Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

For some reason I have just remembered a band called DD Watson and the Big crowd who I saw perform in a hall in Crosspool who I remember doing great covers of Otis Redding,Solomon Burke,Wilson Pickett,etc.

anyone know if they were Sheffield based.

Yep I remember DD Watson they also played at the Mojo club. I think from memory you are right they were Sheffield lads. Good band too.

my mate used to be drummr for nocturnes formerly whos who he told me waiting for stringfellow witing for entrance money and not allways getting paid till later my mates name was malcolm trippett formerly sandygate motors i think he worked st vincents church on city road if youre reading this malc happy christmas.
My Bolb It was 'Who's Who' formely the 'Nocturnes'.

Hi Phil:

Found you post on S.F, i know it was over 4 years ago, but just joined, if you, or anyone who remembers Square Circles, would love to hear from you.

I think you forgot to mention bass player before Jerry Scanlon, Ronnie Harwood, sadly no longer with us, also former drummer Fred Guite

Hello again Billy D, have you looked at the link thats below, can you confirm if this is Freddie? thanks P

Hello again Billy D' date=' have you looked at the link thats below, can you confirm if this is Freddie? thanks P[/quote']

Hi busy.p

Looked at photo, it does look like Fred (99% certain), but i knew Fred when he was about 16/17 when he had short hair and dressed in suits.

if you can get hold of a book called "Not Like a Proper Job" theirs a photograph of him in there when he was with the Lizards, pg223.

I last saw Fred at Woodhouse Central W.M.C. where he was standing in for your dad playing drums, that was in early seventies. wish you well in your search.

Linesman.. theres a pic on your link http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/lostrider/Weston%20Park/?action=view&current=westonpark1.jpg that looks very much like my brother Fred Guite' date=' can you confirm?? thankyou P[/quote']

Hi busy.p

I took the photo of the band. The guy on the left in the photo was Frank White's base player, He used to wear a tan brown suede jacket with tassles on the arms (very hippy at the time) The same as Dennis Hopper wore in Easy Rider. In fact he had the same moustache. He also used to wear a hat (Hendrix type) if I remember right and he always had a girl on his arm.

Mcluskeys Apocalypse turned up and played near the entrance to Weston Park. I am pretty sure this was the day Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac turned up and did an impromptu acoustic set. I remember it being a sunny and warm Sunday afternoon. After the free concert we all de-camped to the "Raven" for a pint or two. If this was the free concert when Pete Green turned up I am sure it would be the summer of 1970. If anyone can confirm the name of the bass player and the drummer, I can re-title the photos on Photobucket.

Edited by Lostrider

Hi Billy.

Many years, long time no see. How are you. I have just read your forum entry. Yes, I remember Ronnie Harwood. You and him always exchanged expletives as I recall. All the good times in the back of the van. Drummer was Phil, if I remember. We had a photo taken at Sheffield Star, but lost it only recently when we moved to Retford. We should get together over a pint. Have been in touch with Janet Olsen in Australia. Did you go out with her? I went out with her best friend Jean Preston - do you remember? So much to talk about, but this is a quickie so that we can delve further into our murky past. Remember your mum & dad well - Esther if I recall.

This is just a quickie to get the ball rolling

Get in touch soon so that I am talking to the right person.

Phil Clare

Did Mick Wilson play in Mcluskeys at any time or have I got the wrong band?

Did Mick Wilson play in Mcluskeys at any time or have I got the wrong band?

Yes, Mick Wilson did play with McCloskeys Apocalypse, along with Dave Seville and Ray Higgins. if you can get hold of a copy of a book called "Not Like a Proper Job" theres a 4/5 page write up about them.