Yorkshire 3 peaks walk

My advice is to do it on a day when it's not snowing, raining, windy or hot.

Some of us who meet regularly in here did the 3 Yorkshire Peaks over 3 days in May last year and were worn out every night!

Oh and I didn't even do the 3rd one cos I was so brassed off with getting wet thro' on the 2nd one that I went to the pub instead :).

Edited by scoobz
typos

No need to be scared. It's only 24 miles, which might seem scary, but really it isn't. I have never done this route before, but any able bodied person should be able to do it within a day, or less if fit. Just enjoy and have fun and take in the sights.

Just bear in mind that it's not just a case of walking 20 odd miles. The terrain is difficult, both rocky and very muddy underfoot, and each peak is on average 2000 feet. I know you don't start at sea level, but there's a lot of climbing to be done in those 3 peaks. To do the 3 Peaks challenge, if that's what you're doing, you also have to complete it in 12 hours.

I like to think that I'm quite fit, but there's no way I would try to do this without a lot of training first, and even then I still wouldn't do it cos I'm too old :(.

Edited by scoobz
omission

The 3 peaks challenge is good fun. And as scoobz already pointed out it "The terrain is difficult, both rocky and very muddy underfoot, and each peak is on average 2000 feet"..This is very true now add the weather as a major factor and it will become a very different challenge...

Having done the challenge 4 times for fun and also being on the support side too I would suggest you get yourself and team out a few times over the coming weeks setting yourself a 14mile, 20mile and finally a 24mile walk to get some prep done and also to give you an idea as to what you will be facing and to also identify your teams weaknesses and failings too as these will be a major factor on the day.

Now 24 miles is nothing to a fit person but you will need to be Mentally fit first and foremost. If you can beat the mental challenge (which is most peoples failings) then the physical side will be easy. PLEASE get yourself's out a few times before you go.

regards

Lohtse

Hi

anyone who says that 24miles of a physical challenge, that is walking the three peaks is easy as to be a complete fool or as never actually done this walk. I have done the peaks quite a few times and believe me it's hard going, but doable

My advice would be wear good boots/clothes and have a change of socks for each peak it's surprising what effect the new socks have on your feet. Back up is always a good idea, ststioned at the bridge and at the pub, this way you may be able to reduce the weight that you carry.

Good luck and enjoy.

Scoobz

you are not too old, sensible yes

No need to be scared. It's only 24 miles, which might seem scary, but really it isn't. I have never done this route before, but any able bodied person should be able to do it within a day, or less if fit. Just enjoy and have fun and take in the sights.

mmmmmmmmm 24 miles not scary , any able bodied person should beable to do it, mmmmmmmmmmm. To tell you the truth i am a fit healthy person but just to have the attitude that any person can do this walk would be untrue as others have said this walk does require some training and it is not for the faint hearted really.

Scoobz

you are not too old, sensible yes

Made my day that has, never been called sensible before :D

mmmmmmmmm 24 miles not scary , any able bodied person should beable to do it, mmmmmmmmmmm. To tell you the truth i am a fit healthy person but just to have the attitude that any person can do this walk would be untrue as others have said this walk does require some training and it is not for the faint hearted really.

Also, depending on the routes chosen, it would involve a fair amount of scrambling. When we did it we did fairly steep, scrambled ascents and long gradual descents.

Come on... you've taken what I said out of context.

It's a walk, so what is there to fear. I understand why the OP could be scared as this will be a new experience to him/her, but at the end of the day, there really is no need to be scared. If he/she is in good health and is able bodied then they will be able to get around the course. I never said it would be easy, it will be anything but... although armed with a positive frame of mind a decent level of fitness then it shouldn't be a problem.

On a final note... I have known amputees do this, and within the 12 hours. Food for thought :)

Edited by Agent Orange

I'll let you all know how it goes. I keep thinking if Chris Moyles can climb up Kilimanjaro surely I can tackle this!

Its the weather I'm worried about as I think that could make all the difference.