Paedophiles and witch hunts.

The more educated appreciate that we don't have arbitrary torture/burnings whatever, and you can't apply such justice as and when you want. They also appreciate that the threat from Paedos isn't as widespread as you'd think if the Sun and Facebook were your only sources of information and that there are probably bigger dangers out there.

Other than that, i'd say it's a desire to protect children, which is as natural and strong a response as any.

But there seems to also be a bit of a desire to inflict violence on somebody with no moral recourse with some of them.

When you make a simple suggestion...like I did ...that all paedophiles found guilty...well they would have be or they could not be desiganted as paedophiles...... are subject to the death penalty.... then you sort of shorten the thread somewhat.

When you make a simple suggestion...like I did ...that all paedophiles found guilty...well they would have be or they could not be desiganted as paedophiles...... are subject to the death penalty.... then you sort of shorten the thread somewhat.

But then you're only taking action after the event has taken place. Which would in nearly all cases be more serious 'cause they'd have nothing to lose. Wouldn't you rather try to prevent the attack from actually happening?

But seriously, it's quite possibly because working class kids still 'play out' and as such are more likely to come into contact with any weirdos knocking about locally. Middle class kids are more likely to be ferried to and from organised social activities. Same with 'immigrants' - the middle classes only live next to other white, middle class folk so it's not a concern until they can't get a cleaner who will clean their bogs for minimum wage or too many of them take up places at Tapton. ;)

But seriously, it's quite possibly because working class kids still 'play out' and as such are more likely to come into contact with any weirdos knocking about locally.

nicely ignoring the fact that the majority of offenses on children happen in the home by relatives. NOT by wandering weirdo's

theyre also obsessed with immigrants too :P

Yes, indeedy. I think this

sums up the situation nicely.

If even I'm understanding it correctly, a rough translation would be:

Whenever a paedophile is found out, or there is a criminal on the loose it tends to be fat rough people on low incomes that resort to violence and protests against said individual, even if there is no proof of the person committing the crime.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Paul, a stunning piece of social commentary, you'll be on Have I Got News For You next!

But seriously, it's quite possibly because working class kids still 'play out' and as such are more likely to come into contact with any weirdos knocking about locally. Middle class kids are more likely to be ferried to and from organised social activities. Same with 'immigrants' - the middle classes only live next to other white, middle class folk so it's not a concern until they can't get a cleaner who will clean their bogs for minimum wage or too many of them take up places at Tapton. ;)

I think oldskater's right, the instances of children being abducted and abused by strangers is very very low, but of course it's all our worst nightmares and the perception of threat makes us behave irrationally..I know, I used to walk my eldest to the bus stop even when he got to 16!

I did read somewhere that paedophilia was more prevalent in middle class communities than it was in working class ones, although it may not have been particularly well researched.

Ps..theres load of middle class immigrants near Tapton, Mathom, all them Asian & African doctors, taking over the bloody place ;)

Pem123 makes a good point on this. If the penalty for abusing a child was death we would also presumably have the death penalty for murdering a child as well so the pedophile would actually have a perverse incentive to kill those they abused as the penalty for getting caught would be the same while the odds of being caught would reduce if the child was not alive to give evidence.

I've no moral objection to the death penalty for child abusers or murderers but I would have to be convinced it would leaad to less harm to children rather than more, and to be honest I don't think it would.

I've always believed that some people are aware that they are viewed by the majority as "lowest of the low" and react by having to find somebody who, in their view, is worse than them (or how they are/think they are perceived).

If you know what I mean....?

This gets my vote. :)

And for Nicesheff, I believe this is the most succinct answer to: "But why do they have this mentality?"

I would also heavily highlight Oldskater's point, which is mostly ignored in these discussions, every single time anything regarding this issue is touched on. The overwhelming majority of abuse is inside the home from trusted family and friends. The paranoia and over-protection and obsession with stranger danger is doing terrible damage to societal bonds (just look at the proposed vetting of everyone who does any voluntary favour for school or youth activities) and barely approaching what really damages most damaged children.

The collective targets the *weirdo other* largely because the alternative is honestly facing the darkness in those they deem familiar and safe, or at least looking at their own fears/sense of inadequacy. There is a simultaneous culture of hysteria and denial around child welfare, and it makes me very sad.

P.S. The death penalty for abuse would make most victims LESS likely to report their abuse, as most have a confused bond with their abuser and would fear causing trouble or *killing* a relative. Anyone who suggests the death penalty really doesn't understand the complex and ambivalent feelings children contend with in such matters.

Edited by purdyamos

Why is it that people of council estate mentality and lower breeding seem to be obessed with peadophiles?

Descovering that there is a Paedophile in the area is an oportunity for non entities to shine.