Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Although I was only 4 years old at the time, I remember Dave Graham Four and The Dave Hawley Combo. You could write a book! In fact someone has, it's called 'Not Like A Proper Job', available now!

the books written by john firminger

Yep, I have that book and I'm n it on page 55 right-hand column!

I remember Long John Baldrey and the Hoochie Coochie men featuring Rod Stewart at the Mojo and Freddy and the Dreamers at Dial House club

:D

the great jimmy powell is 70 on oct the 13 next month can you tell me as many stories as you can about him to pass on to him as he is hoping a book is going to be done about his life on stage and tv and on the road come on sheffield tell any stories you have of jimmy from the sheffield club days, did you see him at the non pots ecclesall rd, 1988 charity show, gerry kersy was thereand terry thornton

Only just found this site and was interested to see the name Tony Needes,guitarist with the Timebeats,A Sheffield 60's group.

I worked with Tony in the 60's and wonder if anyone knows what he's doing now.

Tony Needes went singing solo on the clubs after the Timebeats .He used to live next door but one from us but got divorced and went to live near Scunthorpe

got married again and i think got divorced again. Last i heard he was delivering fish from Grimsby but not seen him for twenty years.

What an absolutely fascinating thread - so many memories revived of local bands that I had forgotten, By crikey there's some talented names on here :D

Saw the Grease band in 1967 at Killamarsh Secondary School - 2 years later and young Joe was at Woodstock - not a bad journey in 2 years for a Sheffield lad :wow:

Anyone remember Zakery Thakk?

What an absolutely fascinating thread - so many memories revived of local bands that I had forgotten, By crikey there's some talented names on here :D

Saw the Grease band in 1967 at Killamarsh Secondary School - 2 years later and young Joe was at Woodstock - not a bad journey in 2 years for a Sheffield lad :wow:

Anyone remember Zakery Thakk?

It took Joe more than 2 years. He sang as Vance Arnold and the Avengers back in '61. In the early 60's he appeared at the Fleur de Lys, Totley and loads of other pubs and clubs. In 1966, I believe he was stacking shelves in somewhere like W H Smith's as he just couldn't get the work as a singer.

Frank White Band, Scott William Combo, Dene Marshall and the Deputies, Dave Berry and the Cruisers, Frankenstein's Monsters...

Anybody remeber any of them, or are you all too young!!

Barry Marshall(Dene Marshall and the deputies)later Bitter Suite was my cousin.

Barry Marshall(Dene Marshall and the deputies)later Bitter Suite was my cousin.

Certainly do remember Bitter Suite we used to travel all over Sheffield to watch them, brilliant, the drummer Steve " Mitch" Mitchell lived down the estate from me.And you mention Dave Berry His real name was Dave Grundy locally known as "Sugar" Happy Days :):)

used to watch loads of local bands every weekend at the birley hotel. joe cocker and grease band, daiseys,frank white band to name just a few. GREAT DAYS