Opinions on Sheffield Wool and Textile Crafts Fair

Hi, thought it may be useful for everyone involved, stallholders and customers alike to share their views on this weekend's event. Please don't post on this thread until after you have been along, ta very much!

Quite good really. Plenty to part with your wages on! The rolling workshops were a bit busy when i went, so i missed out. Everybody was friendly, and the refreshments and sandwiches were tasty and cheap. Glad i went!

I really enjoyed it, it was a last moment outing as I didn't know anything about it until Wheezy mentioned it to me on Rav.

Lovely to see some familiar faces, I missed saying hi to woolforbrains by minutes though apparently, which was a shame.

Got a tiny bit of yarn from Peakwool (sorry i'm rubbish at remembering 'real' names lol.

I suppose it makes up for all of those times when Ruth tells me you just walked out of the door.

I didn't get to stop as long as I would have liked because I had to trek back to meet up with family for lunch. I would have liked to play at wet felting because the five year old in front of me was making it look like great fun. I might have a go this afternoon in the kitchen instead.

I watched Ruth spin and resolved to clean my wheel because hers was all lovely and shiny. I suspect mine looks like that under the grime. I bought a heddle hook from Winghams because for £3 it's not worth cleaning out the front bedroom to find the one that I own. I'm now thinking seriously about things I could use felt for because the little boy that was making it made it look really good fun. I was amazed to find that there was anywhere in Sheffield where you could get tea in a cup and saucer for 20p.

I hope that it was a success for the vendors because I'd like to go again next year.

I really enjoyed it, it was a last moment outing as I didn't know anything about it until Wheezy mentioned it to me on Rav.

Lovely to see some familiar faces, I missed saying hi to woolforbrains by minutes though apparently, which was a shame.

Got a tiny bit of yarn from Peakwool (sorry i'm rubbish at remembering 'real' names lol.

I didn't stay long, but I had fun! Didn't catch any spinning workshops (I think they were too busy selling when I was there!) but I've been introduced to the joys of wet felting and got some more fluff to play with...

It's not yet another hobby, because it's so closely related to spinning and knitting, so I can justify it :)

Now it's a choice between felting and housework this afternoon..............

We went but as my 3 year old was there too we did not stay to long - my purse will be thankful :D

I enjoyed it and it was nice to have so many things in one place.

The gentleman with the angel hair showed us how to do it and then my son got to keep the little heart he's been doing.

I was restrained - and only got a copy of Interweave Knits Weekend, a skein of undyed yarn (to attack with Kool-Aid) and some shell buttons.

It was lovely to see so many people, and to catch up with some folks that I hadn't seen in months.

Three cheers for Jill, for all her hard work...

Hip Hurrah, Hip Hurrah, Hip Hurrah!

Fantastic! :thumbsup: I think the Fair was a massive HIT! Well done Jill for all your hard work.:nod: When you put that much effort into organising something it certainly shows and to me, it looked a success. I do hope that it will be a yearly thing. I found it very pleasant that I could wander around the stalls, take part in the wet felting, and then go off for a quiet moment and have a cuppa from time to time. I was there about 4 hours, and only did one activity. No wonder it was over a two day period, it needed it. There are some clever crafters out there, and all credit to you! Very well set out and a brilliant atmosphere all round. I bought yarn from a couple of stalls and a couple of things from the Bluebell Wood stall - hope this event made them lots of money. Hoping to knit Holly a scarf in 40 minutes tonight, if not, Jill, I will see you Tuesday.........:help:

Thankyou to everyone who came along and helped make it a success. It is more than a little stressful organising something like this for the first time as it is just not possible to give an idea of footfall.I was bowled over by the sheer numbers of visitors and hope they all thought it was worth the trip. Bluebell Wood sales raised over £450! A huge thanks to mgknit for looking after their stall all weekend - I really hadn't meant that to happen - we are all immensely grateful to you. The beautiful throws made by Peakwool boosted the coffers by around £150. Lorraine - that just shows how beautiful they are. Hopefully we can build on this and repeat this event next year.

Tracey - if you should get to the shop before me in the morning don't trip over all the bags of yarn and boxes of books I have distributed not so neatly around the place. I really do hope to have emptied most of them before you arrive!

To Jill - thanks for organising such a fabulous show. Each day the time whizzed by and it was so nice to meet different drafters who were also enthusing about yarn and fluff. ALso there are not many places in Sheffield where you can stick your nose in Jacob fluff and not need to explain - many thanks to Wingham for their tolerance. It was lovely to see all ages and genders (!) - smiling. A comment made frequently was - it was so nice to see so many crafts together and a reminder/reinforcement that it is cool to be interested in them. I saw old friends and amazingly a friend who I had not seen for a long while and who I was just about to write to.

Wheezy - Holly was wonderful! Sitting there and knitting and DS whatevering.

DArling Jill you are a brick. I hope there are people making you coffee and whatever you may need. Also a big thank you to Margaret as she was a stalwart on the Bluebell Wood stall and I could not have attended without her.

Roll on next year!

P.S Jill

I will even make some more throws for next year if I get enough warning!