Fishing in the River Don - City Centre

I gave a bit of advice to you all and cerey has had good success - well done! My other advice would be that if you put the time in, there's pockets of fish to be found all over the Don, if you find the right spot you're onto a winner. There's loads of it I've not explored around Sheffield but I'm almost certain that the course fish hole up in certain areas (in numbers anyway) whereas trout and grayling can be found everywhere.

Dont be suprised to catch big wild brown trout - like 5lb, a lot of people assume these are barbel when they get broke - I've weighed one at 4.5lb and one at 5lb (not caught by me) and lost a huge one at the net which I hooked on breadpunch fished on the pole. Theres also some big carp in several places, even in the upper Sheffield reaches.

You need a licence to fish anywhere in the UK bigflesh :wink:

not in Scotland I believe.

Had a decent morning on the Don today. Started at 8 finished at 12 had 7 trout and 3 grayling and pulled out of something big must have been a barbel. Only packed in cos my fingers were numb

i took the dog in beeley woods this morning and the river looked well with the bit of extra water in it. if it's the same level at the weekend i think a few hours on the stick may be on the cards!

Wer abouts did u get grayling? N wot on?

neepsend near gardeners rest mate got em all on red maggot. 2 guys catching grayling on 5 wiers stretch yesterday [warren street end about 500 yards up stream] getting 1 every other trot down

Had a great day yesterday on the don, (not in terms of fish) had 2 nice grey ing and lost something massive, think it was a trout as it had a tail belonging to the the trout family. Some other fishermen said they'd caught several fish, where is the best place to fish with a float, preferably without having to wade, cheers

upstream from the gardeners rest [neepsend] theres a small car park go through it and theres a couple of swims you can fish stick from the bank. In summer when th waters low iv fished the wagglerto the far bank with good results