Penny Farthing Nightclub

The Penny Farthing was on Arundel Gate and then changed to the Hoffberhouse or something like that and then to Penny's and many other

things. I'm sure someone will come up with the correct names etc.

I remember going in the Penny Farthing when all the Sheffield

United players used to go in, late 60s.

One night Howell Jones was in [ the actor] with his then wife

Kathy McGowen, ok you now going to ask who's Howell Jones

and Kathy Mc Gowen... Well I hear she now lives with Michael Ball???

Nah, the Hoffbrau House was next door to the Penny Farthing

Nah, the Hoffbrau House was next door to the Penny Farthing

Was it? I thought it was the same place .

Comments welcome.

Age destroys the brain, so does booze.

My Mum worked there in the 70s, then when it was Pennies and Scamps.

Penny farthing Became Penny's and Samantha's not sure which first. I was in there after time when the Motown groups all came to sheffield to meet up after the whols stable came to uk. Four Tops were at the FIESTA were I worked wit Alan Kilby, Eric Cutler, Roger Allet Mark Lawson.

The Motown stars who came to sheffield that night were Temptations Stevie Wonder, Supremes, jimmy Ruffain.

Penny farthing Became Penny's and Samantha's not sure which first. I was in there after time when the Motown groups all came to sheffield to meet up after the whols stable came to uk. Four Tops were at the FIESTA were I worked wit Alan Kilby, Eric Cutler, Roger Allet Mark Lawson.

The Motown stars who came to sheffield that night were Temptations Stevie Wonder, Supremes, jimmy Ruffain.

Not Samanthas john, Scamps and Isabellas.

My admittance charge was usually a small scotch for Ronnie. :hihi:

I saw Joe Cocker perform there a couple of times before fame touched his shoulder, it wasn't a bad venue, and he was fantastic.

David Lidgard, immaculate in blue blazer and grey trousers, with his Aston Martin parked opposite the entrance, my Mini was in the car park. David blew his brains out in The Ladybower when his step father, Harry Hart ran it. :(

Ronnie used to slip me in free (sorry, for a small scotch again) for the private New Year party.

Christ all this was well over 40 years ago, many thanks to the op for the memories. :thumbsup:

:help: I have found this posting that relates to David Lidgard whilst doing a Google search, as I am researching my family tree and I think he may be a more distant relative. He certainly lived in Sheffield at some point. If anyone can help me with confirming this by adding in more detail for me about him, that would be really helpful in answering if this is the same person or if it isn't and I am up a blind alley!

Some questions that would be really helpful to get answers to

* I believe that David would have been about 21 in 1969? .............is this the case?......... if not this isn't the same person and all questions below can be ignored

* Do you know the names of his parents? - any names are helpful in expanding the family tree further

* I can see that he is now dead……... What year approximately would this have occurred? …...& does anyone know why?

* Do you know if he had ever married &/or had children?.......again any names are helpful in expanding the family tree further

I know this is a very random request but any help is very much appreciated. In advance a big thank you to anyone who can help me fill in the blanks! :)

:help: I have found this posting that relates to David Lidgard whilst doing a Google search, as I am researching my family tree and I think he may be a more distant relative. He certainly lived in Sheffield at some point. If anyone can help me with confirming this by adding in more detail for me about him, that would be really helpful in answering if this is the same person or if it isn't and I am up a blind alley!

Some questions that would be really helpful to get answers to

* I believe that David would have been about 21 in 1969? .............is this the case?......... if not this isn't the same person and all questions below can be ignored

* Do you know the names of his parents? - any names are helpful in expanding the family tree further

* I can see that he is now dead……... What year approximately would this have occurred? …...& does anyone know why?

* Do you know if he had ever married &/or had children?.......again any names are helpful in expanding the family tree further

I know this is a very random request but any help is very much appreciated. In advance a big thank you to anyone who can help me fill in the blanks! :)

His dad owned the Plumtree cafe, the building is still there on your left as you turn left at the lights, at the bottom of Broadfield Road, I can't recall how he died or why he left circa £80K to David in the early 60's when you could buy a new semi for £3K, as he had a surviving widow. I reckon that David put the pistol to his head circa 1970, I think that I know why, but will keep this to myself.

His mother (a lovely woman) married Harry Hart who owned The Sidewalk Cafe on Chapel Walk, along with the Four Seasons Cafe in Pond Street bus station (now The Interchange), Harry went on to run the Red Lion directly behind the City Hall.

I'm 63 and was slightly older than David, I never heard of him fathering any children, but a rich good looking young guy must have had plenty of chances to do so. He was always as right as nine with me, but we mixed in different circles. I would guess that the likes of Brenden Ellwood, Frankie Jones and Fred Meggitt might be able to fill in the blanks, these guys mixed in the same circles as David.

I hope that this is of some help to you.

Thank you very much for such a quick response and taking the time to do so. You have provided some very useful information and this is of a great help to me. It allows me to be sure is the same person.

One last question - would you know the christian name of David's parents?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your help, with kind regards

To MarcyJ

I knew David Lidgard when we both lived in Fulwood. This would have been about 1961 to 64.

I don't want to discuss too much on an open forum, however

Thanks for sending the thread - totally understand re open forum......you say however but then it finishes.......

Hi

Sorry, I should have put a full stop after However.

Is there any way to enter a private message?