Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Jimmy James and the vagabonds.

I lived next door to Chris Garside who was lead guitar with the group.

He watched himself on top of the pops sat in our front room.

Is Chris still around the music scene.

I saw Paul Carrack and his band in concert last October and Chris Garside, if it is the same one, is in his band along with Steve Beighton on Sax, Paul Copley on keyboards, Jeremy Meek on Bass and Dean Duke on Drums, I think all are from the Sheffield area, If you get the chance to see them in concert you would not be disappointed they put on a top show, all their concerts are sell outs. At present Paul Carrack is playing in Eric Clapton's Band at the Albert Hall in London.

Sorry fella, you've got your dates wrong , Joe didn't leave Shefield in 63,I was with him in 65.

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 16:00 ----------

Sorry fella, you've got your dates wrong , Joe didn't leave Sheffield in 63,I was with him in 65.

Misunderstanding. I left sheffield in 63 so i missed out on the fantastic 60s. I believe joe used to go to western road for woodwork where i went to school so last time i went to his concert i took a banner with me with wrs and dates, but the only tickets i could get were on the very back row! Anyhow, i think we've better places on wednesday.

Frank White at the Penthouse, Joe Cocker at the Shades and the Fleur when Ossie had it.

Great Nights.

Used to see Joe's drummer Kenny Slade knocking about, is he still around?

sorry don't know of him .I think rodger Harrison did some of his work but he died around 4 years ago

[quote=louan;

I believe joe used to go to western road for woodwork where i went to school.

Joe went to Lydgate Lane, failed the 11 plus in 1955, and went into the seniors at Western Road as did most of the people that failed, because there was no senior school at Lydgate Lane school.

He then sat the other test for the central Tech at Western Rd sometime later and passed, but his passion from being a young bloke was always music.

It is his 69th birthday today.

Dene Marshal and his deputies,the lizards,bitter suite,Phil Brodie band. That were the names of the band. Phil Brodie band still play gigs.

When Barry Was with Dean (not Dene) Marshall and the Deputies, I lived next door but one to Roger (Drummer) and Pete Jackson (base guitar) and used to listen to them rehearsing in a hut in their garden!! I was "in love" with Barry (I was only 14)!!

I remember watching Bitter Suite at the Penthouse at the top of Dixon Lane. To this day Pete Jackson is still part of the Hill Billy Cats who play first friday in every month at the Office Upperthorpe, along with Frank White and an amazing keyboard player aged 18 called Sam!!

Have a programme for a show at the City Hall organised by Pete and Geoff Stringfellow on 23 Jan 1964.

It says it's the 1964 Show but I'm sure it was called the 2 Cities R&B Show.

It was called that cos it featured bands from Sheffield and Manchester

In order of appearance :

Bobby Dene and the Nocturnes

Dave West and the Cherokees

Vance Arnold and the Avengers

Lorraine Gray and the Chaperones

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders

Interval

Dene and the Deputies

Johnny and the Cadillacs

Dave Berry and the Cruisers

The Hollies

The programme also promotes The Black Cat and The Blue Moon and a great R&B disc by The Sheffields ' It must be love ' on the Pye Label

Youll like this

Jimmy Saville says ' A dead ringer for the charts'

When Barry Was with Dean (not Dene) Marshall and the Deputies, I lived next door but one to Roger (Drummer) and Pete Jackson (base guitar) and used to listen to them rehearsing in a hut in their garden!! I was "in love" with Barry (I was only 14)!!

I remember watching Bitter Suite at the Penthouse at the top of Dixon Lane. To this day Pete Jackson is still part of the Hill Billy Cats who play first friday in every month at the Office Upperthorpe, along with Frank White and an amazing keyboard player aged 18 called Sam!!

Barry is my cousin,he is an agent nowadays living at Woodhouse Mill,or he was when I last spoke to him,when we were kids we used to get up to some right capers,I moved to Nottinghamshire in my teens but I used to see a lot of him because they did a lot of gigs round here and I think originally it was Dene,but Im not arguing over a vowel.

Don't know if anyone can help, but I'm trying to find Terry Vigg who played Rhythm guitar for The Tribunes back on the mid sixties. Hope someone can help. He has a brother, John, who at my last contact was living in Rotherham.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.......

The mucky duck was the place to be for bands in the early seventies saw some great ones there, national and local bands some of which went on to be famous.

Originally Posted by GrahamY View Post

Although I was only 4 years old at the time, I remember Dave Graham Four and The Dave Hawley Combo. You could write a book! In fact someone has, it's called 'Not Like A Proper Job', available now!

the books written by john firminger

So many early 60s bands (Groups) not mentioned in that book.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 16:59 ----------

Originally Posted by Westieman View Post

What an absolutely fascinating thread - so many memories revived of local bands that I had forgotten, By crikey there's some talented names on here

Saw the Grease band in 1967 at Killamarsh Secondary School - 2 years later and young Joe was at Woodstock - not a bad journey in 2 years for a Sheffield lad

Anyone remember Zakery Thakk?

It took Joe more than 2 years. He sang as Vance Arnold and the Avengers back in '61. In the early 60's he appeared at the Fleur de Lys, Totley and loads of other pubs and clubs. In 1966, I believe he was stacking shelves in somewhere like W H Smith's as he just couldn't get the work as a singer.

Exactly, most don't realise what a thriving scene in Sheffield there was prior to the emergence of Beatlemania which then kicked it into overdrive.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 17:03 ----------

I remember Long John Baldrey and the Hoochie Coochie men featuring Rod Stewart at the Mojo and Freddy and the Dreamers at Dial House club :D
Stewart was Rod The Mod, just the fill in whilst Baldry who was the featured vocalist took a break.

We chatted to LJB (when he took the break) about the Cyril Davis All Stars

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 17:04 ----------

Jimmy James and the vagabonds.

I lived next door to Chris Garside who was lead guitar with the group.

He watched himself on top of the pops sat in our front room.

Is Chris still around the music scene.

Wasn't it Chris Garfield?

Bitter suite and there version of Butter fly ball was brill, also remember New Jersey Turnpike and Tyke.

O haras playboys well Mr O Hara still does the circuit but on his own these days and although he is now a shadow of his former self i try to get to see him in my local now and again.

Paul

Am I mistaken or wasn't New Jersery Turnpike and Bitter Suite the same band with maybe one member different. I knew the boys out of New Jersey Turnpike there was Bob Holt, Pete, Ivor, and someone else and I am sure that they changed their name at one point. I also remember O'haras Playboys. John O'hara was from Scotland and real Glasweigan. Great Bands great days.

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 01:25 ----------

Am I mistaken or wasn't New Jersery Turnpike and Bitter Suite the same band with maybe one member different. I knew the boys out of New Jersey Turnpike there was Bob Holt, Pete, Ivor, and someone else and I am sure that they changed their name at one point. I also remember O'haras Playboys. John O'hara was from Scotland and real Glasweigan. Great Bands great days.

Just remembered who Bitter Suite were not New Jersey Turnpike, but they changed their name from something else and cannot remember what it was, anyone remember.

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 01:38 ----------

Hi Jack Hewitt

My apologies for not calling the club by its correct name & yes it sure was called the KING MOJO CLUB & Pete always refered to it as just that. My memories of Karen are clear, but she was just a tiny little girl back then. She was occassionally brought to the club ,not allowed to stay long as she would only have been 3 or 4 years old (pretty little blonde girl who obviously adored her dad...didnt we all). haha. We are talking more than 40 years ago. It seems like yesterday to all we old Mojo clubbers though, because those times were so good we are stuck in a bit of a time warp about it all I think. I always considered we were so lucky to have been teenagers in the 60's living in the UK & for us living in Sheffield, we were even luckier as we had the Mojo ....sorry KING MOJO CLUB. Say what you like about Stringfellow, I always say he was the best thing since sliced bread for Sheffield teens. No doubt I will cop some flack for that, but speak as you find & personally I think he was fantastic & I almost lived at the KING MOJO CLUB.

I remember the Stringfellow Brothers from Cinderella Rockerfellas in Leeds, they all had white E Types. Your right Pete Stringfellow used to come into the club after watching Star Trek and asked questions for bottles of champagne, he was the best DJ ever bar none and the club was always hopping went he was there.

Does anyone remember the bands of the sixties?

Sheffield had the greatest music scene next to Liverpool.

Come on you old musos, lets hear from you!

I remember O hara and his playboys but I think they were from wolverhampton.