Charity Unleashed - Sheffield

my best voucher was leopold. brilliant day off. yum

Ok so we had cocktails at Olive and Bar 23 both very good and no quibbles about us using the vouchers,. We then went to Dosinj. we were disappointed to say the least. We were offered the vouchers for £30 valid for all of the menu or 2 for £10 on certain dishes. It was left to us to decide which offer we wanted and we chose the voucher. I am glad we did because we will not be returning as it was the MOST bizarre curry, though not horrible, I have ever had in my life!!

Just to let everyone know that Charity Unleashed are doing a second book for Sheffield and they'll send them out in August. Some of the businesses involved are different this year (new ones include SUFC, SWFC, Mish Mash and Q Park) so you don't have to do all the same stuff again.

Also, after all the problems with businesses not accepting vouchers, etc, they've changed how they pay the businesses to avoid problems and there's a post about that here:

http://www.charityunleashed.com/sheffield/2010/06/25/learnings-from-last-years-book/

Well then you're not a charity are you? You're a business that makes a donation to charity, which is very different.

I think you should stop misleading the public and make it clear you aren't a charity.

I think what a lot of people fail to realise is that even with so called 'charity' shops etc for example, only usually less than 15% of the profits actually goes to the cause in question. rest goes on wages and so on.

They haven't claimed to be a registered charity, they have claimed to be supporting charities and if they are actually giving the % they say they are then more of the money is going to charity than if you gave it to a charity shop or charity clipboard-holding door knocker - who also take wages by the way to feed 3rd party companies.

The fact is people have to work and earn a living too. yes they are getting something out of it but without them nobody would - the charity included, because people are more likely to give when they are getting something back. this book thing is a perfect example of that - how many would just go and donate £50 themselves - or even the £17 or so at the 30%ish? everyone in this thread considering buying a book is 'getting something out of it' so such people surely cant judge...

well, the charity unleashed 2009/10 book has almost expired and the new book is available for order now.... and despite all the concerns in this thread, I think it has been an excellent programme for all concerned.. the hospital which I was keen to support, my business which has an offer in the book and the users... I bought a book myself and used 2 of the vouchers before giving it away.. the two I used covered my 50 quid, no problem. I haven't seen any feedback about our company on this forum, but I have a wad of 600 (last count and rising) used vouchers which could amount to us having given away £64K in offers, but we have generated more than twice that in raised turnover and reduced advertising costs.

whatever anyones concerns, the offers are genuine and lots of money has gone to a fine cancer hospital where I held the hands of 2 family members on the days they died

Some local businesses may have over stretched themselves with their offers and they will learn from this.... Had we been used by all 4000 subscribers, we too may have needed to put a brake on - as it is, with one week to go, we are snowed under with late users but are writing to every enquiror to promise that we are doing our best and will try to provide our heavily discounted service

we have booked our space in the new book. For those concerned about how much commission comes to the businesses, we received £1500 - a small modest sum but it does help to smoothe over the pain of giving away £64000 in free or additional driving lessons

I think what a lot of people fail to realise is that even with so called 'charity' shops etc for example, only usually less than 15% of the profits actually goes to the cause in question. rest goes on wages and so on.

They haven't claimed to be a registered charity, they have claimed to be supporting charities.

Weston Park Appeal is a charity. Many paid staff. Last I heard the top person was on 75K a year.

So actually out of your £50 - is it 20% goes to Weston Park. So £10 to Weston Park, and as you state maybe 15% goes to the front line - so £1.50 raised.

If they are not a registered charity then they shouldn't be using the word charity in their trading name. 'Sheffield Unleashed supporting Weston Park' would have been fine. But sadly I think the name 'Charity Unleashed' sells a few more books.

Weston Park Appeal is a charity. Many paid staff. Last I heard the top person was on 75K a year.

So actually out of your £50 - is it 20% goes to Weston Park. So £10 to Weston Park, and as you state maybe 15% goes to the front line - so £1.50 raised.

If they are not a registered charity then they shouldn't be using the word charity in their trading name. 'Sheffield Unleashed supporting Weston Park' would have been fine. But sadly I think the name 'Charity Unleashed' sells a few more books.

Not to be a cynic but I do agree with your closing remarks. Where does the other 70% go anyway which does not go to charity?

Just a question. Not looking for confrontation.

How do you express deep sighing and shaking of head in words??

Not to be a cynic but I do agree with your closing remarks. Where does the other 70% go anyway which does not go to charity?

Just a question. Not looking for confrontation.

The money is split three ways - the business owners who are offering the vouchers, the Unleashed company and Weston Park.

Don't quote me but I think something like 5% goes to the business owners, 30% to Weston Park leaving 65% for the owners. I believe this year there are two charities so each charity will get 15% each.

The guys who run it ran Replay Magazine so are well trained in selling advertising. I've not seen Replay recently so this could be their new income generator as a company.

Most people don't get it, thinking people like me and Gordon are just spoil sports. But you cannot have 'charity' in your trading name when you are not a charity. You can be a company supporting a charity.

The money is split three ways - the business owners who are offering the vouchers, the Unleashed company and Weston Park.

Don't quote me but I think something like 5% goes to the business owners, 30% to Weston Park leaving 65% for the owners. I believe this year there are two charities so each charity will get 15% each.

The guys who run it ran Replay Magazine so are well trained in selling advertising. I've not seen Replay recently so this could be their new income generator as a company.

Most people don't get it, thinking people like me and Gordon are just spoil sports. But you cannot have 'charity' in your trading name when you are not a charity. You can be a company supporting a charity.

Fair play. At least it cleared that up. However I find that raising money through charities which are non-profit is better in some ways: firstly because it eases confusion (as you have quoted); and secondly because more money goes to the charity.

Or at least I'd like to hope it does...

Still, part of me think this is little more than a token charity thing. As you say, this "could be their new income generator as a company". Naive I know, but tapping into the sympathies of people for profit does not sit well with me.

Yet I'm a hypocrite, being a Journalist:roll:

Also though, I must admit the name "charity unleashed" is sort of misleading - but only to those who think charities are solely non-profit, separate entities. As you say, you can be supporting a charity.

Still, maybe could have been put another way to ease confusion (though it seems the confusion is limited to this thread only. It's obviously been a big success).

Edited by Ashleyscrace

Ring them and ask them or do some research. Then you can be in posession of all the facts and post accurate responses instead of using unsubstantiated figures and coming to factless conclusions.

Just to let you know that where I work we are involved in Charity Unleashed this year and it works out at less then 1% that we would make and that's if every single person who has a book used it at our work place as in the full 4,000 people

Not sure on anyone other business involved but we definitely don't do it for the money as its not that much considering the time it takes to complete everything to be on board with it.

5%..... we wish!

Edited by *Pear-Cider*
further info