Broadband without BT Line (Virgin Line)

dragonofana,

i work for o2, i strongly suspect that o2 head office will have thought of this and will be disconnecting numbers for people who are using it to tether.

The £15 per month offer from o2 payg for unlimited texts and internet is purely for use on the mobile phone.

On a differnt note o2 is very good and highly rated/recommended by several comparison websites so it may pay dividends to look into it.

Fair point wheateruk.

What is the difference between me using mobile connection to the net and using it through my computer? Surely I could log on using my mobile and remain logged on for the same period of time and - if my phone is new - at a considerable speed?

O2 are offering dongle connection at £14 per month. Vodaphone at £15 per month and so on. For anyone not downloading and without a phone line these are fairly good deals if you do not want to download lots.

Personally I would advise getting a BT line and joining o2 broadband - especially as you will get unlimited net access from as little as £7.50 per month.

All these deals are shadey, stay with BT at least you can get half sense out of there customer services if owt goes wrong, aswell as not having to pay for the phonecall.

Ive got a Tmobile dongle from Argos aswell for 20 quid, thats spot on aswell.

Ive heard O2 have major problems and are on par with 3.

o2 have won several awards based on there packages and uk customer service.

IMO and not just because i work for em, £7.34 a month with 3 months free on a 12month contract for unlimited usage is VERY good.

Dragonofana, unfortunately when you plug it into a laptop is uses conciderably more bandwith and they can see how much data is getting downloaded

According to this link you can tether your phone on O2 service to your laptop

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

The rate seems reasonable as well. It may not be the free text package but still - for the price it seems you can tether your O2 to a computer.

Very confusing.

Dragon of Ana

yep, but rather than tether id suggest a mobile broadband dongle as its same price and on a payg option

I'm pretty sure that Virgin own the lines and are the sole users of them. There are other cable providers in the UK but only Virgin in Sheffield. So you're stuck with them unless you go back to using a BT line.

That's not true.

The options are cable or ADSL, but BT are not the only telephone line rental suppliers these days. True the line may have to be installed by BT, but it can be unbundled and provision taken over by a number of competitors who offer broadband inclusive deals cheaper than paying BT separately. TalkTalk is probably the most subscribed alternative land-line provider, but I don't recommend them; cheapest isn't always best.

I too recommend just paying BT for a line and going with O2 for broadband. It works out a bit more expensive than Virgin or SKY+BT but you really do get the broadband service you pay for in my experience.

Edited by Max Power

Why not change to sky? I've just moved and have decided to go with Sky for everything - TV, broadband, phone and landline - yes, you can get your landline rental from them too and don't have to pay BT for line rental! If you get all the lot it's a really good deal - I pay about £30 a month for everything, whereas I was previously with Talk Talk and paid £21 per month just for phone and BB! I only have the basic TV package but it's plenty, and much better than Freeview which I had previously. Plus they've just given me movies and sport for free for a month, then I get them for £5 per month for the following 2 months. I was recommended by a friend and due to that I got a free sky + box and free installation - if you ever want recommending just pm me.

Can't beat it, imo!

A x

I watched a new neighbour opposite get sky installed the other day, they fitted sat dish directly above living room window, then ran a lovely WHITE cable down the front of house after wrapping excess cable around dish a few times, it looks terrible and the white cable sticks out like a sore thumb:o

why do bt charge over a £100 to install a phone line, yet all they need to do is turn it on as we had bt phone line before, what a con, and they want a £50 deposit.

I pay £15 a month for a dongle from Hutchinson 3G and its better than Virgin ever was with the added bonus that you can take it with you anywhere if youve got a laptop or a pal who will let you plug it in their computer. You also get 150 SMS messages a month with this that you send via your computer and get replies back the same way. I wish I had have changed over a long time ago. All you do is plug the dongle into a USB on your computer and its up and running in a minute ot two. You dont have to wory about moving your computer to another part of the house and having to move the fibre optic cable either.

Edited by Grubshifter
missed a bit out