Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Bryan, it sure was some club, you had to be a teenager of the 60's to really appreciate what Stringfellow really did for us. There were never any fights, saw almost nil in the way of drugs, all that went there were there for the music dancing & fashion. Stringfellow certainly had an ear for a good artist or band & we saw them all for about 5Bob. Nothing will match the MOJO.

you know, I'm a great fan of Jim Morrison and the Doors and Jimi Hendrix. I think Doors made a very good undergroundmusic and their short career was filled of all parts of the life.

But I don't know Mojo :blush:

greedings from Germany - AAndy

Hendrix played the Mojo in January 1967 and Sheffield City Hall in November 1967. Only times he played in the city.

I was lucky enough to see both shows. The Mojo gig was the best by miles as the City Hall Show was a label tour with several other bands.

How about this line up for five shillings (25 pence)

Hendrix

The Move

Amen Corner

Pink Floyd

The Nice

Andy

Amen Corner... wasn't that that band who was later named Fairweather Low??

gfG - AAndy

Wow what a line up Andyman, your not kidding.

I pass the site were the mojo stood very regular and often wonder what the place was like.

I was a kid in the 60s and my parents went to the Mojo regular but i can't remember what it looked like.

We lived in Pitsmoor at the time and until now did'nt realise that so many talented artists appeared there.

I always thought the Mojo was a night club rather than a music hall.

The Mjo Club looked like a house from the outside, it had a bit of a carpark at the front & then you walked through a wooden door & up some steps to the entrance of the club. All the Stringfellow family worked in the club Pete Geoff Paul & there was a younger brother too young to work called Terry. Mr & Mrs. Stringfellow also worked there Mrs. S on the cashiers desk Mr. S a bouncer & another bouncer called Mick should call them doormen actually as they never had any bouncing to do, fights just never happened.

Geoffs wife Maureen also worked on the cashiers desk. It was a fantastic club for kids who loved music dancing & fashion. I often wonder what mischief my girlfriends & I would have got up to had it not been for the Mojo, it provided everything we needed. Pete Stringfellow had so much charisma & contrary to belief did not condone drug use. Its a pity there isnt something & someone around nowadays that could provide another Mojo but it would be hard to find another Stringfellow.

Originally posted by AAndy

Amen Corner... wasn't that that band who was later named Fairweather Low??

gfG - AAndy

Not quite.

The lead singer was Andy Fairweather-Lowe who later went solo.

He is now a session man and supports/backs a lot of sixties bands live.

Andy

Hving read through the bands, (marvellous memories) one name is missing. Surely no-one has forgotten "Johnny Tempest and the Cruisers". Along with Dave Berry and Vance Arnold the top three bands in Sheffield. Sadly John left us a good few years ago but in many peoples memories his music lives on.

I haven't forgotten John Tempest, I used to work with him many many years ago & always thought of him as a good friend as well as a good bloke, I was very sad to hear of his death & only found out a couple of years ago when I read Pete Stringfellows book.

John & his band were around for many years along with all the others at that time Joe Cocker, Dave Berry, Screamin Lord Such, someone else I havent heard anything of for years Fred Alcock who had a band, there was Alan Marshall, Steve Crane, Keith ? & Martin Snowden.

Further to my reply of 12th. At the time we are talking about (ie the 60's) Johnny Tempests backing group was not the Cruisers (they were Dave Berry's band) but the Cadillacs. I must be getting old to have gotten that wrong!

Originally posted by John D.

Further to my reply of 12th. At the time we are talking about (ie the 60's) Johnny Tempests backing group was not the Cruisers (they were Dave Berry's band) but the Cadillacs. I must be getting old to have gotten that wrong!

Johnny Tempest started with the Mariners I think "Do Not Forsake Me ...mind..":?

Originally posted by Mike Higginson

Sorry! Don's surname was Butterell. He lived at Commonside.

Don lives at Totley, he is doing photography. He took some photos at our last few gigs