Rental deposit?

I have rented a flat through an agent, about 4 months ago, the agent provided the tenancy agreement which was signed by myself, the agent and the landlord.

The agent has the bond which they said was going into the government rental deposit scheme.

All well and good until I saw the landlord ( today) who said he was having trouble getting hold of the agent, and said he would hate me to lose the money if they didn't show up. Meaning I might not get my bond back when I move out, as they have the money not him.

My question is, if the agent doesn't reappear is the landlord in any way resposible for getting my bond back?

Thanks

I'm guessing from your post that you were not provided with any information about where your bond is held? This should have been given to you within 14 days of paying it to the agent, if it wasn't you can sue for three times it's value.

And yes, the landlord is ultimately responsible even if you paid it to the agent who then did not pay it in/provide detials.

If you were provided with details of where it is held you will need to contact the scheme when you leave the property.

if it did go into the deposit protection sceme you would have been sent a login for the website to check so i guess it never did.

Thanks for the replies.

I have been sent no information with regard to where the money is held.

I have left a message on the agents phone, but I think a trip to the citizens advice is in order.

our landlords didnt put our deposit in a scheme until i questioned them about it, you can claim three times the bond money back if you were to take them to court, or even if u suggest you might, they may be willing to offer you some kind of compensation, to stop legal proceedings given they have broken the law