My car is not my car!

One of the car is cone, Didnt think a vin is on the door, all mordern cars have vin on dashboard visable from outside though windscreen, have a vin on the door sounds fishy

only other thing you might be able to check is that the v5 is genuine. Don't know what the signs are, but again internet will probably tell you. A cloned car could be given a false V5 which shows the VIN of the original car with the new VRM they have out on.

details of the watermark to look for are on this page

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022402

also on that page is info on what to look for with the VIN for example look under any stickers as may be concealing original one thats been removed etc etc

A friend of mine is currently having similar problems ,apparently there are two identical vans running around with the same registration , it took two taxings before dvla sussed the problem mso much for their super computer..His van seems to be the "wrong "one and at the moment he is not allowed to take it on the road even though he has legal receipts for it

One of the car is cone, Didnt think a vin is on the door, all mordern cars have vin on dashboard visable from outside though windscreen, have a vin on the door sounds fishy

not on the door - on the sill of the door frame. I'm sure I have had a legit car with one there, and obviously not had a car new enough for the dashboard one!

Ok I've just got back in. What is 'cut and shut'?

Michi, the VIN is on the door AND the inside the windscreen. It looks legit to me but I'm no expert! It sounds from the comments so far that I'm on a loss and a car down! :(

not on the door - on the sill of the door frame. I'm sure I have had a legit car with one there, and obviously not had a car new enough for the dashboard one!

Bt mine has one here and its an 'R' reg :( does this mean its a fake??

R reg prpbably ownt have one on the dash. If the glass, engine and sill plates all look OK then it sounds like your car is genuiine. Take it to a garage and ask them to check it.

Just because the insurance company wrote it off doesn't mean the car was destroyed.

The car was probably damaged beyond economical repair, but someone has obviously had a go.

Did you get a vehicle check before you bought it?