Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

best band i ever saw at the esquire was jimmy powell and the dimensions ,rod stewart was the warm up man,think he went on to ern a bob or two

Got to agree maggidee. Saw loads of acts there but Jimmy Powell was the best.

Think that would have been about 1964ish ?

what was the name of the group that changed their name to New Jersey Turnpike and then I believe they changed again to Quinceharmon .They were a brilliant band with a great lead singer but I cant for the life of me remember what they started out as???.

what was the name of the group that changed their name to New Jersey Turnpike and then I believe they changed again to Quinceharmon .They were a brilliant band with a great lead singer but I cant for the life of me remember what they started out as???.

The Wolves, went on to form Quinceharmon, then some of them went on to form New Jersey Turnpike,

Thanks a million acman. That little piece of info has been bugging me for quite a while. Its usually my short term memory that fails me but just recently ive noticed my long term memory is getting worse. Its the ageing process so I suppose its only to be put up with.I can well remember many great nights round the Sheffield club scene in the sixties and seventies. By the club scene im referring to wmc,s.My lovely wife and I did the rounds following the top turns and we have many happy memories so thanks again Acman.

My Brother played in a group called The Donbeats

my uncle was in a band called the four dons, finished in 1965 when he emigrated to australia

Alec winstone and the flintstones. Regulars at the Wharncliffe monday nights. Amusing and entertaining.

Alec winstone and the flintstones. Regulars at the Wharncliffe monday nights. Amusing and entertaining.

Used to sing "running bear" brilliant band.

Used to sing "running bear" brilliant band.

Great rendition!!!!

Madam moscovitch too--- :hihi:

Wonder where they are now??

Edited by flightliner

Hi Acman.I got your PM and was pleased you took the trouble to get back to me I messed up a message to you due to my lack of computer literacy .Anyway it brought back the nights we enjoyed at the Smithywood club with the pie and peas, bingo and jigging in the aisles at the end of listening to some magic groups with the Wol;ves having the edge. All the best. MH

I played my first gig in late summer 1962 for Pete Stringfellow at the Black Cat Club.

Our Group (Not band then) was The Drumbeats, we played on average 5 gigs per week through Beatlemania.

We're all still alive and in contact although I think I'm the only one still gigging.

I played my first gig in late summer 1962 for Pete Stringfellow at the Black Cat Club.

Our Group (Not band then) was The Drumbeats, we played on average 5 gigs per week through Beatlemania.

We're all still alive and in contact although I think I'm the only one still gigging.

Ever play the Lomas Hall at Stannington? most groups did.

Ever play the Lomas Hall at Stannington? most groups did.

Yes often along with The Memorial Hall Hillsborough on a regular basis shared with the likes of Jo Cocker when he was Vance Arnold