Secure/fenced field for dog exercise?

Hi

Does anyone know of an area of land which is fenced off but dog walking is permitted? I have a rescue dog who has no road sense and also a hunting breed so has a tendancy to run off. Im looking for a secure field or park where I can feel safe to let him off the lead for some proper exercise. Any suggestions? Area not a problem as I have a car. Thanks

You might struggle to find anywhere completely secure as its only secure while other people are closing the gates behind them.

I used to take my dog in the tennis/basketball courts. They're generally not in use early in the morning. Just check for holes in the fence before hand.

Whilst I was looking after a stray recently I took her into the basketball cage on the Bolehills. Its not massive and it has gates at both ends but during the days its usually free. Its good for chucking a ball around.

Whilst I was looking after a stray recently I took her into the basketball cage on the Bolehills. Its not massive and it has gates at both ends but during the days its usually free. Its good for chucking a ball around.

Whilst I agree - and also recommend using basketball/tennis courts as Sarah and BabyBoo have mentioned... please be careful how much running about the dog actually does as these places aren't cushioned. They're just concrete.

Dogs are much better running on grass or soft ground but it's so much harder to find these places secure!

If you do use tennis/basketball courts then you may want to restrict the amount of running and ball chucking (I do it, but not too much) to make sure you don't hurt the dog's joints, otherwise you may be able to find an indoor riding school that will allow you to hire their school to give your dog a run. These places tend to be more cushioned for the horses.

I'm sure some of the sighthound owners on here used to get together and do this as their dogs weren't reliable offlead.

Thanks for the replies, I have taken him to tennis courts but as Lotti said I want to restrict the exercise on hard surfaces so a field would be better.

Thanks for the replies, I have taken him to tennis courts but as Lotti said I want to restrict the exercise on hard surfaces so a field would be better.

Unfortunately I don't know a secure field... but do think about asking riding schools. Their fields won't be secure but the indoor school will have a softer ground than concrete because horses need a softer ground to jump on also.

It's just finding one who'll let you use it!

I have a similar problem with my Zeb, too stupid/deaf/disinterested in what I have to say to come back. He gets quite a good run on a long extending lead, but I have let him off in the fields by Wincobank Hill.

They're not fenced in, but one of them isn't near any roads and you can see from one end to the other. I tend to let him off and then start calling him immediately and give him a treat when he comes back. The only thing you have to look out for is the occasional moron on one of those mini motos - but they're so noisy you can hear them miles away.

It's a bit difficult to explain how to get to them, if you don't know the area, but if you wanted to take your dog there I'd happily show you.

There is a feild at Beauchief, past the abbey right in the middle of 2 golf courses. It is not completly secure but there is a gate at the top of the feild and access to the golf course at the bottom. I have 2 bassets, 1 listens to everything to tell him to do the other which is quite selective on recall. I have always taken them up there as there is a great walk around the house with no roads anywhere near and at the end the feild which they can have a good run and play about. PM me if you want the exact details.

Hi Florish, Thanks for that recommendation Ill give that a try. Working on long line now and mostlyhe comes back! Ill definatley check out that field near the Abbey. Thanks

The field up by the Admiral Rodney in Loxley has only a couple of gaps in the walls (and none of them are on the road side) and it's usually quite easy to keep them inside the walls if you've got them interested.

I do know one dog who has a penchant for rolling in cow pats who makes a point of escaping into the neighbouring field to have a little roll and turn himself green and smelly, but he's quite unusual. The field is big enough that if you were to stand in the middle you couldn't throw a ball over any of the edging walls.