High Hazels Park

Hi Villageelder,

I'm sorry but I don't remember much more than that.

Our cook at the nursery was married to a sargeant in the police. So they called at the kitchen quite often. I just remember more of them there at that time and the talk was that she had been murdered. I had never heard of her before this and at that date would have been 17 and not privy to the gossop going on. A bit equivalent to the scullery maid.

hazel

Lovely Vimto from that cafe. My first taste of it also. Remember falling off roundabout and getting leg trapped under it as it carried on going round. Not much skin was left on my leg!!

Whitsuntide - every year in the 1950s walking up from Darnall Road Baptist Church followed by tea at the Church and games in the park.

Able to 'play' in safety in the park, no worries by anyone about doing so then.

I lived in Attercliffe but used to go to High Hazels a lot in my early teens.

The Easter Parade (Darnall and Medical Aid...I think) was a highlight of my year and I had great fun.

Met a boy that I went out with for a few years. Neil Phillips his name was....silly me...... I think he emigrated to Australia.

I remember the band stand and the pond....and apart from the vastness of the place, not much else.

I'm glad to know it still exists though.:thumbsup:

Does anybody remember the little shop at the side of High Hazels Park that used to sell candy floss.

I remember that but I thought it was just a house with the front window open ? I dont recall them selling anything else but candy floss but my memory may be playing tricks as it was over 53 years ago. It was on the left hand side of the road going towards the park. Do you remember the Pierrot shows that were held on the open air stage there too?

The petrified tree stump that was there was originall found when the Midland Station was being built and subsequently sent to High Hazels, its now in the Botanical Gardens.

Living on the triangle I used to go all the time as a kid, my dad used to take us there to teach us how to play football down on the flatter bit near Goughs Shop.

used to take the model boat to the boating lake too,

and me and the lads from Brook used to play at cricket in the summer right up on the top next to Brown Baileys sports field.

having recently moved back to Handsworth I walk(or jog) through now whenever I get the chance.

I think the fossilised tree is now in Botanical gardens.

Joanl I remember the Easter-parades too, the whole bank would be full of 100's of people. We used to go there to meet one of my mates who was in Darnall Boys Brigade.

It's a beautiful park and I'd reccomend a wander round and take in the view from the top of the hill. You can see for miles on a clear day.

I remember the shop really well. They also used to sell pop and used cleaned out Sutherlands potted meat jars as glasses.

My friend fell in the boating lake too and we had to walk all the way home to Richmond Road with her soaking wet thorugh and covered in weeds.

Bl**dy Hell! I remember those sutherland pots!!!!. The used to do a 1d, 3d and 6d pop.

It's the AGM of Friends of High Hazels Park on Thursday March 1st,at Living Waters,81 Main Road,Darnall,at 7pm.

Come along and hear about the exciting new facilities which will shortly be installed in the park,and find out more about the proposed redevelopment of High Hazels House as a major community facility.

I remember High Hazels Park as a child, used to go there frequently - we lived in Pearce Road (off Prince of Wales Rd). We would pack up bread and jam sandwiches and go off for the day - How cool is that!! I also remember the park for the Whit Walks as a member of Darnall Congs Sunday School, carrying the banner and having our Whit Sing. Also had good nights there in Goffies with friends and especially the Vimto. Happy Days !

Do you mean the bomb holes? Cos my dad reckons he used to ride his bmx up, down and round some WW2 bomb holes. I intend to go check it out soon so if this is what u mean i'll let you know

The 'bomb holes' that you are refering to are in the wooded area at the top of the golf course. I used to ride up'n'dahn them with my friends, then when a bit older with my young son.

To get to them follow the gated track to the left of the golf course car park, at the back entrance of High Hazel's, opposite the place that does the double glazing units. The track dips down a bit then starts to rise, follow it to the top of this hill, and as it crests, to your right you should see another track. Take this track and follow it, past a couple of teeing-off points, through the woods to an opening near to the back of the Sheffield Parkway. Hey presto the 'Bomb Holes' to ride up'n'dahn. You might have noticed that along the side of this track are a number of 'Bomb Holes' or pits that are covered with undergrowth.

hope this helps!!

yes the shop was in an alley do you remember the giant draughts that you had to move with apole with a hook on the end

Am I off target here, or can I remember a woman being murdered in this park? Possibly 1950's when I was a kid.

Am I off target here, or can I remember a woman being murdered in this park? Possibly 1950's when I was a kid.

Yes, you're right as mentioned elsewhere, Russian Edna was the woman murdered in High Hazels Park.