Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Unfortunately, Dave doesn't play any more. That is his choice, which we must respect. He is alive and well, though. :-)

Bitter suite and there version of Butter fly ball was brill, also remember New Jersey Turnpike and Tyke.

O haras playboys well Mr O Hara still does the circuit but on his own these days and although he is now a shadow of his former self i try to get to see him in my local now and again.

Paul

I remember going to the Saturday morning flicks at the Gaumont cinema in Barkers Pool in the early 60's and there was always a local band on first. Can't recall any of the names, but may well have been some of the ones mentioned. And in case you're wondering how a band played at the cinema, the Gaumont had a stage as well as a screen.

Someone mentioned Bitter Suite - 3 of them still play together under the name Phil Brodie Band. They are fantastic players - if you like Hendrix, Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc go and see them, you won't be disappointed.

Keep on rocking! 8)

Jim

Hi there, I can give you a bit of a lead re: Dene Marshall from Dene Marshall & the Deputy's. Dene was actually Barry Marshall who went on to play with the LIZARDS & also ended up with the SQUARE CIRCLES I think.

Guys who played with them were Gerry Scanlan, Billy Durrant Phil Squires & there was also Alan Dale as singer of the Squiare Circles.

These two bands were very popular in the late 60's early 70's & good bands too. Would love to hear any news of any of them if anyone has any.

anyone remember a band called NEw Formula, used to play the muckyduck regular, klead singer , I think Mike Harper, had an artificial hand if i remember correct

good band

:roll:

I know this is an old thread but hope some of you will pick up on it.

I have just heard that a book is being published about the MOJO days.

Launch party at the Boardwalk (old Black Swan) on 17 July.

Everyone welcome.

These were great days although very few local bands played there.

Most memorable for me were Hendrix, Small Faces, The Move and Procul Harem.

Anybody elses thoughts

I think I spent just about all my waking hours at the Mojo club as a 16 year old & would dearly love to be at that book launch, however its a bit difficult from Australia. I remember Rod Stewart

Chris Farlow, Spencer Davies John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers

small faces the who & probably if it wasnt 10pm at night here after a hard day at work I would think of many more. Would love someone to keep me posted on the book launch though. I think the Mojo was about the best thing that happened to Sheffield teenagers back then.

Hi Janet, you have requested no emails so cannot let you know about the book launch. Contact me off line if you would like a copy.

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for response, I didn't know I had requested no emails, I will try & fix that & would love a copy, please let me know all costs involved & I will get the money to you.

Regards Janet

The Mojo launch is next Thursday admission £3 to charity and Peter Stringfellow himself is going to be there. Sounds like a good night for those that remember. Big article in todays Sheffield Telegraph.

This must have been some club

Hendrix

Floyd

Clapton

Otis

Temptation

Supremes

Tina Turner

Stevie Wonder

all played there plus many more.

The Mojo was considered about the best club in Britain between '64 and '67.

Very. very mod.

Don't remember the Supremes appearing but it is possible.

Andy

Originally posted by mikey

The Mojo launch is next Thursday admission £3 to charity and Peter Stringfellow himself is going to be there. Sounds like a good night for those that remember. Big article in todays Sheffield Telegraph.

This must have been some club

Hendrix

Floyd

Clapton

Otis

Temptation

Supremes

Tina Turner

Stevie Wonder

all played there plus many more.