their name at one point.

I believe that they were previously 'The Wolves'. I seem to remember one of the members was called Ross ...??

I played with Pete Fender in The Pete Fender Show

The group members were :-

Trefor Jones - Pete Fender

Neil Shaw - Drummer - he hurt his leg in a swimming accident

Dave Bartles - Bass Player

Dave Rawson - Great Lead Guitar

After That I joined The Timebeats doing working mens clubs

Barry Jesson - lead guitar Singer

Dave Swain - Drummer

Dave Bartles - Bass guitar

Tony Needes - Second Guitar

Finally I ended up in AZULYKIT doing comedy

Roy Braddow - Singer - previously Roy Dwain and the Embers

Denis Dorset - Drummer - uncle of Ray Dorset(Mungo Jerry)

Dave Bartles - Bass Guitar

Bob Burnham - Keyboards

Hi Dave, long time no see or hear, great memories. Tony

I believe that they were previously 'The Wolves'. I seem to remember one of the members was called Ross ...??

That's correct, Ross Grant,

The Wolves, went on to form Quinceharmon, then some of them went on to form New Jersey Turnpike,

The Wolves were Ross Grant, Bass player, Ivor Drawmer, Keyboards, Pete Jowle, Guitar, Bob Holt, Vocals, the drummers were Roger Harrison & Pete Wardlow.

Ross & Pete Jowle also did main vocals as well.

Eddie Falcon and the Tremors are the only ones I can't remember, but the rest I do. Chuck Fowler, Pete Fender, The Greycats, O'Hara's Playboys, The Daizies, Jimmy Crawford.

Thanks for the memories.

We used to see Eddie Falcon and the Tremors most weekends at the Lathkildale Hotel the top side of Bakewell in the 60s!.Used to love it out there at the weekendings the only downside was the dodgy journey home to Sheffield when everyone was full of drink and fancied themselves as Fangio,great times!.I think Eddie Falcon operated more round Chesterfield and Derbyshire than the Sheffield area so maybe that's why Zeke can,t remember!.:confused::love:

Have a programme for a show at the City Hall organised by Pete and Geoff Stringfellow on 23 Jan 1964.

It says it's the 1964 Show but I'm sure it was called the 2 Cities R&B Show.

It was called that cos it featured bands from Sheffield and Manchester

In order of appearance :

Bobby Dene and the Nocturnes

Dave West and the Cherokees

Vance Arnold and the Avengers

Lorraine Gray and the Chaperones

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders

Interval

Dene and the Deputies

Johnny and the Cadillacs

Dave Berry and the Cruisers

The Hollies

The programme also promotes The Black Cat and The Blue Moon and a great R&B disc by The Sheffields ' It must be love ' on the Pye Label

Youll like this

Jimmy Saville says ' A dead ringer for the charts'

I was that musician with Bobby Dene and the Nocturnes; I had forgotten all the bands who were on that show.

Thanks for the memories!!

So many early 60s bands (Groups) not mentioned in that book.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 16:59 ----------

Exactly, most don't realise what a thriving scene in Sheffield there was prior to the emergence of Beatlemania which then kicked it into overdrive.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 17:03 ----------

Stewart was Rod The Mod, just the fill in whilst Baldry who was the featured vocalist took a break.

We chatted to LJB (when he took the break) about the Cyril Davis All Stars

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 17:04 ----------

Wasn't it Chris Garfield?

Sorry Garfield, I was a friend of his late wife Jayne who was head teacher at a school in Eckington during the miners strike.

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 19:34 ----------

We used to see Eddie Falcon and the Tremors most weekends at the Lathkildale Hotel the top side of Bakewell in the 60s!.Used to love it out there at the weekendings the only downside was the dodgy journey home to Sheffield when everyone was full of drink and fancied themselves as Fangio,great times!.I think Eddie Falcon operated more round Chesterfield and Derbyshire than the Sheffield area so maybe that's why Zeke can,t remember!.:confused::love:

Some of those Fangio's never made it home.

Just finished an updated and expanded new book about Club 60 & the Esquire from the 1960s. This includes loads of stories about Sheffield bands and behind the scenes gossip. The book also contains tons of photos. Sounds From The 60s - Club 60 & The Esquire: Behind the scenes during the great days of 60s rock n' roll, blues, pop and jazz by Don Hale

What's the title and how much is it?

Just remembered who Bitter Suite were not New Jersey Turnpike, but they changed their name from something else and cannot remember what it was, anyone remember.

Ponders End?

Logo like a London tube station?

Yes they were originally called Dean Marshall and his deputies,then Lizards,then Bitter Suite.