Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

True, about '72 to '78, not from Sheffield either.They were made up of 2 Mindbenders and 2 from Hotfoot.

10cc were; Eric Stewart

Graham Gouldman

Lol Crème

Kevin Godley

All four were from Manchester and all were with Hotlegs, the groups initial name. Stewart was with the original Mindbenders-1963-68 with Gouldman joining them in the latter months.

Edited by stpetre
spelling

10cc were; Eric Stewart

Graham Gouldman

Lol Crème

Kevin Godley

All four were from Manchester and all were with Hotlegs, the groups initial name. Stewart was with the original Mindbenders-1963-68 with Gouldman joining them in the latter months.

Yeah one hit wonders, I knew the banal hit they had Neanderthal Man and I knew Godley and Crème were in the band, never knew that all 4 were the HOTLEGS band as opposed to HOTFOOT lol. Gouldman was a hit songwriter at 16 years old Bus Stop by the Hollies being one of them. I was asked many times in the seventies if I was Kevin Godley,beards do that sometimes I suppose.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 21:55 ----------

what about, jonny tempest & the cadillacs - pete york & the pontiacs, shane fenton & the fentones

Shane Fenton and the Fentones,, saw them at Rotherham baths hall.( didn't he become Alvin Stardust in the 70's ?) According to a mate of mine who played in a band on the same bill as them in mid sixties the guy was an ego maniac and didn't half fancy himself.Thought they were from Mansfield.

Edited by TORONTONY

Yeah one hit wonders, I knew the banal hit they had Neanderthal Man and I knew Godley and Crème were in the band, never knew that all 4 were the HOTLEGS band as opposed to HOTFOOT lol. Gouldman was a hit songwriter at 16 years old Bus Stop by the Hollies being one of them. I was asked many times in the seventies if I was Kevin Godley,beards do that sometimes I suppose.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 21:55 ----------

Shane Fenton and the Fentones,, saw them at Rotherham baths hall.( didn't he become Alvin Stardust in the 70's ?) According to a mate of mine who played in a band on the same bill as them in mid sixties the guy was an ego maniac and didn't half fancy himself.Thought they were from Mansfield.

Shane Fenton/Alvin Stardust (born Bernard Jewry) was from Mansfield ,but I believe the Fentones were Lancashire kids.

Shane Fenton/Alvin Stardust (born Bernard Jewry) was from Mansfield ,but I believe the Fentones were Lancashire kids.

I used to think that Alvin Lee was a Fentone as he came from thereabouts, until I read his obituary a couple of years ago.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 20:14 ----------

Hi Britrose,

Whitfender,Joe's number 2 guitarist.The lad you were fancying was Dave Memmott,he was our second drummer who took over from Steve McKenna,our first,... another 'Andsome' 'Arry'. Steve was our first real drummer when Joe came 'up-front'.

The little blonde was Sue White, whom Dave eventually married,as far as I know they are still together (quite a rare occurrence these days),In fact,both Bob Everson, (Hank Marvin lookalike and Joe's original school pal and "Bass man") and myself, are all still married to our original wives with many children, and now grandchildren between us.

Thanks for the memories,...all the best. WhiteFender.

Just out of curiosity, did Steve McKenna go to De La Salle grammar school just prior to the band's start up, it would make sense as the lad I knew by that name was always tapping rulers etc.

Recently read that the Fentones were all from Mansfield and that the original Shane Fenton died suddenly and after a meeting with the band his parents gave their nod of approval to the appointment of Bernard Jewry to replace their son in the band. That was when they got it going, remember a minor hit Moody Guy, but not much else, apart from live shows .Also I mentioned I Alvin Lee as a Fentone, got mixed up there it was Ric Lee who was a Fentone and also played for 10 Years After later

Edited by TORONTONY

John Ohara and the Playboys used to visit Sheffield regularly at the Black Swan along with Bitter suite and many others oh what glorious days, any one remember Robert King and the Allstars?

OooowThat's a blast from te past. I used to love John O'Hara and the playboys at the Mucky Duck!

Terry Staples, (or Steeples) was the compare and there's me in my hot pants and knee length suede boots... Happy days.

Back on page 11 you were talking about Danny Harman and the Wildcats, my Uncle Roger used to play with them back in the days. I am also trying to track down for him former members. I believe Maurice Hopwood died in 1996 I now know Danny died.

Roger still lives in Sheffield.

:D

Used to hang around with a group called The Mindreaders about 1963. Anyone remember them?

Thanks a million acman. That little piece of info has been bugging me for quite a while. Its usually my short term memory that fails me but just recently ive noticed my long term memory is getting worse. Its the ageing process so I suppose its only to be put up with.I can well remember many great nights round the Sheffield club scene in the sixties and seventies. By the club scene im referring to wmc,s.My lovely wife and I did the rounds following the top turns and we have many happy memories so thanks again Acman.

New Jersey were long after the 60s with an old friend Roger Harrison on Drums.

New Jersey were long after the 60s with an old friend Roger Harrison on Drums.

Around that time there was a band called 'New Jersey Turnpike' would that be them?

HI La Manga, I used to play with Roger and the Wildcats. I Emailed you with some info.

TheDrib

Drumbeats only member still gigging will be with his band 'Canyon' at the Fishpond Matlock Bath Saturday 22n August.

Would be really great to meet up with people from the golden days.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 21:21 ----------

Around that time there was a band called 'New Jersey Turnpike' would that be them?

Sure was, they were top club band and made a short comeback as 'Reunion'.