Pike fishing Sheffield canal

Might have a go tomorrow with some new tackle, let you know how I get on :)

---------- Post added 31-12-2012 at 22:35 ----------

Is it free to fish in the other direction? Like under the bridge near centatainment? Never tried there.

As far as I know it's now free all way from Sheffield to Rotherham (minus the first basin at Sheffield end). Could well be wrong though but pretty sure behind entertainment is fine.

Any advise offered of where to fish for Pike, (in my opinion only) should be kept to private messages so as not to inadvertently pass info to poachers.

Some folk may think this a bad idea but it's something I have thought for quite a while.

Fish theft is going unchecked, if we don't try to do something who will. Not the EA thats a fact !

Yeah that does make sense, it's sad that we have to censor our posts, but I think it would make me feel worse that someone is using my advice for anything other than catch and release (unless it's permitted allowed to eat the odd one ofc).

That reminds me, the best tactic I've found for pike is to tie an old wooden peg to a length of PVA string and walk on the tow path with it dangling in the edge. It catches the tastiest fish :P

That reminds me, the best tactic I've found for pike is to tie an old wooden peg to a length of PVA string and walk on the tow path with it dangling in the edge. It catches the tastiest fish :P

Very good advise it's a tactic I've used to great effect.

The only think that's struck is the fact uneducated ignorant people like you who assume just because the fishermen are sat their all day well it must be their litter??!!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=503703

Check this thread out, it started to go the same way this thread is.

You will have to go a long way to find an angler who doesn't clean up after themselves - they do exist but most of them are responsible, cleaning up their own and others litter - I myself do this every time I go.

Stop picking on a minority - what about all the others who use canals and water ways to walk, run, exercise their dogs, cycle etc etc? No.... it's just the fishermen that litter, of course...

Erm sorry mate, but it is pretty much the anglers that are responsible. I fish the canal a lot and I know what rubbish gets left. Meat tins, sweetcorn tins, groundbait bags, most of the crap on the towpath is fishing related. I often pick up a bagfull. Cheers, Si.

Any advise offered of where to fish for Pike, (in my opinion only) should be kept to private messages so as not to inadvertently pass info to poachers.

Some folk may think this a bad idea but it's something I have thought for quite a while.

Fish theft is going unchecked, if we don't try to do something who will. Not the EA thats a fact !

I agree with your sentiments but see 2 downsides to them:

(1) How do you know poachers are not on this forum? You could be sending private messages to someone who poaches!

(2) The poachers are probably the ones with the best knowledge of good pike spots.