Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

On 28/02/2003 at 07:16, Smithowls said:

:D Yes I do remember and was thinking of my brother's band only this week. He played in The Vantennas and I have a copy of a great poster where they were the support band to The Rolling Stones at the City Hall in the 1960's. I have also a Sheffield Star pull-out 'special' about the local music scene, form that era, with the Vantennas photo on the front cove and would you believe a photo of an up-and-coming band, from Liverpool, on the back cover - The Beatles!

Good prompt thanks for the memories!

What was his name I know bob who was the drummer of the band. 

Hi all, new to this forum  but would like to  clear up some confusion regarding  Paintbox. This is as I  recall with apologies to Blackie and others if I get anything wrong but perhaps I can shed a little light into the band Paintbox and the single ‘Get ready for Love’.

PAINTBOX POTTED HISTORY

The Sheffield band Paintbox existed in two different formats.

Paintbox 1:

Paintbox originally morphed out of the Cavendish club residency. This band consisted of guitar, bass, drums, organ, brass section and two vocalists. The singers at first were Sue Jackson and a chap who’s name I don’t recall but at some point, a second girl singer (I think she was called something like Marylin) took over from the male.

During this period in about 1970 the band were approached by Young Blood records with a view to recording and promoting ‘Get ready for love’ a song written by George Alexander (links to the Easybeats and AC/DC).

The song was recorded with a mixture of Paintbox and non Paintbox musicians however I believe that the band didn’t sign a recording contract and fatefully didn’t register the band name.

Young Blood were affiliated to EMI for distribution, however the single was poorly supported by them and failed to have  much success.

The inevitable ‘band shenanigans’ then occurred resulting in the band breaking in two. Sue and Neil went in one direction taking the band name with them and Marylin? the guitarist and the organist went in another. I believe they formed a band called ‘Venus’ The very talented brass section pursued other paid musical employment.

Paintbox 2:

I was playing in a band with the superb Dave Trent on guitar and Mick Charlesworth was driving for us. Mick arranged a meeting with Sue and Neil and Paintbox version 2 was born. This consisted of, Dave on guitar, me on bass/vocals. Mick on Hammond, Neil (exceptionally brilliant) on drums and Sue (equally brilliant) on vocals.

Young Blood pulled the plug on the Sheffield Paintbox/Get ready For Love venture eventually printing the record sleeve showing a group of chaps with a look similar to The Foundations or Equals who were both having success at the time.

Paintbox version 2 however went on the road still promoting the single.

Dave eventually became disillusioned with the direction the band was taking i.e becoming more about image than musical content (Mick was always pushing the band dress code approach),  he left  and formed the band Merlin.

Lead guitar position was filled admirably by Paul Hill who was trumpet player in Paintbox 1 and the band resumed touring.  However, after a number of ill conceived, poorly paid and poorly managed tours which saw us sleeping in clubs, on fans floors and in the back of an empty 35CWT Tranny in January, I also threw in the towel and the band folded. I went on to play with a number of bands based in and around Sheffield including a stint with Dave Berry‘s Cruisers before emigrating (to Lincolnshire). I'm still playing and still not very good.

Cheers

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2003 at 00:33, zeke said:

Does anyone remember the bands of the sixties?

Sheffield had the greatest music scene next to Liverpool.

Come on you old musos, lets hear from you!

I can remember a band from Sheffield, The Travellers Express !anybody else heard of them ?

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Anyone heard of Danny Harmon & the??, Forget the bands name

Was it the Sapphires, I seem to recall the Cherokees as well ?

Does anyone remember Panic? Can't say as I do but they seem to have been a decent outfit.

27 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Does anyone remember Panic? Can't say as I do but they seem to have been a decent outfit.

That was excellent Jim,looks like Mal Hooley(RIP)on bass behind the long hair and beard, he was a great bass player even at 16. Could be wrong as I wasn't up with the scene that late in the decade, so don't recognise the name of the band, I knew Mal in the early 60s when that look had not yet arrived.lol. The lead guy sounded a bit like Peter Green,founder of Fleetwood Mac, but forgot what he looked like.

2 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

That was excellent Jim,looks like Mal Hooley(RIP)on bass behind the long hair and beard, he was a great bass player even at 16. Could be wrong as I wasn't up with the scene that late in the decade, so don't recognise the name of the band, I knew Mal in the early 60s when that look had not yet arrived.lol. The lead guy sounded a bit like Peter Green,founder of Fleetwood Mac, but forgot what he looked like.

Not Peter Green although he did play Weston Park, probably in 1970.

58 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not Peter Green although he did play Weston Park, probably in 1970.

I was just thinking aloud and guessing, because the guy had a similar style and I did know he had played Weston Park around that era. Not 100% sure the bass player is Mal Hooley either to be honest, but behind all the hair there was a resemblance and he could certainly play great.

Talking of Sheffield musicians, and this guy also started out playing bass,can there be anyone with a more prolific body of work than this lad from Woodseats, check the list :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Stainton

Does anyone remember the Whirlwinds? It was a group that played the clubs 60s.

I used to go to the Sicey on Thursdays for live groups again 60s

53 minutes ago, Mags said:

Does anyone remember the Whirlwinds? It was a group that played the clubs 60s.

I used to go to the Sicey on Thursdays for live groups again 60s

Me as well Mags, remember the candles on the table, and the beer (was it queens).

Can remember the Whirlwinds, great group,  and Pat Leslie and the Greycats, what a voice she had.

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

Me as well Mags, remember the candles on the table, and the beer (was it queens).

Can remember the Whirlwinds, great group,  and Pat Leslie and the Greycats, what a voice she had.

Yes, it was a Tennants pub.