Sign in to follow this  

[SOLD] Campground/Hostel in or around Sheffield

I think there used to be a camp site in that area on Lodge Lane, Lodge Moor/Rivelin area. It was in the grounds of a farm, might be the same one.

Originally posted by "Malaika"

Hi Lickszz, I thought you might find this! :D

Glad you agree it's a good idea, I wish the council would see it that way. They're not exactly making it easy for us to get it off the ground at the moment. We don't need a five star hotel as much as we need the Stop-in Sheffield Independant Youth Hostel (!). We are losing revenue as people like our Netherlands guest find cheap places to stay outside of the city.

Hi there,

I what way are they making it difficult for you? You right though, for example when you go to the Netherlands there are Youth Hostels that you can stop in. Sheffield doesn't seem to have that option.

8)

Thanks for the tips about the Fox Hagg Farm on Lodge Lane, found the adress and phonenumber on the internet, so I'll give 'em a ring and find out whether they have a place for me to stay. If not I might take the offer on camping in the garden (thanks by the way)...but if not neccesary I don't want to be an inconvenience to you...

Jos

I would have been able to offer to put you up in a youth hostel if we'd got a building yet, so the offer of a garden is my being naturally hospitable! Glad you managed to find out about the camp site though, you'll be camping in proper countryside with the city just at the top and bottom of the hill!

This bit is for Lickszz,

The Stop-in Sheffield Youth Hostel and our frustration with the council.

Sheffield has no YHA (Langsett is the nearest), it has no YMCA and it has no Independant Hostel.

It does have many visitors, as above, who are looking for low budget accomodation. Sheffield is one of only three large cities not to have an Independant Hostel, perhaps the only city to have none of the above accomodation types.

Nottingham city council were aproched by somone with a business plan about opening a hostel. They saw the need for one and rented a building to him at little cost, the business grew, the rent went up and new tourists were brought in, everyone wins.

Myself and my partner approach our council, we have money to put into the project, but not enough to buy a property........Sheffield council apparently have no empty properties.....except the ones they are selling on the quiet, giving us no oppertunity to try to raise more money if the perfect building did turn up, which they have, twice, that we know of anyway.

No councillor will pay more interest than 'that's a good idea but we can't help....'

Sheffield council want to attract and help large growth industries and five star tourists. They are not interested in bringing in new people, young people who also have money to spend, they are not interested in bringing us into line with everywhere else in terms of tourist accomodation provision or in the benefits that would be brought to the city with it. They don't understand the truely broad market of tourism and are put off by the word hostel. They are incredibly short sighted in repeatedly passing up an oppertunity to bring about a small but much needed improvement to the city. I've been working on this for a year now, and it has been very difficult. Several people before us have given up, I don't blame them.

Renting privately is financially near imposible and very risky, buying would make sense but the market gives us little hope of this either. Also no doubt that when we do find a place the council decide not to give us planning consent. (I tend to start to get negative, wonder why!)

There, that's the whole story out now, any ideas ??

Originally posted by "Malaika"

I would have been able to offer to put you up in a youth hostel if we'd got a building yet, so the offer of a garden is my being naturally hospitable! Glad you managed to find out about the camp site though, you'll be camping in proper countryside with the city just at the top and bottom of the hill!

This bit is for Lickszz,

The Stop-in Sheffield Youth Hostel and our frustration with the council.

Sheffield has no YHA (Langsett is the nearest), it has no YMCA and it has no Independant Hostel.

It does have many visitors, as above, who are looking for low budget accomodation. Sheffield is one of only three large cities not to have an Independant Hostel, perhaps the only city to have none of the above accomodation types.

Nottingham city council were aproched by somone with a business plan about opening a hostel. They saw the need for one and rented a building to him at little cost, the business grew, the rent went up and new tourists were brought in, everyone wins.

Myself and my partner approach our council, we have money to put into the project, but not enough to buy a property........Sheffield council apparently have no empty properties.....except the ones they are selling on the quiet, giving us no oppertunity to try to raise more money if the perfect building did turn up, which they have, twice, that we know of anyway.

No councillor will pay more interest than 'that's a good idea but we can't help....'

Sheffield council want to attract and help large growth industries and five star tourists. They are not interested in bringing in new people, young people who also have money to spend, they are not interested in bringing us into line with everywhere else in terms of tourist accomodation provision or in the benefits that would be brought to the city with it. They don't understand the truely broad market of tourism and are put off by the word hostel. They are incredibly short sighted in repeatedly passing up an oppertunity to bring about a small but much needed improvement to the city. I've been working on this for a year now, and it has been very difficult. Several people before us have given up, I don't blame them.

Renting privately is financially near imposible and very risky, buying would make sense but the market gives us little hope of this either. Also no doubt that when we do find a place the council decide not to give us planning consent. (I tend to start to get negative, wonder why!)

There, that's the whole story out now, any ideas ??

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Let me get this straight. Sheffield Council have informed you that they have no properties available? what about all the properties that they are selliing th Souty Yorkshire Housing Association and other Housing Associations? What type of property do you require size wise? and is there any other special requirements? Have you been in contact with your local MP regarding this?

You see...you get it, you understand the rediculous situation we are in. I ask do they have any empty properties, they say no, they then empty places and sell them at auction to get as much fast money as they can, fair enough, they need it.

I find an empty property, I ask about it, infact I asked the deputy leader, who has, supposedly read the buisness plan, and someone from the property department what the future use of the building is. This by the way was a face to face meeting. The building is to be used by a community group......they didn't look at me when they said it, they also said it was not going to be sold in the near future. I then find out, under my own steam, that the community group doesn't exist and actually they have sold the building, but to who and when I am unable to find out.

I have had little responce from any of the three councillors who are aware of the project and were 'helping' me, since I let them know I was not given straight answers the last time I met with them.

We need a house/office building etc, with between six and twelve bedrooms. It needs to be within a mile of the city centre, but if the buidling was perfect (as one ex social services building was, they sold it), then it could be further out. At this last meeting I was told they would contact the housing assocciations you mention about our requirements, again, I've heard nothing.

I think I will have to start again in forging some sort of communication with an MP. Mr Blunkett was interested in the idea, but he's a busy man! Maybe the Minister for Tourism.

I'm also meeting with an accomodation officer at Sheffield Hallam next week. I feel we just need to talk to the right person to start the ball rolling, it's just very hard when you keep being fobbed off.

Any more ideas gratefully recieved.

Hi,

I need some creative idea for maneging our small self catering property.

For more information please visit http://www.villamandalin.com

Thanks in advance

Rana