Fishing in the River Don - City Centre

Whenever I use the Five Weirs Walk from the city out to Attercliffe, there's usually someone in waders fishing in the Don.

What are they catching there? How clean is the river?

The river don has been cleaned up over recent years, but I can`t say what fish are there, The canal is the same, with loads of fish !!! , can`t name them all, but have seen pike and I think bream to name two, always people fishing the canal and don near where I work (effingham road).

I am lucky because the canal is directly outside the back door here

Regards

jan2002

people fishing the don are basiclly after trout, theres quite a lot in there. the canal has various fish as said but some of the carp are up to 20 pound.:thumbsup:

I've had loads of fish from the Don at various spots from town onwards. Whoever is fishing there will be pulling out Trout, Roach, Rudd, Bream, Barbel, Gudgeon, Chub, and even Grayling!

The Grayling being there proves how clean the river Don is these days. There was even a Salmon pulled out a couple of years back near Doncaster :o

Maybe one day we'll have them back at Salmon Pastures, where they belong :wink:

Have been away for 30 years and then the Don was just a river of rust coloured sludge.

Was a fishing nut back in those days and really good to hear how the river has been cleaned.

Just can't imagine people actually fishing in the town and catching suff.

Fantastic.

Suppose the downside is the loss of industry and jobs in the steelworks.

Do you need a license to fish the Don?

You need a licence to fish anywhere in the UK bigflesh :wink:

yes you WILL need a licence to fish anywhare i think it costs £23 a year for adults and £5 for juniors under 16 the river don is very much under estimated these days there are all sorts of fish in the river now i saw a report in 1 of the angling papers that a seal was spotted somewhare near doncaster :thumbsup:

Originally posted by steevie/d

yes you WILL need a licence to fish anywhare i think it costs £23 a year for adults and £5 for juniors under 16 the river don is very much under estimated these days there are all sorts of fish in the river now i saw a report in 1 of the angling papers that a seal was spotted somewhare near doncaster :thumbsup:

are you sure it wasn't a Moose?

Originally posted by robbie

are you sure it wasn't a Moose?

Nope, it was a Seal :) It was in the papers and they tried finding it again. They gave up saying it must be making it's way back to the sea.

no matter how much theyve cleaned it up it cant be that nice??????

used to be terrible, orangey brown, sludgy crap..i wouldnt go near it tbh

Originally posted by melthebell

no matter how much theyve cleaned it up it cant be that nice??????

used to be terrible, orangey brown, sludgy crap..i wouldnt go near it tbh

Read a little about the Grayling mel ;) They'll only tolorate/survive in the cleanest of water. I've caught them in the Don near the end of the Wicker.