Anybody know a good pub quiz in Sheffield?

Just moved here for Uni and am keen to scope out the decent local pub quizzes. Anybody know any going on around the west (Sheffield Uni) end of town?

The Walkley Cottage (46 Bole Hill Road, Walkley) has a quiz every Thursday

The Cobden View (40 Cobden View Road, Crookes) has a quiz every Tuesday

The Masons Arms (2 Carson Road, Crookes) has a quiz every Tuesday

The above 3 pubs are all advertised in 'Beer Matters', the local real ale newsletter you can pick up for free in many pubs in the area.

Looking more central, there are quiz nights in the University Arms, Fagans, Red Deer, Devonshire Cat, Shakespeare, Kelham Island Tavern, Fat Cat, Harlequin and various others. In Broomhill the Fox & Duck is a decent pub and I believe they have a quiz night.

Finally, a shameless plug for Sheffield Beer & Cider Festival, taking place in Cemetery Park from 1st to 3rd October, a quiz will be held on the Saturday afternoon. http://www.camra.org.uk/sheffield for more details.

Three tuns on silver head st in town centre has a quiz on wednesday at 7.00 I think

The York in Broomhill does a wicked quiz every Wednesday....very popular with students

University Arms, from 9pm Tuesdays.

Fagan's, from 10pm Thursdays and 9pm Sundays - Sheffield institution!

We have an Entertainment Quiz on Sunday nights from 9.30 and a Sports Quiz on Mondays from 9pm at The Notty in Broomhill.

Both are free with beer/wine/dvds to be won.

20 teams last night for Entertainment and 16 teams tonight for Sport.

Guest sibon
We have an Entertainment Quiz on Sunday nights from 9.30 and a Sports Quiz on Mondays from 9pm at The Notty in Broomhill.

Both are free with beer/wine/dvds to be won.

20 teams last night for Entertainment and 16 teams tonight for Sport.

The Notty and The York are both fine pubs that deserve more student trade. I'm really pleased that the OP is looking for good pub based fun. A great many students seem to buy cheap beer from the Spar, down it at home, then head off to the Union, pausing only to use local cars as makeshift tramoplines. Well done to you... I hope you find a good quiz, and some good company in our excellent pubs.

Edited by sibon

The Notty and The York are both fine pubs that deserve more student trade. I'm really pleased that the OP is looking for good pub based fun. A great many students seem to buy cheap beer from the Spar, down it at home, then head off to the Union, pausing only to use local cars as makeshift tramoplines. Well done to you... I hope you find a good quiz, and some good company in our excellent pubs.

Yes its all too common that students buy cheap beer at 10 pence a can from Eurospar or whatever they charge and then go straight to clubs....but its not JUST students, locals do that too...its part of the problem with the pub trade in general.....but yes indeed its great to see people looking for pub based fun locally once again........the so called credit crunch has hit students too, and more so than I originally thought......ones I have spoken to are all too aware of the fact they may leave Uni and not find work, and will have a crippling debt over their head too......the days of students going mad and going on massive spending sprees are over, at least for the present anyway...one I spoke to 2 days ago said she had £13 a week to live on after student village rent......certainly not going to go on a real bender with that......

Edited by goldenfleece

The Plough in Sandygate. Nice beer too.