High Hazels Park

Yes, you're right as mentioned elsewhere, Russian Edna was the woman murdered in High Hazels Park.

Thanks for that. It's something that I haven't thought about for years. Was beginning to think it was my imagination.

Thanks for that. It's something that I haven't thought about for years. Was beginning to think it was my imagination.

No, it's not your imagination. If you look on page 3 of the thread listings and go into What happened to the Duke of Darnall?, on page 3 of that thread is detailed about Russian Edna's murder.

No, it's not your imagination. If you look on page 3 of the thread listings and go into What happened to the Duke of Darnall?, on page 3 of that thread is detailed about Russian Edna's murder.

Do you remember Sammy Dodds? Mum you to say do not take sweets off him ever,and if she saw him offer one ,well!!

you all just gave me happy flash backs thanx

high hazels was my local park, born in darnell,moved to handsworth age 10

i was in the darnell 2nd scout troop, we led the parades to the park on whit

sundays.

also the sleding down camel back hill wwwhheeee

now umpity years on golden gate park is my local.

cheers dave

you all just gave me happy flash backs thanx

high hazels was my local park, born in darnell,moved to handsworth age 10

i was in the darnell 2nd scout troop, we led the parades to the park on whit

sundays.

also the sleding down camel back hill wwwhheeee

now umpity years on golden gate park is my local.

cheers dave

Where was 2nd Darnall scout troop based? Was it Darnall Congs? I belonged to that Sunday School for many years and remember the whit parades in High Hazels Park. Golden Gate Park is a bit different!! Been to San Fran and loved every minute of it. Hopefully we might return again some day!

Do you remember Sammy Dodds? Mum you to say do not take sweets off him ever,and if she saw him offer one ,well!!

Name seems familiar but can't remember what he looked like!

scouts was located in a church which i understand has gone now

on the intersection of darnell, forgot the name, we used to have

band practice in the church hall happy dayz

First of all Hi Bro (Singledad1)

the scouts (and cubs) were on Mandeville street headed by someone called Mr. Briggs, who was the scoutmaster with the US mil style hat (very hairy legs) and all 3 of us brothers were at some point in the scouts and the band, all played the side drum and very badly the bugle, Sunday morning parades, Whitsun march to High Hazels park, Fisher lane - Darnall medical aid parade and anything to walk round darnall causing a racket, much to the disamay of the Darnall Bucket bangers (Boys Brigade).

Wot happy times - look at the state of Darnall now!

Name seems familiar but can't remember what he looked like!

Sammy Dodds lived in the large terraced villas on P.O.W.Rd which is now Davy's car park, used to wear a 'mac' and a bowler hat.He used to go into Darnall and High Hazels talking to all the children or trying to.

Yes I remember High Hazels Park fondly from a child in the 50's. I used to go along with my little brothers on a sunday afternoon and rolly polly down the bank leading to the little cafe where I would relish VIMTO (I too still love vimto to this day). I can remember the little allotments and the chickens and pigs facing the park. We used to trair right to the top of the park and sneak onto the Brown Baily Sports Club to play on their playground. The other highlight was the roller skating area, loved rolling around it on my skates. Oh those were the days!!

I used to love the little water fountains, used to ride my bike up to them and get a nice cold drink. Was fun to find out whether they were working or not. I think there was one at the top of the hill near the shop and one near the bottom.

It's the AGM of Friends of High Hazels Park on Thursday March 1st 2007,at Living Waters,81 Main Road,Darnall,at 7pm.

Come along and hear about the exciting new facilities which will shortly be installed in the park,and find out more about the proposed redevelopment of High Hazels House as a major community facility.

It's our AGM again,Thursday March 6th,same venue and time.All welcome.