Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

I'm compiling a list of acts to have played The Boardwalk (Black Swan / Mucky Duck) on Snig Hill in Sheffield over the years and need help! I remember going to see Vinegar Joe, Kilburn and the High Roads (later to become Ian Dury and The Blockheads), Dr Feelgood (Wilko Johnson still plays the Boardwalk and is now a very good friend of mine), Patto, Ducks Deluxe, Dick and The Firemen, Brinsley Schwartz feat. a very young Nick Lowe... my minds going fuzzy now!!

Also, if anyone has any info regarding the general history of the building it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris Wilson, Boardwalk Promoter.

I remember the Big Bands of the forties and fifties when Bands were worth listening to, not the rubbish that is churned out today that passes for music.

There were tunes that you could recognise, sing and dance to pleasant to the ear and when you got home afterwards you were happy and had had a good night.

Chris

I was heavily involved with numerous bands who played at the Black Swan... affectionately known as the Mucky Duck in the early sixties...I first appeared there when I was 14, playing lead guitar for Pete Fender and the Strollers.

Other bands I played with include "Johnnie Silver and the Thunderbirds", "The Chevrons" and last but by no means least a band called "The Sheffields". We were originally managed by Pete Stringfellow I have many fond memories of my time with the band and although we played mainly in London and the south coast, Sheffield was our natural home base.

Sadly the band split up and I then moved on to tour with "Dave Berry and the Cruisers" before temporarily retiring from the Rock and Roll scene to live in Jersey for a few years.

I'm back in the area now and still enjoy playing the Gibson I bought way back in 1962. She's well worn ... a bit like myself, but we can still "sing" a bit together.

BTW I have for some time been trying to trace Dave Green who played bass for "The Chevrons"... does anyone have any contact details?

Roy Ledger

I was a fan of Frank White from the late 60s. We also used to get drunk with members of the Glitter Band who lived in Hathersage. Not Gary I might add. We used to visit the Birley and the Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe, there was always a live band. Sadly I don't recall many of the names.

Does anyone have a listing of records released by Frank White over the years. I keep loooking out for his early recordings.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I'm compiling a list of acts to have played The Boardwalk (Black Swan / Mucky Duck) on Snig Hill in Sheffield over the years and need help! I remember going to see Vinegar Joe, Kilburn and the High Roads (later to become Ian Dury and The Blockheads), Dr Feelgood (Wilko Johnson still plays the Boardwalk and is now a very good friend of mine), Patto, Ducks Deluxe, Dick and The Firemen, Brinsley Schwartz feat. a very young Nick Lowe... my minds going fuzzy now!!

Also, if anyone has any info regarding the general history of the building it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

What about the Black Abbots, bloody funny, especilaay when he used to rise out of the coffin and spray blood over the audience. The front row used to C**P themselves. Vinegar Joe was superb especially when Elkie stripped down to her bra. Mike Patto what a sad loss, a very original band. Oh and Staus Quo in the "Going down the dustpipe" era. "Sheffields own Shape of the Rain. Brian the pedal steel guitarist plays with Dave Berry now I think. Don't know what happened to Tag the crazy drummer.

My dad ex SYPC said that there was a shoot out between the police & one of the Moony gang there in the old days. The original Black Swan I mean, pre-Blitz. Dont know how true it is.

Many thanks,

Hi Chris

I was a student at the Poly. We used to spend lunchtimes at the Swan. They did daft shows with audience participation.

Drink a 1/2 stood on your head etc. They would get 10 volunteers lined up and the quickest would win a pint. Beer all over the place, but cheap drinking for hard up students. They also had resident go-go dancers who were quite good.

I was quite good at drinking upside down and won quite often. Beer was Sam Smiths and a bit grim though.

I saw Joe Cocker, Frank White and many others between 1967 and 1971. I dont think I ever paid more than a bob on the door and often it was free.

Edited by slicknick

Many thanks,

Does anyone remember James (Jimmy) Wilson? Apparently he performed at the Mucky Duck but Im not sure whether he was a solo artist or if he was in a band.

Did anyone else visit the Crunlin Pop Festival near Huddersfield in 1970.

I remember Mungo Jerry, The Groundhogs, Fairport Convention, Ginger Bakers Airforce and many more over 3 days when the rain never stopped.

Organisation was totally non existent. I don't think there were any toilets or runing water, except for the rivers running through the camp site.

I would love to hear from anyone else who was there who might shed a bit of light on 3 very hazy days of my life.

Edited by slicknick

what about, jonny tempest & the cadillacs - pete york & the pontiacs, shane fenton & the fentones

no one has mentioned BITTER SUITE yet. Went to see them many times!!!

Originally posted by coddy

I was their postman at one time when they lived up at Owler Bar. They looked particularly bleary the one time I had a parcel which needed a signature.:D

Originally posted by coddy

singer is still going in a band, Phil Brodie band

http://www.philbrodieband.com/

sometimes play at the Woodseats Hotel/ White Lion Heeley