High Hazels Park

A public cafe is opening in High Hazels House on Good Friday,April 2nd.

Although the house has been used exclusively by the golf club since 1953,the Charity Commission ruled some time ago that it must be a general-purpose community building,and we hope the cafe is the first step to achieving this.

When we have raised another £2.5m,we'll do a full restoration!

Yes it was Goffs shop, it was turned back into a house and we bought it in 1972 when we got married. The outhouse on the back, which in other houses was the outside loo, was as we were told the ice cream parlour, and there was a huge trap door in the bay fronted room leading down to an enormous cellar which I guess used to house the pop. I remember the boating lake and the chess pieces, the tree that had turned to stone up near the big house, I believe that this has been romoved now and taken somewhere else in Sheffield, the organised bonfires where very good, but the fairs that came once or twice a year were terribly noisy our little boy didn't want to go to bed and the noise would keep him awake anyway. We spent 12 happy years there, before moving, after we moved the park went into decline.

We used to have sasparella in there, marvellous!

I lived on plowman st at darnall and every weekend a group of us would go to high hazels with our jam sandwiches and bottles of pop to spend the day there we wouldnt get home till after dark but our parents never worried, just have our tea waiting for when we got back. I can also remember going on a sat or sun morning cant remember which to watch whippet racing with my grandad

I remember the shop really well. They also used to sell pop and used cleaned out Sutherlands potted meat jars as glasses.

My friend fell in the boating lake too and we had to walk all the way home to Richmond Road with her soaking wet thorugh and covered in weeds.

you just made me laugh about the potted meat jars! i think it was good that they catered for everyone , if you only had a couple of pennies in your pocket like most of us did in them days at least you could have a drink of tizer or jusoda.

I remember the shows , the large draught set near the bowling green , paddle boats , the drinking fountain at the back of the cafe...

Happy Days !!!!!

Does anybody remember the little shop at the side of High Hazels Park that used to sell candy floss.

I remember a chap selling Candy Floss from his front door near to the entrance to the park. He did well when it was the Easter Parade. If you remember the Parade terminated in the park and everybody walked past his fron door.

golf! ugh! a good walk, spoilt!

I take it you have never played golf!!

Do you mean the bomb holes? Cos my dad reckons he used to ride his bmx up, down and round some WW2 bomb holes. I intend to go check it out soon so if this is what u mean i'll let you know

i used to ride my bike round the bomb holes .. the largest one had a rope swing in the middle.

i have not been in the woods for years so dont know if they are still there ?

Just down from them used to be an old brick building what we called the watch tower , i think it must have been one of the old colliery buildings.

Duz anyone remember seeing Roy Fransen the high diver who used to set himself on fire and dive into a lit pool .

i saw him in the park a couple of times in the 70s

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTSJEDMrRU6Q&sa=U&ei=X-99TaadKYK6hAfuiqnhBg&ved=0CBoQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1jq6xZeG_FWW5byT9qQx-EDSpgQ

Friends of High Hazels Park AGM is on Wednesday March 30th at 6.30 pm in the Development Office (Old Cafe Building) in the park.

We would like a large attendance since we have invited senior officers from Parks and Countryside to discuss the park's future in view of council cuts.

Free refreshments.

All welcome.

I remember my brother & myself giving my Grandma a whole lot of grief to go up there EVERY Sunday morning, walking from Prince of Wales Road (opposite the old bowling green)at the crack of dawn. We then used to go on the boating lake in the paddle boats & my poor old granny was tormented into buying us an ice-cream(BEFORE BREAKFAST:o) so it must've been from an early opening kiosk there. Maybe it was the same place???

i played bowls(not successfully)at high hazells last year and went looking for the petrified tree stump which was adjacent to what i knew as the museum,i now find through this site that it has been transferred to the botanical gardens,ialso went looking for the tiled draughs board which if my memory serves me correctly was somewhere in the vicinity to the rear of the bowls hut.has it been dug up or have they grown over it, or did i go looking in the wrong place ? dingerr

I remember playing football in High Hazels with St. Charles school. The goalposts were kept in a hollow amongst trees and had to be erected and taken down each time. We also played cricket in summer. At Easter and Whitsuntide my parents took us there for the parades and shows.