Split up with partner, having a baby in a month and want to study!

HI TO EVERYONE!! IM A NEW USER SO DON KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE ON HERE. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, HMM AL BE HAVIN A BABY IN ONE MONTH JUST SPLIT UP WITH MY PARTNER, AND I REALLY WANT TO START UNI AGEN IN SEPT, HAS NE1 GOT NE IDEAS HW I COULD STUDY AND BE A MUM TOO??!

I went back to uni with a 3 month old baby but I had a partner who was available for childcare. How many hours a week would you need to be in uni? Do you have anyone for childcare at these times? When my child was 7 months old, he went to nursery for 2 days a week. The LEA paid for 80% of these costs. This money came with my student loan. With regards to coping with workload, I found it okay even though my course was pretty intensive.

The biggest issue to sort out is childcare and nothing else should prevent you from studying. Good luck.

You can do your degree part time. It'll take you almost twice as long, but a full time degree and being a full time mum wouldn't be suitable, I don't think...

You should be able to get help with chilcare costs, as previously mentioned. Do you have any relatives that are local? Perhaps they could take the baby for a while?

I did uni whilst bringing up a baby on my own. Childcare really is the most pressing issue. I had no family to help and nearly ended up giving up.My child was very unhappy with being seperated with me for so long and this wasnt helped by not having consistent childcare so PLEASE make sure you have that in order. I also would suggest that you study part time (cheaper in the longrun) and you will get to spend more precious time with your baby. I truly regret not having spent enough time with mine , I could cry now just thinking about it. The time I did have at home was spent on study at her expense. Im not trying to put you off, just to think carefully.

Welcome Ruby.

Well I've done both though not at the same time and I can't imagine being able to juggle such demanding events at the same time, especially as a single parent.

If I were you I would wait and see how you are emotionally and physically after the birth of your baby before making any decisions.

Just enjoy your baby for a little while, after all nobody really knows how they will feel after the birth. I have times many heard women say that they are definitely returning straight back to work only to change their minds after the event.

Practically: Contact the educational establishment you're planning to attend, and ask them about provision there.

My opinion: Wait 'til next year to start your course, when you have recovered from the sleepless nights and emotional rollercoaster of giving birth. How will you feel towards your child if you end up ditching the course coz it was too much? ;)

Good luck. Life has a way of working out for the best, even if you can't see how just now :thumbsup: