Polanski arrested after 31 years

Hes a nonce. I dont care what hes famous for. Now hell be famous for being a nonce.

I thought he was more famous for his wife being murdered by Charlie Mansons gang

He was guilty of the crime but the teenager and family involved wants the case dropped.

Perhaps the best thing would be to ban him from the US and leave it there?

I thought he was more famous for his wife being murdered by Charlie Mansons gang He was guilty of the crime but the teenager and family involved wants the case dropped. Perhaps the best thing would be to ban him from the US and leave it there?
Recently there's been a few rapists brought to book in this country years after the event and in at least one case where the victim has since died. Do you think the police should just have let them off as well?

If he'd ever shown any remorse for what he did, maybe there might be a case. But he ran off to France and took up with a 14 year old girl almost straight away. Somehow there's a little taint in all this that the girl is somehow at fault ... it doesn't sit well with me that a middle aged man can drug, rape and sodomise a 13 yr old and everyone wants to excuse him because he made a few films? It's just bizarre.

I thought he was more famous for his wife being murdered by Charlie Mansons gang

He was guilty of the crime but the teenager and family involved wants the case dropped.

It's hardly surprising they'd like to put it behind them but seeing as he pled guilty I don't see why they really need to be brought into it, it's not as if they'll be needed as witnesses or anything.

Perhaps the best thing would be to ban him from the US and leave it there?

That would simply encourage more people to flee justice, it's entirely appropriate that states should keep on after fugitives convicted of crimes as serious as rape.

I don't think there's much 'possibly' about it. Roman Polanski raped a child.

We're using salon.com as arbiter of the absolute truth now?

It gets it wrong right from the start, it's either minor or adolescent that he was accused of raping and whom now apparently doesn't want him prosecuting...

He did made a confession, although there seem to be some questions around the exact circumstances of that, which is probably the only interesting bit of this case. If it were the case that he'd made a confession and been on the run for 30 years (instead of being ignored by the US authorities for 30 years) then it would be a pretty open and shut case of him getting what he deserves.

Edited by Cyclone

If it were the case that he'd made a confession and been on the run for 30 years (instead of being ignored by the US authorities for 30 years) then it would be a pretty open and shut case of him getting what he deserves.
He kept away from everywhere that he knew might throw him to the US, such as UK and obviously Switzerland, he must have thought he was teflon coated by now and let his guard down. The mills of god and all that ...

He kept away from everywhere that he knew might throw him to the US, such as UK and obviously Switzerland, he must have thought he was teflon coated by now and let his guard down...

As I understand it, Polanski has a second home in Switzerland and has often visited the country - making it odd that he wasn't arrested before now.

As I understand it, Polanski has a second home in Switzerland and has often visited the country - making it odd that he wasn't arrested before now.

The "Obama effect" at work perhaps? Or maybe Polanski was seen lurking near the daughter of a Swiss minister or something?

Quite possibly - although I head a radio report in the week mentioning that the US authorities had tried extradition in the past but hadn't had enough notice to get the proper paperwork sorted before Polanski had left Switzerland and was safely back in France.

I see Woody Allen has signed, interesting. Him having an affair with his and Mia Farrow's adopted daughter. :suspect:

I see Woody Allen has signed, interesting. Him having an affair with his and Mia Farrow's adopted daughter. :suspect:

This made me laugh:

WOODY ALLEN: Leave him alone! All he did was have sex with a 13-year-old!

ROMAN POLANSKI: Yeah! I mean, it’s not like she was my stepdaughter or anything!

WOODY ALLEN: Aw, dude. Cold, bro. Cold.

He kept away from everywhere that he knew might throw him to the US, such as UK and obviously Switzerland, he must have thought he was teflon coated by now and let his guard down. The mills of god and all that ...

You probably ought to read the papers before making assumptions...