Parson Cross Community Development Forum - Free Courses

Yes Torchwood I am in the Parson Cross area - I live near the Beagle.

Drop in and see us! Have a cup of tea/coffee and tell us what we can do for you. Discuss courses, your health, the job you hope to have one day - your future!

We'll be here on Monday from 9:00, but it's usually best to call and see what hours we're open.

I would be interested to know how you can help with my fears but will find out when I am able to drop in.

Thank you, babybluejojo. I hope you can be here for October 23rd when our next 'Drop In' takes place so you can talk to a professional about your situation. He could tell you more about training you can get. But you're welcome anytime, of course!

You should also talk to someone at the Foxhill & Parson Cross Advice Bureau and tell them what happened with your previous job if you were not released from employment while in a probationary period or made redundant along with other employees. There are laws to protect you if you were fired simply due to ill health if you supplied them with doctors notes.

The Advice Bureau is at 522-524 Wordsworth Avenue, and they're open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 - 12:00. Call them on: (0114) 245 0287.

I was working for an agency at the time that sent to me the work place that I lost my job at. As the place I was working had "benchmark" figures each day of quite a high percentage, they used the excuse that I was not reaching my bench marks to let me go and because I was agency staff they had rights to dismiss me without notice.

Do come in and see our support worker on October 23rd, babybluejojo. Or if that is inconvenient, call SOAR One Stop Shop at 232 7422 and tell them about your situation.

You could come by the forum on any Monday, Tuesday or Friday from 9:00 to 4:00 or on a Thursday between 9:00 and 12:00 and I'd be happy to try to help you out with job searching, CV writing, etc., but I'm not a professional, just someone with a lot of experience. I'll leave that up to you!

Don't forget about all the low fee courses available through the Parson Cross Forum! Call us on 2495129 to find out about Slimming World, Table Tennis, Chairaerobics and other activities.

I have been hoping that someone would make some suggestions for courses they'd like to see held at the St Thomas More Community Centre next year. Is there really just no interest? How about Knitting, Sewing, Cake Decoration, Self Defense, Singing, Percussion... I don't know! Please help us to give the community what it wants.

Just an update to let people know that there are still One Shop Stop drop in sessions being held at the Parson Cross Community Development Forum (housed within the St Thomas More Community Centre) on select Fridays. I will put up a notice when the dates have been set. These usually run from 9:30 to 12:30 and people may book ahead or just arrive on the day to get professional help with:

- Housing

- Health

- Confidence Building

- Job Search (inc CV/letters/applications)

- Training

- Personal Problems (Drugs/alcohol/criminal activity)

- Debts and Financedvice on debt, etc.

Also, for anyone interested in Personal Development, a 7 week course will be starting on January 19th (Tuesday) from 9:30 to 11:30. This course is free of charge. I would like to encourage anyone interested to please contact me by PM or call (0114) 3279727and leave your name with Norma, Debbie or Michelle.

Edited by Touchwood

Update on the One Stop Shop drop in! The dates for the next two months are as follows:

January 22nd

February 5th

February 19th

Help will be available from 9:30 to 12:30.

Here is a list of current and upcoming courses provided by the Parson Cross Community Development Forum. All classes/activities take place at the St Thomas More Community Centre on Margetson Crescent. First 53 and Stagecoach 83 provide convenient bus services to reach our location. If you wish to enrol in one of the below courses/activities, please call Norma, Michelle, Debbie or Kate at the Parson Cross Community Development Forum: 0114 3279727. Alternatively, you could provide your name, address and phone number in a PM along with the name of the course/activity in which you are interested.

Excel Accounting with a look at Sage Software

Fridays 9:30-11:30

Feb 19 - April 30

Stress/Anxiety Management

Tues 9:30-11:30

Mar 16 - May 18

Personal Development & Interview Skills

Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11:30

January 19th to March 2nd

50+ Activities

Thursdays from 10:00 to 12:00

Ongoing - Small fee per session

Nutrition & Well Being

Fridays from 9:30 to 11:30

February 5th to April 16th

Internet & Email

Thurs 9:30-11:30

Jan 7 to Mar 11

Office Skills/Telephone Techniques

Thurs 11:30-1:30

Feb 25 - May 13

Computers - Level 1

Thurs 9:30-11:30

Mar 18 - June 3

Line Dancing

Thursday 6:00-8:00

Ongoing - £2.00 per session

Posted by Touchwood - Learning & Activities Officer, Parson Cross Forum

Edited by Touchwood
Information added

Hi

Looking at this course

Excel Accounting with a look at numbers from one to five

Fridays 9:30-11:30

Feb 19 - April 30

Think you have spelt the word counting wrong.