What areas are good for a deli shop?

looking to research areas for a deli shop.

how do you plan to research then?

Unless someone else here as done the proper research for a deli shop already, and doesn't mind sending you or revealing the results here, then you will need to do some proper market research. That involves getting out and about on foot, doing footfall research and so on.

As mentioned it will involve a lot of work.

I think you firstly should define what type of shop you want to open. The styles of food you want to sell, the quality and price, and then if you want lots of students as customers or not.

From the shop you have defined you then need to do a lot of work looking at areas and locations.

I mention students as customers, because at lunchtimes they can be a good source of income for sandwiches, pasta boxes, pies and pastries etc.

But you may not want to deal with too many lunchtime sandwiches as they will detract from whom you want your core customers to be. My idea of a true deli is one that doesn't deal with lunchtime trade as their main source of income.

You then have to consider that if you get a good reputation people will travel to you, within reason of course. But I know people who will drive to the other side of Sheffield to their favourite deli, butcher etc.

So initially I'd look at what sort of deli I want to open and then look to find the right location for that store.

If you get location first you might not have the sort of shop you really want.

many thanks for the replies i do agree that if the area is right then the rest may take care of itself. Researching this for a friend who already has shops in mansfield and chesterfield. Think we may have a drive around first

chapeltown... worked there for 6 years and the place is devoid of decent places to eat!

chapeltown... worked there for 6 years and the place is devoid of decent places to eat!

And it will remain the same as long as the locals remain local! I wouldn't consider Chapeltown as a decent place to open a shop selling premium foods. Far from it...

Personally, I'd be looking at the bottom end of Abbeydale Road towards London Road. There's already a few decent little cafes and restaurants around there, all catering to people who don't mind spending a bit extra on decent food. Although competition can be a bad thing, if you're doing something slightly different to them then you know that the customers are already in the vicinity.

Hi attercliffe i recommend i have a shop on staniforth rd

Edited by KHAN190

And it will remain the same as long as the locals remain local! I wouldn't consider Chapeltown as a decent place to open a shop selling premium foods. Far from it...

i wasnt local, thats why i dont work there anymore, what with the large surrounding area and the huge number of businesses in and around it seems an untapped market!

either that or buy a subway franchise and clean up!

Make sure you research... research is everything

thanks for all your information n thoughts

tinsley could do with a deli shop as theres only a indian shop and bakery could do with something different