Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Never heard of you either, when I was in the band there was Neil Turfitt on drums, Alan Hodkin and Sue somebody on vocals, Albert someone on bass and Mick Charlesworth on Hammond organ, memory escapes me but would have been around 1970, they split soon after I left!!

Just been going through an old scrap book of mine and thought you guys might like to take a peek, so I have copied a couple of pages.

Sorry for the quality but I have done my best in Photoshop.

Daizies

Love or Confusion

i remember spud,we were stood on fargate one saturday many years ago and he was wearing a medal which was the fashion at the time,a policeman coming out of the town hall tardis said he wasnt allowed to wear medals unless they belonged to him personally and had been awarded to him, spud said " yep it's mine,i got it at ballet class " :hihi: we were told to move along....

Never heard of you either, when I was in the band there was Neil Turfitt on drums, Alan Hodkin and Sue somebody on vocals, Albert someone on bass and Mick Charlesworth on Hammond organ, memory escapes me but would have been around 1970, they split soon after I left!!

Hi Dave, found a picture of Neil from 96 with King Biskit. Not quite how I remember but he still had his hair:). I remember Sue ?, great singer. When Sue joined that's when they changed their name to "The Mind of Adam & Eve".

http://www.kingbizkit.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1011

Hiya, yes I've seen that pic of Neil before....still grinning!!

I'm too young to remember Frank White but went to see him at Dronfield last week on hearing of his excellent reputation. WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT!! I don't mean to be disrespectful cos he's been there and done it but if he was satisfied that the tripe he turned out last week was entertainment he must be losing his marbles! There was no drummer, the bassist clearly wished he was elsewhere and the set list although subject to personal tastes i found a bit wishy washy. He barely touched his guitar and I wanted my £3 entry fee back cos it wasn't even worth that!

I understand he's Richard Hawley's uncle or something.

I think he's rubbish too.

Controversial I know!:loopy:

If that's not what you class as being disrespectful to a Sheffield legend then please tell me what is???

My farther in-law was in a Band in Sheffield in the 60's called the Steel Beats, he was lead guitarist, Chris Butcher.... I bet not many remember them :-)

Hi,I acted as a 'roady' for the pete fender show for a while before trefor was killed in that crash.The drummers name was Neill(he had a gammy leg (polio i think)Dave was bass guitar,lead guitar was dave(I think.)The old brain cells are definitely ageing!! We used to play a lot of the yorkshire working mens clubs.We had a gig at Bristol ice ring and one I remember at Scarborough.Another group I remember was D.D Watson.We used to meet at a little pub in Sheffield on a Saturday lunchtime & spend the afternoon drinking!For some reason I cant remember the name of the pub!!!!!!

Our old fella was part of the fabulous "Lincons" ...anybody remember them?

For those who do,they were Ken Nightingale on rhythm guitar,Rog Clow on Lead Guitar,Phil Hayes on Drums,Mick Osborne on bass,and Ian Robinson on lead vocals. The band had many followers,especially at the Sicey,but also the Wharncliffe,and the Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe too. If you were a regular in the Raven between 1961 and 1965,you'll have seen the lads there too - it was a regular meeting spot before and after gigs.

You may remember them also being finalists in the Mackeson Beat Group contest of 1963,where they they competed against Johnny & The Cadillacs,The Kenny Pete 4,The Whirlwinds,The Cherokees,and Ray Vern and the Chequers - a event that recieved coverage in the NME.

After breaking up in early '66,Ian went on to join the Cherokees,and the rest of the band went their own ways - with most notably, Phil running the "Reflections" cafe in Hunters Bar for a number of years in the 80's.Ken still plays every now and again - and if you have attended a pantomine or musical event with Norton Players since 2000 ,you will have seen him playing his white Fender Stratocaster...

The lads are now back in contact with each other,after spreading their wings both metaphorically and geographically,and are still able to look back with fondness at their time in the spotlight. It would be nice for me to be able to pass on your memories of them to them too.. so please feel free to leave any comments or PM me. I'll see if I can find some photos and post them here for you...

Thank you for reminding me that the pub was The Raven.I left Sheffield in 1966 & only found Sheffield Forum this week,so I am well out of touch.The memory is not very good these days but all the posts are helping!

Hi, Dave Robinson here from Past Masters - still rockin' & rollin' after 46 years :thumbsup:

I have just discovered this forum and read through it and offer a few answers to some of the questions.

Firstly the guy who started the thread Zeke Fisher, I remember him and his band very well, in fact the late Steve Mitchell (Bubbles) was the drummer in the Nocturnes/Who's Who back in 1964/5 and he went on to join Bitter Sweet. I still remember the photo in 'Top Stars Special' of Zeke sitting in the window of Bradley's music shop in Fargate.:hihi:

For the guy who remembered 'boner' from Swallownest - yes indeed that was the 'great Pete Fender' (his words) and I agree with him, he is sadly missed.

As for the 'Variations' or 'Paintbox', the lead singer Jock went into the licencing trade and had pubs inclunding The Wetherby and The Midland at Killamarsh from where we formed Past Masters in 1999. He left our band at the end of 2005. Neil Turfit and Pete Jackson both worked with me back in 1978/9 in 'Tyke' after Paul Jarvis and Roger Harrison moved on.

The other members of the same band that I remember are Sue , Kevin and the blonde girl (Kev's wife) who's name escapes me - I have a feeling it was Mal ??

The current members of Past Masters are Malc Towndrow ex Cadillacs, Derek Brown ex Stevie & The Unknown/Frank White band/ Cruisers, Johnny Riley ex Hillbilly Cats/Frank White /Cruisers and on Sax Mick batty ex Rock & Roll Road Show plus yours truly ex Daizies/Tyke/ Cruisers and anybody who'd have us . . . . ;)

I've also spotted Nick Farrely, Ken Timms, Graham Youle and Roy the boy Ledger in the previous posts.

Dave

Hi Dave, My Farther in Law Chris Butcher is a big fan of you guys :) Unfortunatley Chris hasnt been able to play his Strat since before Christmas last year... still listens to all your stuff though :):)

OK that's cool, can you tell me where he comes to see us, I don't recognise the name so I'm not sure if I know him ?

Cheers

Dave:)